Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Beginner

Default No luck with Holland America

I think consumers should be aware of what they are up against this summer when booking a cruise with Holland America. With the volcanic ash still causing havoc donít be surprised if you donít get your money back. Holland Americaís customer service is not up to par and very disappointing. We had our honeymoon booked for several months through Holland America. We chose a cruise to the Mediterranean because my husband won a gift certificate through the charity auction at his work. When news hit that the volcano blew and flights were being cancelled I was on the phone trying to reschedule our flights that very morning. We had intentionally scheduled 3 days in Rome before the cruise took off so we had some extra time. We had very positive experiences when dealing with Delta who tried very hard to get us there but it wasnít going to work out. Their customer service was excellent and so was hotels.com. We were refunded by Delta and hotels.com. Holland America fully acknowledges people couldnít get there in fact the cruise ship we were supposed to be on even left a day later than it was originally slated for. But, when we called and spoke with several different representatives there was nothing they would do for us. All we wanted to do was reschedule our cruise since we were trapped and couldnít fly there. They told us we would receive a cancellation fee & if we wanted to get our gift certificate portion back they wanted us to pay another $894 to get the $2000 credit from the gift certificate. I really would have hoped Holland America would have done the right thing. The other cruise lines worked with their customers to reschedule or provide a refund. I canít understand this kind of service from Holland America. I was thoroughly disappointed. We were really looking forward to this and it was our honeymoon. All Holland America cared about was whether or not we wanted to pay them $894 to get the certificate back.
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Sorry for your troubles.

Did you not have Insurance to cover your trip? We never go anywhere without insurance - both for travel/baggage/flights and medical. This is so important.

A couple of times our flights have been cancelled and we received a full refund for the flights and our cruises.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Beginner

Thanks - we did but it doesn't cover the gift certificate that we bought in the charity auction that Holland America donated. ;<
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You would think that in the spirit in which the gift certificate was donated that Hal's charity would follow through in the same spirit, in these exraordinary cricumstances..

My trip to England for Cruisemates to view the new Celebrity Eclipse,was canceled for the same reason.. I hope it can work out better for you.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 17th, 2010, 04:00 PM
First Mate

Default Holland America

I am surprised the gift certificiate was not covered under the insurance. I always buy insurance. The only time I have needed to use it, it covered everything...even the charge to return frequent flyer miles back into my account.

Sorry you had the experience.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Troublecruising, I am very sorry about the disruption to your honeymoon. But I'm a little confused. We disembarked the HAL Eurodam in Rome April 19, during the height of the Icelandic ash scare, stayed in Rome for three days and flew home the 22nd. The Rome airport was NEVER shut down at any time. It remained open throughout the affair. You could have taken ANY direct flight from the Eastern seaboard, e.g., NY or Washington Dulles to Rome with no difficulty.

Re trip insurance: Never leave home without it, ever.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10