CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Formal night (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/374705-formal-night.html)

earl June 22nd, 2010 06:26 PM

Formal night

Do you think HAL should stop Formal night or keep it the way it is. We like formal night, gives us a chance to dress up.
NCL and Oceania have stop it, I can see Carnival doing it soon.
Should it go or stay. What say you!!!

Trip June 22nd, 2010 08:37 PM

Just a gut reaction, but with the older passenger base, although it has gotten younger in past years, I think the line will hold out for as long as they can..

ChrisSheilaB June 23rd, 2010 09:44 AM

Formal Night

We have just returned from HAL Baltic Cruise, there were 2 formal nights in an 11 night cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed them. Hubby is a little reluctant to dress up as he wears a suit all day for work, but I insisted and he did enjoy himself and scrubbed up really rather nice !
For myself, it gave me a chance to be 'glam' for the evening (don't often get those !) and really made me feel good to be dressed up for a change.
The atmosphere in the dining room was fabulous and everyone seemed to really enjoy it and it was packed to capacity - and really - you only join in if you want to - there are other places to eat and be casual if that's the way you like it, so I say keep 'em HAL - I need a chance to wear my lovely frock again !:)

Mike L July 1st, 2010 11:00 AM

Formal Nights

Formal nights add to the cruising experience. I would be disappointed if they went away:D

Skipper's Mom July 1st, 2010 05:01 PM

We enjoy the formal nights. It's nice to see everyone dolled up and the guys look wonderful. It's somewhat easy for us since we live in Florida and most of our cruises have been from here. However, we did the 15 night Hawaiian cruise, too, and flew out to San Diego, tuxes and glam clothes packed. Of course, we were also fortunate to be flying on miles first class, so there was no baggage limit at the time (2008). I hope they don't do away with formal nights.

johnthed0g July 1st, 2010 05:03 PM

I think the dressing up thing makes a cruise a special holiday.

sail7seas July 1st, 2010 07:36 PM

The irony re: the post above commenting about older folks and formal nights is many of the more senior guests do not dress formal anymore. Most look just fine but they are not among those who are particularly 'dressed.'

I agree HAL is not going to soon discontinue formal nights but think it has little to do with age demographics.

homeatlast July 2nd, 2010 09:58 AM

I have mixed feelings about formal nights. I enjoy getting dressed up since I rarely have that opportunity outside of cruising. And in the past have bought formal clothes just for the cruises. However, next year we are going on our first European cruise and spending some time in Europe before it. We have decided to go with only one roller bag each so I am really using my imagination as to what to bring for formal night. It has to be something I could wear to a nice place in Paris also if you get my meaning. So I understand why some cruisers don't like it. I still enjoy the formal nights but this time will not be dressing up quite so much as previously.

LisaK July 2nd, 2010 11:05 AM

I am a very girly, girly i do work in a very casual environment so i do look forward to "playing dress-up" for formal nights when we cruise, i would miss it.

johnthed0g July 2nd, 2010 12:07 PM

As i have probably said before the bit I like about ''dressy nights'' is seeing my wife all dressed up & looking lovely.

anniegb July 2nd, 2010 12:17 PM

Is it demographics or more to do with nationality? I have been on a cruise with no formal nights and couples have had their portraits taken all dressed up.

As a Scot, I hate dressing up plus all that extra luggage for 1 night - not worth it.

However if the majority want to dress up - OK with me as long as I can dine informally.

johnthed0g July 2nd, 2010 12:43 PM

Thing about formal nights is unfortunately some people just don't get the idea of them & never will.

anniegb July 2nd, 2010 01:58 PM

If the idea behind then is to generate sales for tuxedos and formal dresses - I understand it - but not for me. All of the men I know hate wearing tuxedos.

There is obviously an increasing trend amongst cruisers against formal nights - as some cruise lines have noted.

sail7seas July 2nd, 2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homeatlast (Post 1300975)
I have mixed feelings about formal nights. I enjoy getting dressed up since I rarely have that opportunity outside of cruising. And in the past have bought formal clothes just for the cruises. However, next year we are going on our first European cruise and spending some time in Europe before it. We have decided to go with only one roller bag each so I am really using my imagination as to what to bring for formal night. It has to be something I could wear to a nice place in Paris also if you get my meaning. So I understand why some cruisers don't like it. I still enjoy the formal nights but this time will not be dressing up quite so much as previously.

Think in terms of 'little black dress'. It can work fine with right shoes, jewelry etc

johnthed0g July 2nd, 2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1301024)
If the idea behind then is to generate sales for tuxedos and formal dresses - I understand it - but not for me. All of the men I know hate wearing tuxedos.

There is obviously an increasing trend amongst cruisers against formal nights - as some cruise lines have noted.

