Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Beginner

Default clothes for weather in Alaska

Our family is taking our first cruise ever, to Alaska, in August! should we really bring hats and gloves to do a walk on a glacier and to wear outside on ship? Others have mentioned rain gear too--just trying to get a handle on what to pack and if we really need all of this. We're on Holland America, doing Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, glacier bay, victoria, and 3 days in Seattle.
any suggestions people have would be welcome!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Passenger

Hi rorry

We also did an Alaska trip, although we did it in June. We also did a walk on the glacier from Juneau - we were provided with coats, boots & crampons before we set off in the helicopter, yes it was cold, but when we did the walk it was bright sunny skies and the guides had t shirts and shorts on - no coats ! Like I said, it was June though. Juneau itself was hot and we were in t shirts - I have no idea what August weather would be like. On board when scenic cruising past the glaciers, it can be cold and damp, and we did need our hats etc, the mist tends to come down at times and it can be quite cold so we were glad of them. Ketchikan is known as the rainy capital - there's a mountain permanently shrouded in a mist cloud and it was a little wet but not cold. I'd say the best thing is to take layers, you can off load or wrap up when needed, but a lightweight rain mac would be a necessity I'd say. The scenery is fantastic - you'll have a great time - enjoy your cruise !
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Beginner

thank you so much for the info! we've decided we are going to enjoy whatever weather is thrown our way but at least try to be somewhat prepared.
thanks!
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Alaska is pretty rainy.. especially Ketchikan!

Just make sure you bring sweaters and jeans.. nothing too heavy.
(Maybe an umbrella too)

Old July 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to profln71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorry View Post
Our family is taking our first cruise ever, to Alaska, in August! should we really bring hats and gloves to do a walk on a glacier and to wear outside on ship? Others have mentioned rain gear too--just trying to get a handle on what to pack and if we really need all of this. We're on Holland America, doing Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, glacier bay, victoria, and 3 days in Seattle.
Hi Rorry , I was really glad that I brought warm clothing with me for my cruise to Alaska on the Zuiderdam . However , it is best to dress in layers and of course an umbrella will come in handy if you do not have rain gear with you . I'm sure you will experience liquid sunshine at one or more points of your cruise . Enjoy this fabulous cruise destination ! Lane
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorry View Post
The best thing I brought was a thick headband that went over my ears. I didn't need a hat, a coat, or gloves for the ship (we went in early May). If you're going to visit a glacier you might want all of them!

Unless you're concerned about your hairstyle, I wouldn't fool with umbrella's. You'll dry !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:30 PM
Admiral

We cruised Alaska in May 2008 .We were told to bring winter clothes .Temperatures in every city we were in had record highs .
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
Admiral

don't forget the mitts/gloves and a warm hat. It's cold in Glacier Bay.

One year we were there the beginning of May and it rained and was cold. Our June trip was perfect weather with some rain. The end of August in Skagway it started out cold and by the afternoon we were "peeling" and ended up were wearing shorts and t-shirts. You just never know what the weather will be like.

You kind of have to take a few things for every type of weather. Make sure you have a good pair of walking shoes. Layering is the best.

Have a grea cruise. I am sure you will love Alaska.