Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Beginner

Default formal nights

For a formal dinner night,Is it really necessary for the men to wear a suit jacket and tie or can they get by with nice pants and shirt?
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Admiral

I was on a HAL cruise in 2008 and wore a black suit and tie . I would say about 20% of the men were dressed in polo shirts and khakis .A cousin of mine was on a HAL cruise earlier this year and said he was not formerely dressed and it was fine .

I am taking an HAL cruise this year and I plan to wear a suit ,however ,if I owned a tux I would wear one .
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Since this is a HAL cruise, I do think you will find yourself a bit under dressed. This line I found, has a more traditional vibe, so, I would pack that tie, and jacket for the dinner, and if you want, later remove them.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Not being funny, but if people dont dress up on a formal night what part of the night is formal then??
PS...AND if people just wear ''pants & shirts'' on a formal night what on earth do they wear on a casual night?

Last edited by johnthed0g; July 15th, 2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: ps
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Admiral

based on my 1 Holland America cruise, not it wouldn't be necessary. There were lots of pants and shirts only.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Beginner

I hear you , I'm trying to convince my husband and sons that it's worth the effort for one night. My daughter has NO problem being convinced to dress up! I was hoping if I could sell the guys on the fact that they could wear nice shirts/slacks, they would be fine. We also are trying to watch how much we pack into luggage, packing dress shoes would add weight.
Thanks for the input
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Admiral

On a 7 day cruise there are 2 formal nights.I always wear a suit and tie. I like the idea of dressing up to have dinner and go to the show after . you can go with a nice shirt and pants. A suit does not take up much place and is not heavy in your suit case.
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorry View Post
I hear you , I'm trying to convince my husband and sons that it's worth the effort for one night. My daughter has NO problem being convinced to dress up! I was hoping if I could sell the guys on the fact that they could wear nice shirts/slacks, they would be fine. We also are trying to watch how much we pack into luggage, packing dress shoes would add weight.
Thanks for the input
Rorry:

A suit and tie would be appropriate if a tux is not an option. Dress shoes could be worn while travelling, with a nice pair of khaki slacks. It won't kill them to dress up for 2 evenings. Otherwise, you have the option to dine in the Lido or Canneletto. I would think the Pinnacle would be a more formal venue. My husband has no problem in formal attire, in fact, I think he likes it!
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Rorry - may I ask how old your boys are?

Girls always like to dress up but boys for some reason don't.

I couldn't believe how smart my grandson looked when he had to wear a suit for his graduation a few years ago...he actually looked like an adult . He even got a hair cut.
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Admiral

One of the reason we cruise is for the formal nights.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
Rorry - may I ask how old your boys are?

Girls always like to dress up but boys for some reason don't.

I couldn't believe how smart my grandson looked when he had to wear a suit for his graduation a few years ago...he actually looked like an adult . He even got a hair cut.
My sons are 23 and 25 and they typically wear suits to weddings/funerals.
My daughter is 16. :-D
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Pack the suits.

I'm not a "formal night guy" but on HAL the standard is at least a sport jacket, tie and slacks (suit is better) for formal night. No need to go with the tuxedo. You see less and less tuxedos on formal night.

If you're paying for the kids then tell them they that they "will" wear a suit.

Take care and have a fun cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Rorry - I see you are going to Alaska. The 3 or 4 times I have been there I have found that Formal nights are less formal than say in the Caribbean. I'll leave it up to you to decide if the "boys" should wear suits. I know at that age you can't tell them what to do or wear.

My granddaughter just turned 15 and she loves to dress up. :-D

Have a SUPER time and let us know how you enjoyed your cruise.

