Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What to pack for Alaska

I've been on many warm weather cruises throughout the Caribbean, but I've never been on a cruise to Alaska. I just booked a 7 day Alaska cruise on Amsterdam for May 10th. I'm guessing its still going to be a little (maybe a lot) chilly at that time in Alaska. On warm weather cruises, I always packed some shorts, t-shirts and button up shirts, smart casual trousers, a sport coat and a tuxedo. Maybe a light jacket and a sweatshirt.
I have no clue what to pack for Alaska. Is the cruise more casual or more formal than the Caribbean? Should I even bother packing the tux? Should I even bother packing shorts and t-shirts? Should I stick with corduroys and sweaters? (I don't really wear jeans) Will I need a heavy coat? I'm clueless.
I was thinking a pair of shorts and a couple t-shirts or polos. Mostly long sleeve shirts, a couple sweaters and cords and khakis. Rain parka with removable fleece liner. Sport coat and tie for formal nights. For some reason I have it in my mind that formal nights in Alaska will be somehow less formal. Is this true or am I being delusional. I have no problems packing and wearing a tux, in fact I get great pleasure from wearing a tux. I look good in a tux

What am I bringing that I wont need and what essentials am I missing? So, give me some advice here. Thank all of you in advance.

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy View Post
I've been on many warm weather cruises throughout the Caribbean, but I've never been on a cruise to Alaska. I just booked a 7 day Alaska cruise on Amsterdam for May 10th. I'm guessing its still going to be a little (maybe a lot) chilly at that time in Alaska.

We sailed on the Veendam May 7/07 and the weather was cold with lots of rain, in fact we hit a storm the night before Ketchikan that we couldn't get into the port, so the Captain just turned around and we had a leisurely trip back to Vancouver.

On warm weather cruises, I always packed some shorts, t-shirts and button up shirts, smart casual trousers, a sport coat and a tuxedo. Maybe a light jacket and a sweatshirt.

I have no clue what to pack for Alaska. Is the cruise more casual or more formal than the Caribbean?

I think it is but if you feel good in your tux, then take it. I always think a man looks GREAT in a tux.

Should I even bother packing the tux? Should I even bother packing shorts and t-shirts? - maybe one pair of shorts and a couple of t's or golf shirts - who knows you could get warm weather.

Should I stick with corduroys and sweaters? I would (I don't really wear jeans) Will I need a heavy coat? I'm clueless.

I was thinking a pair of shorts and a couple t-shirts or polos. Mostly long sleeve shirts, a couple sweaters and cords and khakis. Sounds good.

Rain parka with removable fleece liner. Perfect - you may not need the fleece liner if you have a heavy sweater under the jacket.

Sport coat and tie for formal nights. For some reason I have it in my mind that formal nights in Alaska will be somehow less formal. Is this true or am I being delusional. I have no problems packing and wearing a tux, in fact I get great pleasure from wearing a tux. I look good in a tux if you look good in it take it.

What am I bringing that I wont need and what essentials am I missing? A hat and gloves for cold weather. So, give me some advice here. Thank all of you in advance.
If you have anymore questions, please just ask.

Old December 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Familiar Face

Default trip to Alaska

Been to Alaska twice on HAL The last time was just two years ago in May. We has beautiful weather. So you could experiance either extremes. In Juneau I actually didn't even need my jacket it was so warm. Our trip was on the Zaandam and the roof was opened over the pool and people were actually sunbathing. Of course around the glaciers it was cooler and my winter jacket worked well with gloves. Just bring layers and you can add or take off as needed. As for formal nights, only saw a few tuxes. Most men just wore suits. It is a more relaxing cruise as the highlights are really the scenery.

Read and post cruise reviews