Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Passenger

Lightbulb Master Chef's Dinner

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the Master Chef's Dinner??

Personally, I love it! Obvuiously it's not the 5-star quality entertainment you expect on a cruiseship, but I think it's a good time! =)

I know that there are lots of mixed opinions about the MCD.. so share your thoughts here!!

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Admiral

When they first started the MCD, we went once and that was enough. We had to wait so long between courses that we finally got up and left before dessert and coffee.

Now we either eat in the Lido, Pinnacle or have room service.

I'd rather they bring back the Dutch dinner, which was a long standing tradition with HAL.

Who needs a Ringling Brothers circus in the MDR when you are trying to have a nice dinner and conversation with your table mates.

The waiters work hard enough as it is - they don't need to be spending their off time practicing for this ridiculous performance.
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Dee Dee. I think I've been to 3 of them - more than enough. I don't need to have my salad danced around the dining room.

I think I may opt out on my next cruise. I am also one of those HAL cruisers who LOVED Dutch night, with the Dutch and Indonesian dishes.
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to profln71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPatches View Post
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the Master Chef's Dinner??

Personally, I love it! Obvuiously it's not the 5-star quality entertainment you expect on a cruiseship, but I think it's a good time! =)

I know that there are lots of mixed opinions about the MCD.. so share your thoughts here!!
Hi Pumpkin Patches , I've always enjoyed the Master Chef's Dinners on board the Zuiderdam , the Oosterdam and the Noordam . I've even worn the chef's hat which had been placed on the table ! The entrees and main dishes were absolutely delicious . The quality and the variety of all the food presented on the special menu , was certainly mouth-watering to say the least ! I also took the time to video as much of the special presentation as much as possible . A good time was had by all . Lane
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Beginner

Default Newbie

Hi!

I am a newbie. We will be taking a 7 day cruise on the Oosterdam to Alaska. Our formal nights are the Monday and the Friday. Would our Master Chef's Dinner be on that Friday? And, if so, what would it consist of (I mean, what is a Master Chef's dinner)?
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Beginner

I just found a YouTube video of a Master Chef's Dinner. I want my son to experience this; I think he would like it. That being said, I have a question.

Someone mentioned that the Master Chef's Dinner might be on the last night of a cruise. On the last night of our cruise, we had planned to take an excursion to a museum (we are going to Alaska on the Oosterdam on August 15). Do they typically schedule the Master Chef's Dinner on a port night?

I hope not and I hope that ours is on another night. We have already paid for our excursion (or, rather someone else has paid it for us), but I would really love for my son to be able to experience both the excursion and dinner.
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgown1 View Post
I just found a YouTube video of a Master Chef's Dinner. I want my son to experience this; I think he would like it. That being said, I have a question.

Someone mentioned that the Master Chef's Dinner might be on the last night of a cruise. On the last night of our cruise, we had planned to take an excursion to a museum (we are going to Alaska on the Oosterdam on August 15). Do they typically schedule the Master Chef's Dinner on a port night?

I hope not and I hope that ours is on another night. We have already paid for our excursion (or, rather someone else has paid it for us), but I would really love for my son to be able to experience both the excursion and dinner.
Hi Ballgown 1 , The Master Chef Dinners on board HAL cruises are rather elaborate and include several courses as outlined on their special menu which you will find on the table when you are seated. It normally takes place on the last evening at sea , so that all passengers may attend if they so wish . The last formal dinner is usually scheduled on the 2nd to last evening before the end of the cruise . I'm sure you will enjoy the MCD , not just the food but the special service and entertainment provided in the dining room . Don't forget to bring your cameras . . . a night to remember ! Lane
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by profln71 View Post
Hi Ballgown 1 , The Master Chef Dinners on board HAL cruises are rather elaborate and include several courses as outlined on their special menu which you will find on the table when you are seated. It normally takes place on the last evening at sea , so that all passengers may attend if they so wish . The last formal dinner is usually scheduled on the 2nd to last evening before the end of the cruise . I'm sure you will enjoy the MCD , not just the food but the special service and entertainment provided in the dining room . Don't forget to bring your cameras . . . a night to remember ! Lane
Thank you! Would they typically schedule an MCD or a port night? On the last night of our cruise, we are scheduled to be in Victoria, BC from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. We have an excursion planned for that time.
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgown1 View Post
Thank you! Would they typically schedule an MCD or a port night? On the last night of our cruise, we are scheduled to be in Victoria, BC from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. We have an excursion planned for that time.
Hi Ballgown 1 , I have always enjoyed their MCD's on a sea day or on an evening after the ship has sailed away from port at 5:00 P.M. I never had this dilemma you may have , but I'm sure you can inquire directly at HAL's main office with their 800 ph.# . It would really be a shame to miss this delightful event ! Lane
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Admiral

I've only had one but it was excellent