Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Beginner

Question Input on the Amsterdam please??

Thank goodness for this message board!

My DH and I are headed for Alaska for 14 days this September on the Amsterdam. As this will be the first cruise for both of us, we've done a lot of research on everything from booking the cruise to life at sea to shore excursions (although any and all information is welcome on these subjects!).

My concerns now, however, are regarding the ship and overall HAL service. While I've read many positive comments, most of those were for other ships. I have read several negative comments about the Amsterdam, from bland food to less-than-immaculate cleanliness, to poor customer service. There were also comments about "stealth charges" and now we're wondering exactly how much out-of-pocket expense will be incurred.

We're so excited about taking this cruise that it's heartbreaking to read such negative comments. Has anyone out there had an Amsterdam experience? What are your thoughts on the food, service, etc.?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Hi & welcome!!...1st thing don't worry it'll be fine!! A lot of complaints or moans are comparative..this isn't as good as that sort of thing. Never been with HAL but have admired the ships when we have been next to them in port, they have a good Reputation.
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've been on 7 HAL cruises, and will be sailing the Amsterdam this coming September. Never had less than an excellent experience.

Don't know how you define stealth charges. You'll be asked to provide your sail and sign card anytime there's an extra charge, so there's nothing stealth about it. The only thing that's automatically added to you acct. are the tips - $11 per day per person.

Common extra charges - alcohol, soft drinks, specialty coffees, bingo, gambling, photos, shore excursions, spa services, purchases in gift shops, and specialty restaurants.

My first cruise was to Alaska on HAL - a wonderful experience all around.