Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Red face Dover transfer to ship

Hi all - I'm new to this forum lark so I hope you can help me. Only done 1 cruise before which involved flying. In May we are sailing from Dover with HAL for a Baltic Cruise. Having booked the cruise through ROL (Readers Offers Ltd through the Telegraph), and not directly with HAL or a travel agent, free Dover parking is included in our trip. What I'm wondering is, once parked at Dover Harbour, is it possible to walk to the Cruise terminal or what are the options if not ? Are there any shuttles or anything ? Don't fancy a long trek (hopefully not in the rain !) with cases abound - no flying so extra luggage will DEFINATELY be taken ! Don't want to give hubby a coronary before we get on board !
Advise anyone please who may has done this before ? Thanks alot (hopefully)
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Hi there, where abouts have you been told you will be parking? last time we cruised from Dover, we drove right up alongside the cruise terminal, unloaded there & handed the keys over. I would imagine that HAL will have the same operation regardless of who you booked with, unless ROL have told you that they have an alternative car park.

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Passenger

Default Dover transfer

Hi there, thanks for the reply, we haven't been told yet where we will be parked other than it will be at Dover Harbour. ROL tell us we will get our voucher 10-14 days before we sail. Boarding will be from around 1 pm (we sail at around 5pm), so we are hoping to get there mid morning-ish. From what you say am I right in thinking that someone at Dover parks the car for us once we have unloaded and takes care of the keys (which we pick up after the cruise) Obviously I will try and find out more info nearer the time from ROL.

I'm impressed by your cruise history - do you have a favourite line you like to sail with ? This will be our second cruise - first one was with Princess where we were thoroughly spoiled.

ChrisSheilaB
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Hi there again, obviously ROL will confirm all the details close to the time - we are on their mailing list, and although we haven't used them yet, we understand that they give a first class service.

Presuming that nothing has changed at Dover, then yes, you turn up, the porters will take your cases, you fill in the paperwork with the parking agent hand over JUST THE CAR KEY, you have to retain house keys etc. and walk up stairs to the embarkation lounge, grabbing a first look at your ship as you go :o)

One thought, has your parking been booked, or did ROL send you a voucher with a number that you have to phone to confirm the requirement. Worth checking as it will save a lot a panic on the day if they are not expecting you.

You may want to take a look at Dover Cruises - Cruise from Dover with Fred Olsen Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Costa Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Holland America Line, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines , Oceania Cruises, Orient Lines, Princess Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruise, Silve which has links to the cruise lines, port maps, car parking etc.

As for our cruise history, we are very lucky living only 6 miles from Southampton docks, add to that I hate flying, we love meeting people & enjoy travel & food, then "Yes" cruising was made for us :o)

We have never tried HAL, so would be interested in hearing your opinions when you return, and in the meantime, if there is anything we can do to help, please feel free to ask. If we don't reply, please either send us a PM, or post the message under the Europe forum, as that will catch my eye.

Have a great time, in the countdown & on board,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Passenger

Thumbs up Dover Transfer

Hi again, thanks for all that info - you've been very helpful. From what I gather ROL have actually reserved us parking, so I'm assuming we already have a slot located (I hope so anyway !)

Will definitely let you know what we think of HAL, as I said it's only our 2nd cruise, the 1st was with Princess, so we're hoping for the same great experience. If so, I can see a few more being sorted in the future !

Thanks again for all your help, will be in touch:
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Passenger

Thumbs up Baltics Trip June 2010

Hi all

Have just returned from the Baltics on Eurodam - we had a great trip. couldn't fault the ship for food, service and organisation - everything was well planned and presented. The crew couldn't be more helpful and pleasant, nothing too much no matter how trivial, in the evenings the atmosphere in the dining room on some nights particularly at the end of the trip was just great - the crew had put on their own show previously - amateurs yes but so entertaining - some real jokers amongst them ! I know it's their job, but it's so nice to be made to feel as if you are welcome - it was so genuine.

Liked the little touches - maps on the beds at night of the ports being visited next day, chocolates, the free HAL shopping bag, (came in VERY useful)towel folding etc - ok so it may be standard stuff but it was still nice.

The only 2 things I would say is 1. (as mentioned by someone else) the photos were VERY expensive to buy and 2. we didn't feel there was any atmosphere in the bars after 10 pm once dinner was over. The majority of the passengers were 70_+ I would say and retired quite early, we didn't feel inclined to sit and have a drink before settling down.

This would not put us off though, we choose a cruise for the itinerary and this one did not disappoint.

Would I recommend HAL ? Yes definately would go with them again.