Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Beginner

Default Marco Polo Airport in Venice to Ship

We are scheduled for the 12 days Mediterrean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam from August 19-31 can anyone tell me what is the best and easiest way to get from the Marco Polo airport to the ship?
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Admiral

are you flying into Venice the same day as your cruise ?
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Beginner

Default Marco Polo Airport in Venice to Ship

Yes we are.
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah8424 View Post
Yes we are.

I would have your travel agent or whoever you booked your cruise with, book HAL's Transportation. It's the safest way to go since you are flying in the same day.

Make sure you book it asap.
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Beginner

Catch an ATVO bus from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma. It costs like 3 euros and has baggage storage underneath. There are also city buses that are even cheaper but no luggage.

From Piazzale Roma, there are usually free shuttles to the ships. It's a VERY short distance. In a pinch, get a taxi.

In all likelihood (considering the general price) it would be downright foolish to buy a cruiseline transfer.
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry Mason, but I have to disagree... I have flown in and out of Venice a few times and I think the most efficient way is the cruise line transfer - or a car taxi.

Both the airport and the seaport are accessible to cars / vans. You do not need to go through the hassle of boats - especially the vaparetto - to get to a ship.

There is not even any guarantee they will have a free shuttle - then you would be stuck at the train station and have to walk to the ship (or get a water taxi which would cost the same as a regular taxi from the airport).

Even if they have a free shuttle, you are talking about potentially hours of waiting for the right vaporettos (water buses) to get you where you want to go.

Plus - a free cruise line shuttle would be more likely to go to the Plaza San Marcos - not the train station.
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Sorry Mason, but I have to disagree... I have flown in and out of Venice a few times and I think the most efficient way is the cruise line transfer - or a car taxi.

Both the airport and the seaport are accessible to cars / vans. You do not need to go through the hassle of boats - especially the vaparetto - to get to a ship.

There is not even any guarantee they will have a free shuttle - then you would be stuck at the train station and have to walk to the ship (or get a water taxi which would cost the same as a regular taxi from the airport).

Even if they have a free shuttle, you are talking about potentially hours of waiting for the right vaporettos (water buses) to get you where you want to go.

Plus - a free cruise line shuttle would be more likely to go to the Plaza San Marcos - not the train station.
I checked and the free shuttle runs from Piazza Roma Sat, Sun, and Mon. every 20 minutes (Why would you go to S. Marcos?) You can also get a land taxi or public #6 bus from P. Roma to Marittima. I mean, they can't be more than half a mile from each other.

There is no case in which you'd need to take a vaporetta or water taxi. Both P. Roma and Marittima are end points of the causeway.

I would agree with you that a direct transfer or taxi is more efficient and somewhat faster, since you don't need to change buses and face a second luggage loading. OTOH the bus is more comfortable and 75-90% cheaper, depending on the number of people traveling. Or if you were really adventuresome

There's information on the VTP site. Venice Terminal Passeggeri

Huh. Looking at the website, I found that they have a new "people mover" (cable operated tram) running from P. Roma to Marittima for 1 euro, three-minute ride.

Not sure if it's open yet, but at 3-4 euros per person for the self-reliant transfer, those cruise transfers and $50+ taxi rides are looking even more outrageous.
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry - I never knew there is a free shuttle between the airport and the train station. I have never heard that. I thought you were referring to a free shuttle by the cruise lines between the ships and Plaza San Marcos.

I did know about the new monorail, though - they are quite proud of it.

I suppose it is OK - but you will still need to get a cab to get from the Piazzo Roma (train station) to the pier.

Right? Or am I overlooking something else?
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Admiral

I'm with Harrison..if this is your first trip to Venice, after flying all night one may be tired and jet lag, but by taking the water taxi to the heart of the City, your energy level really picks up when you realize you are entering the city..expensive ..yes, but it's magical...but isn''t everything in Venice, but it's well worth it IMHO