Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Default Formal night

Do you think HAL should stop Formal night or keep it the way it is. We like formal night, gives us a chance to dress up.
NCL and Oceania have stop it, I can see Carnival doing it soon.
Should it go or stay. What say you!!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just a gut reaction, but with the older passenger base, although it has gotten younger in past years, I think the line will hold out for as long as they can..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Passenger

Default Formal Night

We have just returned from HAL Baltic Cruise, there were 2 formal nights in an 11 night cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed them. Hubby is a little reluctant to dress up as he wears a suit all day for work, but I insisted and he did enjoy himself and scrubbed up really rather nice !
For myself, it gave me a chance to be 'glam' for the evening (don't often get those !) and really made me feel good to be dressed up for a change.
The atmosphere in the dining room was fabulous and everyone seemed to really enjoy it and it was packed to capacity - and really - you only join in if you want to - there are other places to eat and be casual if that's the way you like it, so I say keep 'em HAL - I need a chance to wear my lovely frock again !
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:00 AM
First Mate

Default Formal Nights

Formal nights add to the cruising experience. I would be disappointed if they went away

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

We enjoy the formal nights. It's nice to see everyone dolled up and the guys look wonderful. It's somewhat easy for us since we live in Florida and most of our cruises have been from here. However, we did the 15 night Hawaiian cruise, too, and flew out to San Diego, tuxes and glam clothes packed. Of course, we were also fortunate to be flying on miles first class, so there was no baggage limit at the time (2008). I hope they don't do away with formal nights.
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:03 PM
Admiral

I think the dressing up thing makes a cruise a special holiday.
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:36 PM
Captain

The irony re: the post above commenting about older folks and formal nights is many of the more senior guests do not dress formal anymore. Most look just fine but they are not among those who are particularly 'dressed.'

I agree HAL is not going to soon discontinue formal nights but think it has little to do with age demographics.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Familiar Face

I have mixed feelings about formal nights. I enjoy getting dressed up since I rarely have that opportunity outside of cruising. And in the past have bought formal clothes just for the cruises. However, next year we are going on our first European cruise and spending some time in Europe before it. We have decided to go with only one roller bag each so I am really using my imagination as to what to bring for formal night. It has to be something I could wear to a nice place in Paris also if you get my meaning. So I understand why some cruisers don't like it. I still enjoy the formal nights but this time will not be dressing up quite so much as previously.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
Admiral

I am a very girly, girly i do work in a very casual environment so i do look forward to "playing dress-up" for formal nights when we cruise, i would miss it.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Admiral

As i have probably said before the bit I like about ''dressy nights'' is seeing my wife all dressed up & looking lovely.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Is it demographics or more to do with nationality? I have been on a cruise with no formal nights and couples have had their portraits taken all dressed up.

As a Scot, I hate dressing up plus all that extra luggage for 1 night - not worth it.

However if the majority want to dress up - OK with me as long as I can dine informally.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Thing about formal nights is unfortunately some people just don't get the idea of them & never will.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Admiral

If the idea behind then is to generate sales for tuxedos and formal dresses - I understand it - but not for me. All of the men I know hate wearing tuxedos.

There is obviously an increasing trend amongst cruisers against formal nights - as some cruise lines have noted.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeatlast View Post
I have mixed feelings about formal nights. I enjoy getting dressed up since I rarely have that opportunity outside of cruising. And in the past have bought formal clothes just for the cruises. However, next year we are going on our first European cruise and spending some time in Europe before it. We have decided to go with only one roller bag each so I am really using my imagination as to what to bring for formal night. It has to be something I could wear to a nice place in Paris also if you get my meaning. So I understand why some cruisers don't like it. I still enjoy the formal nights but this time will not be dressing up quite so much as previously.

Think in terms of 'little black dress'. It can work fine with right shoes, jewelry etc
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
If the idea behind then is to generate sales for tuxedos and formal dresses - I understand it - but not for me. All of the men I know hate wearing tuxedos.

