Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Passenger

Default Only Cruised Carnival - What's in Store for us on HAL?

This will be only our second cruise. Our first was on Carnival's CONQUEST in 2009. We booked the Delbert McClinton Cruise on the WESTERDAM for 7 January 2011. I'm assuming HAL will be a step up from Carnival? (However, we enjoyed that cruise.)

Read and post cruise reviews

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilleW8 View Post
This will be only our second cruise. Our first was on Carnival's CONQUEST in 2009. We booked the Delbert McClinton Cruise on the WESTERDAM for 7 January 2011. I'm assuming HAL will be a step up from Carnival? (However, we enjoyed that cruise.)
It really depends on your criteria for stepping up. HAL has more refined ships and the decor is more subdued with wood tones and the look of classic elegance.

The entertainment is a bit more subdued but their production shows are good and they will have the usual assortment of singers, comedians and novelty acts plus pool side and lounge bands. You will not have the R rated comics and the pool side music is not as loud. You will also not have the pool games such as the belly flop and hairy chest contest.

It is by no means boring. You will have many activities for sea days and a large number of excellent excursions to choose from. However, on most cruises, there will be far less to do late at night. It really depends on the passenger demographic of your cruise. The older the contingent and the longer the cruise, the earlier things shut down at night.

I love HAL and it is a nice change of pace. If you want non-stop action and lively activities it may not be your thing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Admiral

As Mike said, it probably depends on how old you are. if you are twenty somethings, you would probably prefer the floating amusement park of carnival, but if you are older, you will definitely appreciate the elegance and sophistication of HAL. On HAL there is a real feeling of being at sea on a ship as opposed to a floating resort (although you are surrounded by luxury. The food is very good and the service is second to none. It is the rare person who does not thoroughly enjoy a Holland America Cruise! Bon Voyage!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Admiral

We are about to try HAL again after an absence of about 9 years.
In the interim, we've done several Carnival, a couple Princess and a couple Celebrity, all of which were enjoyed for different reasons.
My memories of HAL (Maasdam on our honeymoon) are that is was clean, beautiful with understated elegance (different to the gawdy Carnival decor), and that the service was exemplary ship-wide. I remember a waiter wanting to open my husband's lobster and cut my steak for me. Cabin stewards couldn't do enough for us. We were upgraded to a suite for our honeymoon and it was spacious and wonderful.
I also took part in a passenger "talent" show and it was a lot of fun.
Can't wait to try them again!

donna