CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Oosterdam/Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/375014-oosterdam-alaska.html)

toniwill32 July 5th, 2010 05:58 PM

Oosterdam/Alaska

We are taking Alaskan cruise, giong to Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. We need advice on excursions and which port is best to shop and walk around. We are going in Sept. 2010. Thanks for any advice:)

DeeDee July 5th, 2010 08:49 PM

Can't recommend any shops, but one of the cruises we took to Alaska was the last week of August - we returned Labour Day week-end and the shops had big sales as they were getting ready to shut down for the winter - I think they do that the end of September early October.

All the ports are good for walking around.

Have a great time - we love Alaska.

ChrisSheilaB July 6th, 2010 08:15 AM

Juneau / Ketchikan

Hi toniwill

We did an Alaskan cruise a couple of years ago with Princess. Loads of excursions to choose from, the one that will stick with us for always was the helipcopter trip onto a glacier in Juneau. Fabulous views flying over the glaciers, then landing and walking on one was something to remember. Outdoor gear, crampons & boots were provided and we had around half an hour's guided walk (some did a climb - not for us !) learning a lot about them. Expensive but we work on the principle that you would probably not go there again so it was worth it, going all that way and not to do something like that we would have regretted it. In Ketchikan we did a trip to see some totem poles - lots of history surrounding each one etc we saw eagles both on the trip and around Ketchikan itself, a walk around famous Creek Street was something everyone did. There are lots of choices, some are expensive, it's really what you feel is worth going so far to do a particular thing but you will have fabulous memories. Enjoy your trip - I'd be surprised if you didn't !:)

PumpkinPatches July 6th, 2010 01:09 PM

This wasn't an excursion but in Skagway, there is a Brothel that gives tours for like $5.00.
That's worth checking out!

DeeDee July 6th, 2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PumpkinPatches (Post 1301746)
This wasn't an excursion but in Skagway, there is a Brothel that gives tours for like $5.00.
That's worth checking out!

Are you sure it was Skagway and not Ketchikan?? There's a famous former old brothel on Creek Street that gives tours. I don't remember anything like that in Skagway. :confused: Skagway is noted for the White Mountain Rail Pass which is worth the big bucks they charge - it was amazaing.

Slideshow Gallery

There's a picture here that shows the Historic Creek Street buildings once identified at the "Red Light District".

PumpkinPatches July 6th, 2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeDee (Post 1301787)
Are you sure it was Skagway and not Ketchikan?? There's a famous former old brothel on Creek Street that gives tours. I don't remember anything like that in Skagway. :confused: Skagway is noted for the White Mountain Rail Pass which is worth the big bucks they charge - it was amazaing.

Slideshow Gallery

There's a picture here that shows the Historic Creek Street buildings once identified at the "Red Light District".

Yup, it was Skagway.
It's located at the "Red Onion Saloon"

DeeDee July 6th, 2010 04:50 PM

Oh, didn't know that - my mistake. We never did get to the Red Onion as it was so crowded. Guess I learn something new every day.

PumpkinPatches July 6th, 2010 04:51 PM

It's a great tour! Very interesting =)

If you ever cruise to Alaska again, definitely visit the Red Onion for their tour.

CACruiser July 6th, 2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PumpkinPatches (Post 1301790)
Yup, it was Skagway.
It's located at the "Red Onion Saloon"

We are doing the "Ghosts and Goodtime Girls" shore excursion in Skagway later this month, which culminates at the Red Onion Saloon. The excursion came highly recommended from a friend who did it last summer.

Shelby July 6th, 2010 06:54 PM

It's hard to say what port is "best" without knowing what you're looking for. All 3 port cities are small and walkable, and have shopping. My favorite was Sitka because of all the Russian history, but some people think it's boring.

PumpkinPatches July 6th, 2010 06:59 PM

I liked Skagway just because I found that it was a little more entertaining. All of the ports I have been to (Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan) were all very similar.. same shops, weather was similar, all ports were small, etc.. I never did any shorex tho, so I found them quite boring. I would definitely do some shorex next time I go.

Kamloops Cruiser July 6th, 2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toniwill32 (Post 1301593)
We are taking Alaskan cruise, giong to Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. We need advice on excursions and which port is best to shop and walk around. We are going in Sept. 2010. Thanks for any advice:)

Unless you want to see more wildlife. I would recommend just walking in Sitka. The town is small and you could have fun just looking at the different stores . Don't forget to visit the Russian Church in the center of town.:shock: