Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM
First Mate

Default French Balconies?

New to Holland. I usually sail RCCL/Celebrity. I was about to book a balcony for a very good price, when the agent informed me that the price I was quoted was for a French Balcony (also called a Juliet Balcony, slide the door open, have a grating, nothing to walk out on). I have never heard of these on ocean ships, only on river cruises. I tried to find a picture, a description, cabin size, locations, something, and have not been able to find anything. Do they really exist on the Eurodam?

Can someone fill me in?
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM
First Mate

Ok, I found it. It's called a spa cabin, on the top deck, by the crows nest and some cafe, and a place with cabanas called the retreat. Looks like a slightly bowed area from the graphic. Anyone ever stayed in one of these? I realize at the top of the ship while you would be safe from rogue waves (), you should get some more swaying. Can anyone tell me about the retreat area, and the cabanas -- I assume the cabanas are for rent, but how about the deck chair area -- any restrictions? Looks nice.
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Admiral

I just wrote you a long reply and it's disappeared into outer space.

I'll write it again, when I have more time. However in the meantime, check out HAL's website - Our Ships - Eurodam, click on deck plans, Observation Deck and go from there.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Eurodam doesn't have them (as far as I know), they put them on the older ships they just remodeled in dry dock on rooms that formerly were oceanview.

Personally, I think French Balconies are fine, but I am not one to use a balcony for sunbathing, etc. The idea of a balcony to me is to just have a way to get fresh air, open the door and be able to look out over the side of the ship from end to end - and take pictures from your cabin not through glass. You can lean out really far as long as the railing is there (and it will be). The last FB I had we had about 10 inches, and you CAN get out there and see as much as you would with a regular balcony.

You can do all that with a French balcony. And I am not being a cruise line "aplogist," I really mean I find them to be almost as adequate and useful as a regular balcony.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Paul - the Eurodam was the first ship to have the Juliette balconies & the Nieuw Amsterdam will have them. The older ships have followed as each goes into drydock so I guess they have been popular.

My DD's friends had one in December on the Eurodam and they quite liked it.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Okay - my mistake. I guess I forgot about them.
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Paul - you're forgiven. :o We all make mistakes.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yikes, I personally can't stand those balconies. The Intercontintal Hotel in Puerto Rico has those, and, honestly, I would not recommend them. No place to sit etc. Ok, you can stand there and wave to people like you are Miss America, but really, who wants that.
I like the real thing. You know. Like coca cola. No messing with me. Hah!
Best wishes,
Suse