Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Passenger

Question Norwegian Fjords

Has anyone any advice on the best ships for the Norwegian Fjords and North Cape ? I'm told the smaller ships are best as they get to places where others can't !

Also - best time of year to visit ? We'd love to see the Northern Lights (one of the things on our 'to do' list ) - has anyone seen these on their cruise ?

Info pleeeese

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Hi guys, yes the smaller ships definitely get into more Fjords, but all the well known Fjords are served by all the lines that cruise that way. So the main benefit of a small ship is that you still get the full impression of the shear size of the walls.

If you are looking for the Northern Lights (as we are) then you need to be sailing in the Winter which means that you want to be looking at Fred.Olsen (February 23 2012), Marco Polo (only 3 star!!!) sailing from the UK, or Hurtigruten who sail all year round & are an extension of the postal service in Norway. I had a work colleague sail with them earlier this year & said that they loved the experience, although they olny caught the Lights for a few minutes.
NOTE the Lights are NOT guaranteed, so if you see them it is a bonus on what could otherwise be a cold, damp experience.

For the Midnight Sun, you want to sail Mid-June to Mid-July.

Good luck with the search,

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Funny, I always thought you could see the Northern Lights around the end of August/September on a cold night - at least that's when we saw them at our cottage in Northern Ontario. It know it was a clear night when we saw them. They are spectacular and even more so I would think in Norway.

Chris/Sheila - check these websites - each gives a different time. Now I am confused.

Viewing the Aurora Borealis in Scandinavia - The Aurora Borealis in Scandinavia

Northern Lights in Tromso, Norway - Icelandic Holidays | Scandinavian Holidays | Best Served Scandinavia Holidays
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
I always thought you could see the Northern Lights around the end of August/September on a cold night
Apologies DeeDee, I should have said - Norwegian Winter last from September to late March.

Alan
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Admiral

No problem Alan,

That sounds more like it.
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Passenger

Default Northern Lights

Thanks to all for your input, will look forward to doing my research and sorting something out, seeing the Northern Lights would be a bonus, but the scenery of the Fjords is definitely appealing in its own right.

Haven't heard very good reports on the Marco Polo however, maybe someone can put me right on this ? Have only done Princess and Holland America so I suppose feel a little spoilt !

Thanks everyone
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Haven't heard very good reports on the Marco Polo
Hi again, yes we were quite interested in that cruise until we saw it was on Marco Polo which put us off.
This 1966 ship had her last refit back in 1993, yes 17 years ago
Other comments such as "poor sound insulation", and "Bathrooms are very small with little storage for toiletries" only served to convince us that this ship was not for us.

Maybe others will post & convince us otherwise, hmmmmmm

Alan
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Passenger

Thumbs down Marco Polo

Thanks for that Alan, think we will look at other lines !
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSheilaB View Post
Thanks for that Alan, think we will look at other lines !
Check and see if HAL's Prinsendam is doing this cruise as she is a small elegant ship........she used to be one of the Seabourn ships - HAL has completely refurbished her.

Marco Polo is an OLD ship and I have not heard good things about her either. Years ago friends sailed on her and loved her, but that was a long, long time ago.
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Passenger

Thumbs up Norwegian Fjords

Thanks for that Dee Dee, have checked HAL's website, the Ryndam appears to do what we would like - i.e the North Cape, the others don't seem to go up far enough or are too long a duration (more than 14 days) - still being a working person (unfortunately) both myself and hubby find it difficult to get more time off in one go. Maybe we will look at that, we certainly enjoyed our time on HAL's Eurodam this year.