CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/index.php)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=253)
-   -   Smoking on Holland Balconies? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373136)

shanicans April 10th, 2010 04:51 PM

Smoking on Holland Balconies?
 
:DAre you allowed to smoke on Holland's Balconies???

Mike M April 10th, 2010 08:28 PM

Yes:

You can smoke on your balcony and the stateroom.

Take care,
Mike

earl April 10th, 2010 09:58 PM

Yes you are allow. but the smoke can travel to the next balcony.
try not to smoke if someone is on their Balcony.

DeeDee April 11th, 2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl (Post 1285483)
Yes you are allow. but the smoke can travel to the next balcony.
try not to smoke if someone is on their Balcony.


Or speak to your neighbours and make sure it's OK with them if they are on the balcony also. Just be respectful of them. Who knows, they may also smoke.

If the ash tray you are using is an open one, unlike the ones found on the Lido deck, then please do not leave it outside when you come in. You never know if the cigarette is still lit/smoulding and if a gust of wind should come along and blow it over the side or onto the furniture on your balcony. I think this is what happened on the Princess ship that had a fire on one of the balconies......at least I think it was Princess.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise and have a great time.

suse April 11th, 2010 09:37 PM

of course
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shanicans (Post 1285452)
:DAre you allowed to smoke on Holland's Balconies???

Holland America is a big smoking ship. I will never sail with them again. But, if you are a smoker, you will be in heaven. "Ashtray of the Seas" is the nickname. If you haven't quit yet, you will enjoy. But, if you are like me, a non-smoker, you will find it insufferable, no matter what. Oh, people will say, oh<I never smelled it and all that, but the reality is, if you are sensitive to the smell, you will say, "ugh, that really (use your imagination)".
But I get in trouble for my o-pinions.;)

rollerdonna April 11th, 2010 11:26 PM

Oh dear. I am a non-smoker and highly allergic to cigarette smoke, and am
going on HAL next month. I sure hope I don't have balcony smokers near me!
As for the original poster, I think all cruiselines allow smoking on balconies....

donna

DeeDee April 12th, 2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suse (Post 1285628)
Holland America is a big smoking ship. I will never sail with them again. But, if you are a smoker, you will be in heaven. "Ashtray of the Seas" is the nickname. If you haven't quit yet, you will enjoy. But, if you are like me, a non-smoker, you will find it insufferable, no matter what. Oh, people will say, oh<I never smelled it and all that, but the reality is, if you are sensitive to the smell, you will say, "ugh, that really (use your imagination)".
But I get in trouble for my o-pinions.;)


I don't understand your statement that HAL is a big smoking ship. :confused:

The only places that smoking is allowed INSIDE the ship is in the Casino and Sports Bar. These can easily be avoided if you are allergic to smoke or don't like the smell of it. Some nights the Casino is a "No Smoking" area.

Unlike years ago smoking is no longer allowed in any of the dining rooms, Crow's Nest, Ocean Bar, Explorer's Lounge, Lido, Dolphin Bar, mid-ship pool, etc. Smoking is only allowed on the Starboard side of the aft pool and at the aft bar.

Yes, you can smoke in your cabin and on your verandah, but I am sure the day will come when all HAL ships will be "smoke free". We have sailed HAL for nearly 30 years and not once have I "smelled smoke" in our cabin...yes, I have smelled it as I walk by a cabin where someone is smoking, but that's about it . Our DD is very sensitive to the smell of smoke & perfume and I have never heard her complain about the smell of smoke in our cabin..........she has complained about someone wearing too much perfume in the elevator. :roll: She avoids the Casino and the Sports Bar areas and the Starboard side of the outdoor pool.

jacdenv24 April 12th, 2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1285650)
Oh dear. I am a non-smoker and highly allergic to cigarette smoke, and am
going on HAL next month. I sure hope I don't have balcony smokers near me!
As for the original poster, I think all cruiselines allow smoking on balconies....

donna


Celebrity does NOT allow smoking on the balconies. And it is enforced! which is just one reason why CC is our cruiseline of choice.

earl April 12th, 2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1285650)
Oh dear. I am a non-smoker and highly allergic to cigarette smoke, and am
going on HAL next month. I sure hope I don't have balcony smokers near me!
As for the original poster, I think all cruiselines allow smoking on balconies....

donna

You will have no problem with smoke odor on board . As DeeDee said there many places where smoking is not permitted. I have cruise many times On HAL and We are non smokers. GO, enjoy your cruise. you will
want to cruise again on HAL.

suse April 12th, 2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl (Post 1285781)
You will have no problem with smoke odor on board . As DeeDee said there many places where smoking is not permitted. I have cruise many times On HAL and We are non smokers. GO, enjoy your cruise. you will
want to cruise again on HAL.

yes, you are correct. However, woe to you who has booked a balcony and has smokers on either side of you. It's awful.
If I booked HAL again, which isn't going to happen in a hurry, I'd book oceanview cabins. That way, I'd be assured of clean air.
Suse

Skipper's Mom April 12th, 2010 09:45 PM

We have cruised with HAL three times with verandahs. We have had smokers near us on all trips. However, it was not too offensive but we made our presence known by various methods. No matter where we go in life, there are smokers, especially outdoors. We avoid the casinos because they are full of smokers but that means we save money!! LOL!! At least we are out in the open and the smoke blows away.

earl April 13th, 2010 03:52 PM

On any cruise ship there is always the chance you may smell some one smoking a cig. and also when you are at the hotel, walking on the street , on the beach, what are you going to do, stay home anf hide in your house. I would not pass up a cruise because I might smell some sm oke.