As I say, if people just ''don't get it'' then nobody can explain to them.

PumpkinPatches July 12th, 2010 01:10 PM

I love formak nights.. it would be disappointing if they were cancelled.

profln71 August 8th, 2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl (Post 1299115)
Do you think HAL should stop Formal night or keep it the way it is. We like formal night, gives us a chance to dress up.
NCL and Oceania have stop it, I can see Carnival doing it soon.
Should it go or stay. What say you!!!

Hi Earl , I have always enjoyed the Formal Nights on board HAL cruises ! For those who don't like them , they can always have dinner at the Lido . I know HAL appreciates the tuxedo rentals and all the photos that are sold for these evenings but this helps to increase their revenues and keep fares at a more reasonable level . I simply wear a suit & tie in order to be admitted into the Dining Room . The atmosphere is always great with a fabulous menu , so I hope this lovely cruise-tradition will continue for many years to come ! Lane

Dan40 August 22nd, 2010 12:16 PM

Carnival dropped Formal Night 2 years ago. They now have "Cruise Elegant" DINNERS. Even before they changed to CE, there was no Formal NIGHT, only a Formal Dinner with many/most? pax changing to casual right after dinner.

In re: wearing a suit for work. I spent my entire working life wearing 3 piece suits. Even before retirement, I still wore a tux on formal nights and still do. My tux fits, so it is as comfortable as anything else I could wear. AND Barbara loves me in a tux, which is all the reason I need to wear it. And whats wrong with playing, "BOND!" "Jimmy Bond!" for an evening.:cool:rofl

Lakers Fan August 22nd, 2010 12:19 PM

I would like to see HAL have a Black Tie Optional policy

DeeDee August 22nd, 2010 12:37 PM

What do you mean by "black tie" - isn't that was wearing a tux is?

Dan40 August 22nd, 2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeDee (Post 1311487)
What do you mean by "black tie" - isn't that was wearing a tux is?

Yes Black Tie means tuxedos ONLY for men. A cruise ship Formal Night is not Black Tie. Formal means whatever the cruise line describes as formal. Which usually includes suits and even sports jackets and slacks.

Lakers Fan August 22nd, 2010 03:34 PM

I meant I would like to have the passenger determine if they wanted to wear a tux or gown

anniegb August 22nd, 2010 05:49 PM

Mischievous thought and very unlikely to happen:

What reaction would there be if everyone turned up at the MDR in casual?
Would they turn everyone away?

I know I am a rebel at heart :D

I sail on the Ryndam in approx 10 days and def not going formal - can't handle the stress of dressing up - all that extra work whilst on holiday is not good for me lol.

johnthed0g August 22nd, 2010 05:53 PM

They seldom if ever turn people away, too polite, unlike those who don't respect dress codes.

anniegb August 23rd, 2010 03:44 AM

I can always rely on John for a reply - lol.

I don't do formal and would not do the MDR - too much food - lol.

I think however formal nights will be a thing of the past in approx 10 years but by that time I will be well into my dotage - lol.

:)

johnthed0g August 23rd, 2010 06:16 AM

Pity OV is going then!

PumpkinPatches August 23rd, 2010 10:07 AM

My dad has actually been asked to change clothes before entering the MDR.
I'd hate for HAL to give up their dress code. It's why I love sailing with them; it's just so elegant. If anyone has a problem with dressing up, go with Carnival.. But don't try and change HAL. Many ppl sail with them time and time again because it's got a classic elegance unsurpassed by any other cruiseline.

anniegb August 23rd, 2010 10:46 AM

I choose HAL for itinerary and not for the dress code. Carnival does not go where I want to go - simple! Anyway Carnival owns HAL ?

Formal night IMHO is so 19th century - get real. I cruised Azamara and people were very relaxed because of no strict dress code. You can have elegance without Tux and gowns.

anniegb August 23rd, 2010 11:12 AM

I will be cruising in Alaska where I understand formal is not strict.

I will post on my return my observations.

:)

johnthed0g August 23rd, 2010 11:57 AM

Got this in response to an enquiry to P&O about a forthcoming cruise, seems you can dine in the buffet but that's it, as "all other areas comply with the dress code" Thought I would post it out of interest.
''can advise that cruise number xxxxx is anticipated to have 8 x formal, 7 x semi-formal and 13 x smart casual nights on board. The order in which these nights take place is determined on board by the Cruise Director and then advertised each day in the ship's newspaper. It is not compulsory to join in on the theme nights, for example, western or 60's. (implying it is compulsory to adhere to the dress??) The dress code for each night is applicable to all passengers in all areas of the ship except for the 24 hour restaurant, so if you did not feel up to dressing up that particular evening, this is always an option. ''