Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Beginner

Default kids & 14 day Hawaii

Hi All,
I'd love a little insider info. My parents are treating our whole family to a 14 day cruise to Hawaii next Jan. 23. 2011.

There wll be 10 of us, age 40 and up, but my 2 kiddos will be 7 & 11. Will there be enough for them to do? We're going when most other kids will be in school. What are the chances of other children being on the ship? We homeschool, so we're used to going on vacations during "off" times and also hanging out with many different age groups, so this may not even be an issue

The weather! How is crossing the Pacific in January? How are the Islands? Will we be tossed around the ship? Will all our shore excursions be rainy ones? haha

Anyway, thank you in advance for any information you can provide:-D
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We're doing the same west coast to Hawaii and back in late Feb. (though on a different line). We've sailed this route before.

The first day sailing out can be a bit of a choppy ride, but after that things should smooth out.

As for other kids...not all that likely on a 14 day on a HAL cruise. There could be one or two in their age range. More likely if they are present onboard they'll be pre-school age.

Hawaiian islands are lovely, and you'll surely enjoy your cruise.
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did this cruise in October/November 2008. There were very few children on board, one toddler that I remember and 2 older children.

Our passage to Hawaii was smooth going over and we had one choppy day coming back. The ocean in Hawaii was chilly for swimming (we live in Florida so are sissies).

The cruise is great, the islands a little disappointing because we live in paradise. !
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Passenger

I agree with everyone else.. Not many other children as they will likely be in school at that time. They'll probably enjoy the islands/ports but during at sea days I could see them being quite bored as the childrens activities on HAL are pretty minimal.

Old July 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Beginner

Thank you for the replies.
Princess does the same itinerary out of Long Beach to Hawaii.
Do you think that line would be more kid-friendly? But then would all us grown-ups still enjoy it?

Kelly
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinmamato2jazzy1 View Post
Thank you for the replies.
Princess does the same itinerary out of Long Beach to Hawaii.
Do you think that line would be more kid-friendly? But then would all us grown-ups still enjoy it?

Kelly
I'd say Princess is definitely more family-friendly as they have more onboard activities for children.

Old July 12th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Beginner

AWESOME! Thank you. I'm so glad I got this info before the parents booked it!
Looks like we'll now be going on Princess. Jan. 19,29 or Feb. 2, 2011!! And leaving out of Long Beach is easier for all of us! YAY
Kelly