Bad Dawg May 28th, 2010 04:20 PM

Yes you can but truthfully for us at least we weren't bothered once by smoke. Maybe we got lucky but it wasn't an issue at all.

edward01ca June 19th, 2010 06:37 PM

I have been in Vegas casinos and they reek of smoke and aerosols trying to cover up the smell of smoke. So I presume HAL is like this. I really regret booking our first cruise now on any line. And just because the port side of the aft pool is smoke free does not mean that the smoke just drifts across, just like in the non-smoking part of a restaurant. Bad news. What do you do if your cabin stinks of cigarette smoke? Put up and shut up?

Fern June 19th, 2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edward01ca (Post 1298552)
I have been in Vegas casinos and they reek of smoke and aerosols trying to cover up the smell of smoke. So I presume HAL is like this. I really regret booking our first cruise now on any line. And just because the port side of the aft pool is smoke free does not mean that the smoke just drifts across, just like in the non-smoking part of a restaurant. Bad news. What do you do if your cabin stinks of cigarette smoke? Put up and shut up?

If you think your cabin smells (of anything) let your Room Steward know and they'll take care of the smell. They have "magic" freshener's that will get rid of any odor.

DeeDee June 19th, 2010 09:58 PM

I don't know what they use to get rid of the smoke odour but whatever it is sure does the trick. :D

Our DD can smell smoke a mile away and never once in all her cruises with us has she ever complained about smelling smoke in the cabin.

sail7seas June 21st, 2010 02:32 PM

We have been greatly bothered by smokers on abutting verandas twice in the last year but not too much before that.

On Eurodam in February, there were smokers on both sides of us and I don't think they ever left their balconies. It was so bad our second week that we could not use our veranda the whole cruise. Clearly, that is unacceptable. When we tried to politely speak with them about it, we were told 'it's allowed'.

One other cruise, on Maasdam, there were smokers on the deck below us who stood at their rail and smoked their heads off one after the other. That smoke drifted straight up to our veranda and we missed out of sailaway every afternoon. We had to escape inside our cabin.

The casinos are disgusting and we never can spend five minutes there. They have certainly lost any chance of us gambling as long as they permit so much smoking. We can't breathe. Breathing is not a luxury one can choose to give up.

I have been told (by someone who should know of what they speak), we may be getting a great Christmas gift that smoking may soon be banned on HAL verandas. One can only hope.......

If HAL does not tighten their policy to at least match that of other lines, they could easily become the cruise line of choice of smokers and seeing only 20% of North Americans are smokers, they could well chase away lots of non-smokers who are tired of paying for verandas they can't use because of smokers.

It is time they followed the lead of so many states/counties/provences/countries that have strict no smoking policies. That is the world we live in and HAL should start to realize non-smokers are considering other vacations/different cruise lines to avoid the smoke.

We live in a state where no smoking is permitted in any work place. Just about anywhere you go is someone's workplace so we are never exposed to smoke at home. When we get to the ships, we can't stand it. More and more states have similar laws.

Skipper's Mom June 21st, 2010 06:26 PM

Suggestion (may have been said before): Why don't the cruise lines limit smoking on balconies to one side of the ship? And, perhaps, add a charge to enjoy this privilege? This way, the smoke is contained on one side and drifts backward to the stern. Just one idea.

Fern June 21st, 2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom (Post 1298905)
Suggestion (may have been said before): Why don't the cruise lines limit smoking on balconies to one side of the ship? And, perhaps, add a charge to enjoy this privilege? This way, the smoke is contained on one side and drifts backward to the stern. Just one idea.

While this sound's like a wonderful idea, it won't work :(. On some cruise's you'll have more smoker's, on the next you'll have fewer. The cruise line's want to fill the ship. They'll never "divide" smoker's and non-smoker's unless smoking becomes illegal (as long as the US can tax smoker's it's not going to happen!). And that's a fact :D.

Skipper's Mom June 21st, 2010 10:40 PM

They could limit smokers to the aft sections of decks with balconies beginning with the stern cabins first so to limit exposure of smokers, as they did in the "olden days" of airlines. The smokers sat in the rear of the cabin. But, then again, some folks mightconsider cabins in the rear to be the premium cabins. Just my opinion but this is a tough issue and will no one will win.