There is obviously an increasing trend amongst cruisers against formal nights - as some cruise lines have noted.
As I say, if people just ''don't get it'' then nobody can explain to them.
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Passenger

I love formak nights.. it would be disappointing if they were cancelled.

Old August 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to profln71

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
Do you think HAL should stop Formal night or keep it the way it is. We like formal night, gives us a chance to dress up.
NCL and Oceania have stop it, I can see Carnival doing it soon.
Should it go or stay. What say you!!!
Hi Earl , I have always enjoyed the Formal Nights on board HAL cruises ! For those who don't like them , they can always have dinner at the Lido . I know HAL appreciates the tuxedo rentals and all the photos that are sold for these evenings but this helps to increase their revenues and keep fares at a more reasonable level . I simply wear a suit & tie in order to be admitted into the Dining Room . The atmosphere is always great with a fabulous menu , so I hope this lovely cruise-tradition will continue for many years to come ! Lane
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival dropped Formal Night 2 years ago. They now have "Cruise Elegant" DINNERS. Even before they changed to CE, there was no Formal NIGHT, only a Formal Dinner with many/most? pax changing to casual right after dinner.

In re: wearing a suit for work. I spent my entire working life wearing 3 piece suits. Even before retirement, I still wore a tux on formal nights and still do. My tux fits, so it is as comfortable as anything else I could wear. AND Barbara loves me in a tux, which is all the reason I need to wear it. And whats wrong with playing, "BOND!" "Jimmy Bond!" for an evening.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Admiral

I would like to see HAL have a Black Tie Optional policy
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Admiral

What do you mean by "black tie" - isn't that was wearing a tux is?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
What do you mean by "black tie" - isn't that was wearing a tux is?

Yes Black Tie means tuxedos ONLY for men. A cruise ship Formal Night is not Black Tie. Formal means whatever the cruise line describes as formal. Which usually includes suits and even sports jackets and slacks.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Admiral

I meant I would like to have the passenger determine if they wanted to wear a tux or gown
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Mischievous thought and very unlikely to happen:

What reaction would there be if everyone turned up at the MDR in casual?
Would they turn everyone away?

I know I am a rebel at heart

I sail on the Ryndam in approx 10 days and def not going formal - can't handle the stress of dressing up - all that extra work whilst on holiday is not good for me lol.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:53 PM
Admiral

They seldom if ever turn people away, too polite, unlike those who don't respect dress codes.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:44 AM
Admiral

I can always rely on John for a reply - lol.

I don't do formal and would not do the MDR - too much food - lol.

I think however formal nights will be a thing of the past in approx 10 years but by that time I will be well into my dotage - lol.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:16 AM
Admiral

Pity OV is going then!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Passenger

My dad has actually been asked to change clothes before entering the MDR.
I'd hate for HAL to give up their dress code. It's why I love sailing with them; it's just so elegant. If anyone has a problem with dressing up, go with Carnival.. But don't try and change HAL. Many ppl sail with them time and time again because it's got a classic elegance unsurpassed by any other cruiseline.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Admiral

I choose HAL for itinerary and not for the dress code. Carnival does not go where I want to go - simple! Anyway Carnival owns HAL ?

Formal night IMHO is so 19th century - get real. I cruised Azamara and people were very relaxed because of no strict dress code. You can have elegance without Tux and gowns.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Admiral

I will be cruising in Alaska where I understand formal is not strict.

I will post on my return my observations.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Got this in response to an enquiry to P&O about a forthcoming cruise, seems you can dine in the buffet but that's it, as "all other areas comply with the dress code" Thought I would post it out of interest.
''can advise that cruise number xxxxx is anticipated to have 8 x formal, 7 x semi-formal and 13 x smart casual nights on board. The order in which these nights take place is determined on board by the Cruise Director and then advertised each day in the ship's newspaper. It is not compulsory to join in on the theme nights, for example, western or 60's. (implying it is compulsory to adhere to the dress??) The dress code for each night is applicable to all passengers in all areas of the ship except for the 24 hour restaurant, so if you did not feel up to dressing up that particular evening, this is always an option. ''

Last edited by johnthed0g; August 23rd, 2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added