Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Cool Anyone sailed on Holland America AND Princess?!?

Hi all,

My parents have been on both ships, and they are having a debate on which cruiseline is better..

I have only sailed with Holland America, but I would like to try Princess at some point.

To anyone who has been on both lines, are there any major differences between the 2 cruiselines?

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Pumpkin Patches.
I've been on both HAL & Princess, and much prefer HAL. The first big difference is the feeling of spaciousness on HAL & the crowded feel on Princess; way, way, way too many pax on Princess ships! Also, I think the food on HAL is quite a bit better, and the service on HAL is much better, and so much friendlier. The beds on HAL are heavenly, while the beds on Princess are pretty hard, imo. Also, HAL has tubs in most cabins, while Princess has the tiniest showers I've ever seen in all but their suites. I think the entertainment on Princess is better, but you have to get to the shows a good 45mins early, or you won't find a place to sit (that crowding thing again). I also sort of enjoy the cheesy MUTS (movies under the stars) on Princess, but I prefer the aft pools on HAL, and the fact that you can find deck chairs within walking distance. Given the choice between HAL or Princess, I think HAL wins. (Of course, if you throw X into the mix, I'll pick an X cruise over the other two)
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Passenger

We have done three on Hal and a 10 day on Princess. Both were very good. More kids and families on Princess. Both staffs friendly, food good on both. Shows good on both,edge to Princ. Cabins larger on HAL.
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have sailed both. My only issue with Princess is that our cruises on the Grand class ships, the layout of these ships. The layout is quite choppy, I love the Sun class designs. We sailed twice on HAL.

On the Zuiderdam, although I thought the ship and cruise was nice, we had the worst service in the dr. on any of our cruises. Quite the surprise to my friends who were big HAL fans. I think in general, the service on HAL is good, but on that ship, for our table it was not up to HAL standards.. Both HAL ships were too quiet at night. Now we are not party animals, but, it was strange, to see ships that quiet. As far as having a tub, I guess I just would prefer to shower on a ship, as I would in a hotel.

With almost 25 cruises under our belt, we just like to experience the variety of different ships. I think you would enjoy Princess...it has a nice serene style......I would vote..go Princess, next crusie

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 29th, 2010, 07:39 PM
First Mate

Most HA ships are smaller than Princess, people go to bed earlier it seems, Princess is a lot of fun in terms of the staff putting parties on.
Jello is served on Princess as a desert, surprised me
HA staff are friendly though majority of Princess are also

Comes down to small touches, Princess is a good alternative , will not be disapponted
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:40 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPatches View Post
Hi all,

My parents have been on both ships, and they are having a debate on which cruiseline is better..

I have only sailed with Holland America, but I would like to try Princess at some point.

To anyone who has been on both lines, are there any major differences between the 2 cruiselines?
Traveled princess many years ago and had a great time. But can't remember anything about the ship. I think at that time, it was more about the fun and excitement rather than the accomodations. Today I pay attention to the accomodations. Cruised on HAL in 2007 to alaska and scheduled in Nov for panama canal. Very pleased with everything and excited for the upcoming trip.
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Beginner

Both Princess and Hiolland America are wonderful cruise lines. Here are the differences as I see them...

- Standard HAL cabins are usually a bit larger than Princess.
- HAL offers hoers d`oevres at cocktail hour.
-HAL dinner is a bit more formal and luxurious.
-HAL offers cooling towels in hot ports and hot split pea soup on deck in Alaska.
-HAL seems geared towards an older more refined cruiser.

- Princess has better nighttime entertainment.
- Princess pasta dishes are FANTASTIC!
- Princess 24/7 Pizzaria is really cool AND FREE.

Hope this helps.
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:03 PM
First Mate

Have to agree with your observations on both ships and we have 110 days on Holland and they are a first class act from bottom to the top and we have numerous cruises with Princess to include Sitmar which they merged into their operation . The latter will appeal to a more active age grp,however for the total cruiase experience I would go with Holland,
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Captain

Holland has been our favorite. Although our most traveled is Carnival- we like the perks.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Admiral

We have sailed both HAL and Princess, and I like them both equally.
Caribbean Princess is still my all-time favourite simply because I loved their light, airy, Caribbean decor, and they had THE best entertainer on the seas, Bert Stratton!

donna