Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Default 18 days on the Statendam

My roommate and I are cruising on the Statendam for 18 days{Christmas-New Years} with my mother and sister thru the Panama Canal. We booked deluxe verandah suites thinking being on the ship so long, the regular verandah suites might be too small. We also got a heck of a deal on them! Linda, my roommate and I have never been on a cruise longer than 7 days. She is worried that 18 days will be just a little too long. We leave on Dec. 21 from Ft. Lauderdale and arrive in San Diego on the 10th of Jan. Also my mother talked us into going to Ft. Lauderdale on the 18th and spend a few extra days at a hotel before our cruise.
We are both in our mid 40s and wonder if there is enough to do during days at sea on this ship. Note, we are not drinkers as we both attend AA and also wonder if there are AA meetings on this ship. The last time I traveled at Christmas on the Westerdam {7 days} I found only 3 meetings during the whole cruise. But, that was 4 yrs ago.
This is my second cruise with Holland America and having been on only one other cruise {Westerdam, Caribbean 7 day Christmas in 2005} Im new to all of this and find it amazing and wonderful beyond words!
Thank you for any comments, Donny
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I did the 14 day Panama Canal on the Statendam last Feb and LOVED it! There are culinary demos, cards, lectures etc...(similar to what was offered on your previous cruise) if you are not into any of that, you should really invest in a good book. I brought all the magazines that I had not had time to read and left them behind afterwards. There are quite a few sea days so I guess it depends what your interests are. The library is quite extensive but just to warn you, if the ship is hit with Norovirus as it was on my cruise, the books will be locked away.

There are AA meetings on every cruise I have been on but I have never heard of anyone needing to go more than 3 times in 7 days. Sorry for my ignorance. I think if you go to the first meeting and are in need of additional meetings, someone might be willing to accomodate you or there may be others looking for daily meetings.

The nice thing on this Panama Canal cruise is that typically, there is not a lot of party activity and the crew do not push drinks like on other cruiselines.

Have a wonderful cruise!
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Mayna,
We spent a month on the Statendam and were never bored. but then I don't get bored at sea. You will have plenty of ports to keep you busy. take a couple of good books. Nothing like being out on the balcony in a warm tropical breeze reading a good book! the Canal itself is fascinating too.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10