CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Longer cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/372284-longer-cruises.html)

Fieldmouse March 4th, 2010 08:50 PM

Longer cruises

We're thinking of taking a 28 day roundtrip cruise through Panama but one of our worries is that the meals will become too repetitious.

I would just love it if anyone has taken what would be considered a longer type cruise, if you would let me know how you felt the food service was.

Oh...and if there were any other issues that we should take into consideration when planning this kind of cruise. All comments appreciated!
:razz:

earl March 5th, 2010 02:11 AM

I have never taken a 28 day cruise , longest has been is 14days.
You always have at least 3 or 4 choices on the menu.

Kuki March 5th, 2010 09:47 AM

Unless you're going on a McShip I wouldn't worry too much about repetitive menus:D

I've done several 15 -18 day cruises. You see the odd item repeat several times (especially favorites like Prime Rib, and such) but also enough choices to keep it all sort of interesting.

Don't know about you, but at home our menu definitely repeats over a 28 day period. :razz:

Fieldmouse March 5th, 2010 11:12 AM

Kuki: You're so right...never thought of it that way.

Last night my husband and I decided to go ahead and book a HAL 14 day cruise...(up to now the longest we've cruised is 12 days on Celebrity) just to see how we like a longer cruise on a HAL ship. Since there really isn't any rush to jump into a month long cruise, we'll do the 14 days then maybe 18 days THEN the 28 day.

I have a friend who loves cruising, and had only done seven days...sailed a 10 day and hated it, seven was the magic number for her. For us, after seven day cruises we tried a 10 then a 12 day and now seven day cruises are just too short. We're hoping that our magic number isn't 12 days!

cruiselady23 March 6th, 2010 12:42 PM

I am sailing on the Maasdam April 2 roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego (28 days). This will be my 4th extended cruise on Holland America 26 days or more. They are fantastic cruises and don't worry about the food being repetitious. The menus are wonderful, always including something new and different. Bon Voyage!!

Fieldmouse March 6th, 2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiselady23 (Post 1278566)
I am sailing on the Maasdam April 2 roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego (28 days). This will be my 4th extended cruise on Holland America 26 days or more. They are fantastic cruises and don't worry about the food being repetitious. The menus are wonderful, always including something new and different. Bon Voyage!!

You know THIS is the type of cruise we were thinking of! We saw the itinerary of the Maasdam and the Statendam....both cruises look perfect for us. (No flying hahaha)

In the mean-time there is an HAL 14 day Alaskan cruise out of Settle with a port itinerary we've never visited before. Not only does it looks like fun but it will give us an opportunity to see how we do on a slightly longer cruise. You know 'Baby Steps'. :razz:

Hanna June 30th, 2014 04:49 PM

Hi, I have cruised the Panama Canal 2X and both were 21 day cruises on same ship...once it was Princess a few years ago and more recent Holland America and honestly the meals where not repetitious.... although after 2 weeks, I found myself less interested in food since by that time had eaten way more than normal. With the many choices... it is hard to get bored with the food... of course is depends on the cruise ship/line... etc.....

Paul Motter June 30th, 2014 06:10 PM

On the right ship the food is always good. Think about how repetitious our diets are in real life anyway....

zdgp July 2nd, 2014 05:50 AM

No Problem

We do one cruise a year, usually four weeks or longer. Ten years ago we did the 7 and 10 day cruises. On short cruises many people are trying to “eat their money’s worth”, by indulging in all the food that they have paid for. You can’t do that on a long cruise, or you’ll pay for it later.

When eating on a long cruise you should pace yourself and create your own variety. We sometimes eat a light breakfast or lunch, and skip the heavy stuff. If that evening’s menu choices don’t appeal to you, there are always some standard items available every day.