Fieldmouse June 25th, 2010 06:49 PM

HAL is one of the few cruise lines that we can afford that offers longer type cruises. The one thing that has PREVENTED us from booking an extended cruise (over 10 days) is that HAL allows smoking on their verandah's. We can't imagine paying for the cruise of a lifetime with a beautiful verandah and being stuck with someone who smokes on one side on both sides of our cabin. It would be such a waste.

As it is...we recently went on an RCCL cruise to Mexico...the couple next to us would enjoy their morning coffee and a couple of cigarets on the verandah. They were a very nice couple...but they smoked like trains! Their pungent smoking habit put a damper on our sitting out on the verandah for morning coffee.

Like I said...can't imagine trying to deal with that on an extended cruise...suite or not...there's no guarantee who will be your neighbor.

suse June 30th, 2010 11:42 AM

Well, I just surprised me, myself, and I! I booked again with HAL even though I despise their liberal smoking policy. Just booked an oceanview, that's all. No verandah this time because of the smoke drifting my way.
Hopefully, that will work out just fine. I do love Holland America but hope they change the policy.

E63mhs July 8th, 2015 08:10 AM

I have sailed over 200 days on HAL but no longer. Smokers have made HAL their cruiseline of choice and it has become intolerable.

Bruce Chafkin1 July 8th, 2015 09:47 PM

You resurrected a thread from 5 years ago just to complain about smoking?

Kennicott August 25th, 2015 01:18 AM

Except for HAL, being the only game in town among the majors, which allow smoking on balconies, there isn't much problem anymore with smokers on cruises.

Of course there a few of the smaller lines like Fred Olsen Cruise lines, Safa and Seabourn which do. But HAL gets so much attention that one website reserved a thread on their HAL forum just for HAL smoking concerns. Not any more though. Got so testy and nasty that the moderator closed the thread. Almost humorous at times. One of the big problems is that posters continually get way off topic. Another is that they start picking on each other, to the point of screeching. What I hate most is all the fabrication of fact, misleading straw man argument bandied about and outright lying.

As I first posted on that thread, "Any rate, we watch and wait, and pay attention to those HAL posters with very recent HAL cruise experience in order to become knowledgeable about any pertinent trends that might germinate. In the meantime, HAL will be sailing without us.", so we still are watching/listening and not getting any younger while at it. I'm getting ready to completely bag it with HAL, maybe by adding another line to our repertoire, if we can find one we like.

If you are a HAL cruiser, I wouldn't get as discouraged as we are though, providing you don't do the long voyages. It is probably a pretty good gamble that on a week or so cruise one won't run into a problem with an adjacent balcony smoker.

Our problem is four fold with HAL: 1. HAL not only allows cigarette smoking on balconies but they also allow cigars. 2. We book balconies, if not available we don't sail. 3. We like long voyages and for the most part shun short ones. 4. HAL is the only major cruise line which allows balcony smoking and it is clearly evident that smokers put off by recent no balcony smoking rules on their previous favorite line(s) are gravitating toward HAL for their smoking cruise experience, upping the possibility one will get smokers as neighbors since the percentage of smoking guests are higher on HAL now than any of the others. Therefore, it is not worth the gamble to pay all that money for a cruise where we take the chance of getting stuck with chain smoking cigar smokers on nearby balconies for weeks on end.



momofmeg August 27th, 2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suse (Post 1285846)
yes, you are correct. However, woe to you who has booked a balcony and has smokers on either side of you. It's awful.
If I booked HAL again, which isn't going to happen in a hurry, I'd book oceanview cabins. That way, I'd be assured of clean air.
Suse

I agree. I will never pay extra for a balcony on HAL as my last cruise on HAL my neighbor was a cigar smoker and you know how bad that smells. Of course that was almost 6 years ago and I have not cruised HAL again. I am not saying never though because for the right itinerary I would.

To be fair Carnival Corporation which owns HAL also owns Princess, a very similar line except Princess doesn't allow smoking in rooms and on balconies. I think CC has covered the market by offering both choices to the cruising public.

ARIES29 September 3rd, 2015 02:41 PM

Yes and on starboard side of lower promenade of most ships and usually one outdoor bar. Casino IF playing and limited to certain areas.

tracinsasha September 12th, 2015 10:46 PM

Just finished a cruise on the Westerdam on 9/5/15. Yes you can smoke on the veranda. Make sure you ask the steward for a closed ashtray - you remember the kind where you push the small post built into the ashtray and the silver disc spins around taking the cig butt with it. Just make sure the butts are out before you leave it unattended as it gets a bit windy - overly cautious probably but better safe than sorry. You can also smoke in the casino I believe as well as the outdoor portion (on one side) of the Lido deck (very few ashtrays though). Enjoy your trip!

Manuel September 12th, 2015 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1521141)
You resurrected a thread from 5 years ago just to complain about smoking?


People do have a right to complain if they wish.


I appreciate the info.


TM

momofmeg September 18th, 2015 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1524398)
People do have a right to complain if they wish.


I appreciate the info.


TM

Me too Manuel. Who cares if it was 5 years ago if the info still applies.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.