Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Passenger

Yeah exactly.. if you don't like formal night.. just go to the Lido or eat in your stateroom.. No one is forced to dress up if they don't want to.

I just think it's ridiculous for those people to say that HAL should scrap the formal night altogether. There are alternatives to eating in the MDR during formal nights, but let people enjoy formal night if they want HAL to keep it going.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks John - I knew that already. It may not surprise you that I am not a MDR person - service is so long and I do not enjoy sitting at a table whilst others eat all the courses - I eat max of two. My principal meal of the day is Breakfast - how I love Breakfast

Just as you and I have exchanged views on tipping, we agree to disagree about formal nights

I don't know why but the plight of those poor people in Pakistan et al spring into mind as we discuss whether there should be a strict dress code on Formal nights - ironic.

Thanks for your input.

Happy cruising to all
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
First Mate

Keep the formal nights and separate from the other casual cruise lines. Last time there was a poll on this subject some two years ago the formal nites won and it does not surprise me on Holland. If you do not like it eat somewhere else on the ship.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
I choose HAL for itinerary and not for the dress code. Carnival does not go where I want to go - simple! Anyway Carnival owns HAL ?

Formal night IMHO is so 19th century - get real. I cruised Azamara and people were very relaxed because of no strict dress code. You can have elegance without Tux and gowns.

Yes, Carnival owns HAL and has for some years now.

Carnival also owns Costa, and Seaborne, and Cunard, and Princess. And a number of European cruise lines.
Total ships in the CCL fleet number about 100, maybe more.
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Admiral

I am just back from a cruise on the Ryndam and from what I saw, only 5% of the passengers followed the dress code. Not that I am complaining!

Jeans were almost mandatory - I felt overdressed and I never anticipated that!

Also why would anyone want to dress up to eat in a manic MDR with poor food and poor service is beyond me!

I and several others only ate in the Pinnacle or the Canaletto. As a consequence, it was very difficult to obtain a reservation in these alternatives to the MDR.
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Relatives of ours cruised on HAL in March 2010 and said on formal nights the majority of men wore khakis
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Admiral

I still think it's odd that people will get ready for a formal night (night, not dinner) then as soon as they have finished dinner rush back to change.
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Why would you find that to be odd ?
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:04 PM
First Mate

Are you that uncomfortable and maybe you should push back from the table a little more early.
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
The irony re: the post above commenting about older folks and formal nights is many of the more senior guests do not dress formal anymore. Most look just fine but they are not among those who are particularly 'dressed.'

I agree HAL is not going to soon discontinue formal nights but think it has little to do with age demographics.
I have mixed feelings about formal nights. I enjoy getting dressed up since I rarely have that opportunity outside of cruising. And in the past have bought formal clothes just for the cruises. However, next year we are going on our first European cruise and spending some time in Europe before it. We have decided to go with only one roller bag each so I am really using my imagination as to what to bring for formal night. It has to be something I could wear to a nice place in Paris also if you get my meaning. So I understand why some cruisers don't like it. I still enjoy the formal nights but this time will not be dressing up quite so much as previously.
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Admiral

Women seem to enjoy seeing me in a tux or semi-tux.
Let's face.... it we guys who dress up are simply more sexy !!

I've sailed Carnival a bit lately and what changed is the term "formal night", now it's "elegant " ...elegant?...formal?...it's all the same to me.
In May I'm going back on HAL for the first time since 2004 and the black suit will be accompanying me.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old November 19th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Beginner

I can see why Carnival dropped Formal night as I have been on Carnival out of Galveston many times and I hate to say it but the class of passengers and style of entertainment is well below HAL et al. They have in essence booked trasy people and have trashy entertainment.
Old November 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardd2662 View Post
I can see why Carnival dropped Formal night as I have been on Carnival out of Galveston many times and I hate to say it but the class of passengers and style of entertainment is well below HAL et al. They have in essence booked trasy people and have trashy entertainment.
You are certainly are going to get some response on this one however having cruised on many some 45 in all I will take offense to your comments as we were on the 49 day Carnival Splendor around SA and almost all dressed in appropriate attire and this cruise was divided into three segments.You may find more following the dress code on Celebrity and Holland and I will agree that on cruises less than a week many will not be bothered with the requested dress code.My experience is that some will dress the same way in local restaurants and you are not going to change their ways.
Old November 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I meant I would like to have the passenger determine if they wanted to wear a tux or gown
The passengers already DO determine if they want to wear a tux or gown.
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

Have read many complaints, by non-Texans, about cruises out of Texas being way below "casual." Since I've been on 15 Carnival cruises since Carnival started. I've never seen the kind of dress I've read about out of Texas. Of course I haven't cruised out of Texas. But I have seen the Carnival dress become more and more casual as the dress code became all but completely ignored. In spite of numerous polls recommending that Formal Nights stay and that the dress code be enforced, Carnival changed to "Cruise Elegant," which I read is nowhere near Elegant at all. I have not cruised Carnival since the end of Formal Nights. Just coincidence, not a protest.
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would say that more than 1/2 of the people dressed up (few gowns, some tuxes) for at least the first formal nite; maybe only 1/4 on the second formal nite. However, we did note that people who were eating in the PG were more dressed up than others who did not. I would say that HAL passengers (who are somewhat older as well) dress up more than on other cruise lines which we had been on recently (NCL, RCL).
Having said that, hubby and I always dress up every night and we eat in the PG every night as well, but that is our thing so that is why WE do it.
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2katz3fsh View Post
I would say that more than 1/2 of the people dressed up (few gowns, some tuxes) for at least the first formal nite; maybe only 1/4 on the second formal nite. However, we did note that people who were eating in the PG were more dressed up than others who did not. I would say that HAL passengers (who are somewhat older as well) dress up more than on other cruise lines which we had been on recently (NCL, RCL).
Having said that, hubby and I always dress up every night and we eat in the PG every night as well, but that is our thing so that is why WE do it.
We enjoy the Pinnacle Grill also and dress appropriately, however, that is not the case for all passengers. On our first evening in the PG recently onboard the Zuiderdam, we observed quite a few very casually dressed men, one even in SHORTS! Could not believe my eyes! Most wore jackets, not necessarily with ties.
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Skipper's mom--noticed only on two nights men walking in with "casual smart" shirts, but at least no tshirts, no flip flops. On the LeCirque night, it actually said on the invitation to wear jackets (but did not have this the rest of the evenings). As I said, we were (pleasantly) surprised to see people "dress up" for this type of dining.
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Admiral

we love dressing up. My daughter is 4 and if you ask her, the best part about cruising is wearing a party dress EVERY night.

