Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Beginner

Default Looking for comments re:Rotterdam

Considering 30 day cruise on Rotterdam to Lima, Peru in April. Anyone with comments about the ship, staterooms, service, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Holland America is a nice cruise line. The Rotterdam / Amsterdam are not my favorite ships, however. The dining room food is not as good as it could be and the ships have just one alternative dining spot (Pinnacle Grill). The Lido buffet on HAL ships has not changed much over the years.

The staterooms are very nice and roomy, but there are not that many verandah cabins (newer ships have more).

If you get a good price it is a nice cruise, watch out for airfare, a visa for Brazil and make sure you have plenty of ports of call.
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:21 AM
Familiar Face

Hi there,

We are on this cruise & looking forward to it...even with the news today (see below)

I am sure that all will be ok for the cruise as we will fly from Melbourne to LAX on the new Qantas A380.

Myself & my wife normally do our own think in ports but after research, we have booked 3 $39 half day trips in Costa Rica, Guatamala & Nicuaragua

Hope we see you on board.

Regards Noel

Here is todays report:

I got this report from my mom who is currently on board. What is code red? A: Noroviris

We've experienced two events that we've been fortunate not to have had happen before. First, we've been Code Red for the last two days. That is supposed to be lifted soon, but today's event, a sea day, has taken over everything else. A "man overboard" was reported to the bridge, just before noon. What was done, then was to chart where the person went overboard and turn the ship around to that area. By 2:00 PM, an airplane came to circle around and look for anything in the water. By 4:00 PM, the plane had spotted something, and the ship headed there. By 5:00 PM, a tender was dropped into the ocean and found what was believed to be the person. Many of us were on deck 3, and as the tender returned to the ship, the Captain asked that all on deck 3 please, out of respect, to leave the deck. I don't know anything else. We will find out soon if we'll miss our port, tomorrow. I don't know if we'll get information about the person. There was an announcement, earlier, for someone in cabin x, to please call the front desk immediately. Tonight is formal night and I don't think anyone wants to dress up.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

We will be on the Rotterdam Sunday for the 33 day South Pacific cruise. We will certainly come back with a review.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Code Red or Code Alpha is usually an emeergency - heart attack, etc. Not a good thing to hear.