DeeDee
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:12 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to profln71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorry View Post
For a formal dinner night,Is it really necessary for the men to wear a suit jacket and tie or can they get by with nice pants and shirt?
Hi Rorry , I have been on several HAL cruises and I always wear a black suit & tie for the formal dinners in the dining room . However I have seen many men wearing a jacket with co-ordinated slacks & tie . It is certainly not necessary to wear a tux ! And you can always go to the Lido for dinner if you want to dress " smart casual " ( no tie ) . You will find that the Lido menu is rather similar to the one in the dining room . In any case , I'm sure you will enjoy the experience no matter which venue you choose . Lane
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Welcome Newcomer

When you goes in the party where formal dress is necessary, then you have to wear formal dress for man jacket and with it simple pants because it is the demand of party.
Old March 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM
First Mate

After spending 15 days on the Queen Elizabeth last year (3 formal nights (TUX) and 6 semi formal nights (suit) I am leaving the formal wear at home on my March 30 sailing on the Eurodam. I will eat in the Lido on formal nights with other like minded people.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old March 18th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Captain

HAL's definition of formal for gentlemen, at a minimum, is tie and jacket. (obviously they expect shirt and trousers...... one smart guy on another pointed that out when some of us referred to only tie and jacket).

The ships are inconsistent about enforcement.
We have seen men seated without the tie and we have seen men turned away without the tie.

A blazer, shirt, tie, trousers and shoes guarantees you will be seated in MDR. Easy.

For many years and a great many cruises, DH always brought his tuxedo. No more. He now wears a dark suit..... and on a rare occassion has even worn just a blazer/tie.
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Not being funny, but if people dont dress up on a formal night what part of the night is formal then??
PS...AND if people just wear ''pants & shirts'' on a formal night what on earth do they wear on a casual night?
i know you weren't trying to be funny but that 2nd question made me laugh.

but i agree with this sentiment. part of cruising with the more traditional cruise lines, at least, is well... keeping up with some traditions! and formal nights are a big part of the whole experience.
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Formal Night is not just about wearing something nice. It generates a good feeling and transforming into a refined and elegant individual. It also offers the family, or couple, a chance to have professional portraits taken for FREE. You only pay for them if you really like them, later in the cruise, and it could be a memory and keepsake of your vacation.
People tend to act more sophisticated and use better manners around everyone. It does add to the bulk in a suitcase but you could always cut back on some outfits or wear mix and match to lighten the load.
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Default Formal Nights

I am old school...if the line designates a formal night that request should be honored...there are other dining options for those that choose not to dress up.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Every night is formal night for us. My son just turned 6 and the first request for his birthday gift was a new 3 piece suit (because he had outgrown the one he got for his 5th birthday). He's only 6 and it won't last forever, so I'm enjoying it while I can. It's amazing to me that a such a young age he has a concept of dress codes. Even if we are at home and just going out for dinner, he'll enquire about the dress code before he goes to get dressed.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, my old man drug out the farmer's jeans with the suspenders, and the wife beater tshirt and the ole cow dung boots. Me? For the night, I drug out the clean undies from the line and an ole burlap sack I done made and called it a day. Put some newspaper in my shoes that was stretched out and we went dancing. That's it from my corner of the world.
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Familiar Face

A formal night, is just that, a night set aside for you to wear that which has been published in the cruise line regulation which requires ladies to wear a particular set standard and gentlemen set standard as Formal wear. Some cruise lines have semi-formal and casual standards set up during the week. If you decide to bend the rules then we might as well throw the book overboard! " Remember the saying, Let them eat cake".
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:53 PM
Familiar Face

Question Nieuw Amsterdam - 14 day

Does anyone know for sure on the Nieuw Amsterdam when they run their 14-day cruise (which is really two 7-day cruises) do they have 4 formal nights?
Old September 24th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to profln71

Quote:
Originally Posted by medontelord View Post
Does anyone know for sure on the Nieuw Amsterdam when they run their 14-day cruise (which is really two 7-day cruises) do they have 4 formal nights?
Hi Medontelord , They usually offer 2 formal nights per week . But things can change last minute , ie one night has been removed . Whatever venue you choose for dinner , just enjoy it as they always have a delicious and varied menu selection . Lane