We'd still dress up even if they did away with formal night.

To each his own. What someone else is wearing does not impact my night, and if we feel good about dressing up, we will!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Admiral

I counted the number of men not wearing a jacket at the last formal dinner ,there were 8
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Wow, that is quite a statement. "Trasy people" huh? I would suggest if you don't like the "trasy people" that go out of Galveston, you find another port. Carnival has many, one for everyone’s taste I would venture to say, no matter which cruise line you choose that is under their corporation.

If you are eluding that it is Texans that are "trasy" then you don't know Texans. I saw you on Johns blog and watched him cut you off at the ankles as well.

I hate to break it to you, but there are many folks (or in your world "trasy people") that are not from Texas that sail out of that port.

It has been my expierance thru life that haters like you have a misarable life, so for that I am sorry. You only live once, so smile and try to enjoy it.
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Admiral

Since I'm a fan of both HAL and Carnival, I can say that both are classy.
Neither one is "trashy"

/ticker.png">
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Admiral

I am going off at a tangent here - I have sailed HAL only once; 'classy' is not an appropriate description JMHO - esp in relation to the food which I would describe as mediocre. I know the crew were tired and a major crew change was about to take place. On the basis of that cruise experience, I would not sail with HAL again unless the itinerary was exceptional and no other cruise line had a similar itinerary.

JMHO

Annie
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Default HAL

Quote:
I am going off at a tangent here - I have sailed HAL only once; 'classy' is not an appropriate description JMHO - esp in relation to the food which I would describe as mediocre. I know the crew were tired and a major crew change was about to take place. On the basis of that cruise experience, I would not sail with HAL again unless the itinerary was exceptional and no other cruise line had a similar itinerary.

JMHO

Annie
I just finished a 10 day HAL cruise .The food was EXC ELLENT . Everything on the ship as far as activities was great.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddwilson View Post
I have mixed feelings about formal nights. I enjoy getting dressed up since I rarely have that opportunity outside of cruising. And in the past have bought formal clothes just for the cruises. However, next year we are going on our first European cruise and spending some time in Europe before it. We have decided to go with only one roller bag each so I am really using my imagination as to what to bring for formal night. It has to be something I could wear to a nice place in Paris also if you get my meaning. So I understand why some cruisers don't like it. I still enjoy the formal nights but this time will not be dressing up quite so much as previously.

We have cruised/traveled through Europe a number of times and understand about trying to keep luggage to a minimum.

A 'little black dress' works fine for formal night or lovely night out in Paris. (I get your meaning. )

In Paris, you might put a fitted black cardigan over the dress and for formal night, add some bling.

An evening purse or clutch, heels and you are set.
Enjoy.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Captain

Quote:

JMHO

Annie
Which ship did you sail? Where?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Even though this thread has been around for a while, I have not. So, I'll respond to the Original Topic:

I enjoy formal nights. I usually dress up in a Tuxedo or in Formal Clerics and enjoy the night. Not just the dinner ... the night. Cocktails with friends before dinner, dinner itself, a show afterwards, brandy and classical music in the Explorer's Lounge, perhaps a little dancing in the Ocean Bar ... it all depends upon my mood. For me, I just enjoy the ambiance and atmosphere that a Formal Night can bring when most people are "playing along."

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

It's funny; we received the new catalogue for HAL sailings yesterday, and I was longing for a European long cruise. We enjoy formal nights mostly because the food is better.
Nevertheless, the long cruise needs to wait till I'm old and gray and retired and I'm not sure when that will be. As it is, I can only take 10 days off at a time but am hankering for the 14 day trip.
I hope they keep the formal nights. I love to see the splendor.
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse View Post
It's funny; we received the new catalogue for HAL sailings yesterday, and I was longing for a European long cruise. We enjoy formal nights mostly because the food is better.
Nevertheless, the long cruise needs to wait till I'm old and gray and retired and I'm not sure when that will be. As it is, I can only take 10 days off at a time but am hankering for the 14 day trip.
I hope they keep the formal nights. I love to see the splendor.
Suse, is that 10 work days (i.e., Monday-Friday)? If so, and if you time it right, you should be able to get a 14 day cruise in. I work on Sundays, so that makes it more difficult for me to take a 7-day cruise that departs on a Sunday ... I have to miss TWO Sundays in a row in order to get just 1 week of cruise. If I want 2 weeks aboard ship, and the cruise departs on a Sunday, I have to miss THREE Sundays in a row. That's expensive, even if the total time gone is only 14 days.

My point is, if you can take off only 10 days at a time you should be able to get in a 2 week cruise with that. Or, are you days off inclusive of Saturdays and Sundays?

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Rev, we're self-emloyed and work Wed - Saturday and Saturday is a huge day for us. So, impossible to take 2 Saturdays in a row without getting people pretty angry.
We're part retail, part service, so it gets a little complicated to explain. Hopefully, though the day will come. I'm optimistic. I just have to get a little older.............