Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Honky Dory

:-DAnyone know which ship he is on these days? Amazing, that guy! My friends went on a different ship last year and he was still doing the same thing.
In one of my nights of over indulging on the bubbly, I could not remember his name, only remembering it started with a H/D. I ended up calling him Howdy Doody. Lucky for me, it was said to only my hubby and we both laughed at my blunder. Remind me never to talk with my mouth full of bubbles!
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Admiral

isn't his name HUNKY DORY - not HONKY.

Never met him but I am sure we will one of these days. I hear he is amazing remember names.
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Passenger

Hunky Dory was the maitre d' on our recent Alaskan Explorer cruise aboard the Oosterdam ... at least as of 7/4/2010.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Captain

Hunky Dory used to hand out trays in Lido.... he isn't doing that anymore seeing they no longer have trays. Last I heard, he was on Zuiderdam but who knows.
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Admiral

He was on the Zuiderdam last May but I believe we were either his last or second to last cruise of that contract and he was going home for a while. Not sure where he ended up when and if he came back.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.V. View Post
Hunky Dory was the maitre d' on our recent Alaskan Explorer cruise aboard the Oosterdam ... at least as of 7/4/2010.

From reading on another board looks like he's on vacation.

Hunky Dory's name is Immam and the M'D on your cruise was Andrie

By the way WELCOME TO CRUISE MATES.
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Passenger

Default Hunky Dory

My husband just confirmed as well that our maitre d' was Hunky Dory. We both remember him well ... not only because his name tag plainly said "Hunky Dory" but when we would inquire of him as to how are you doing, he would laugh and say, "I'm just Hunky Dory". I might add that we had open dining so we were in the lower dining room. Perhaps the other maitre d' was in the upper assigned dining room for the assigned seating.
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Passenger

This seals it ... hubby just pointed out to me that his name tag read ... I.Hunky Dory. So he obviously is your guy!
Old August 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Passenger

He was on the Zuiderdam when we went through the Panama in April 2006, we are going on the Zuiderdam to Alaska next week. Will post if he is there, I sure hope so. :-)
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Captain

HAL has Dining Room Managers, they no longer have Maitre d's.

I think there is more than one Hunky Dory. I think they try to play off the name for the rewards they used to achieve when handing out trays in Lido.

There was also John Wayne and Sly and a few others doing the same 'name game.' We've sailed with any number of them through the years.
I never was a huge fan ...........
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On the old Westerdam, there used to be a crew member handing out trays, I think it was near the pool are, who instantly remembered your name, and, would call you by name after the first day.

At the end of the cruise, he handed you a small hanky, folded like a Dutch hat, with a personal note to have safe travels. Now I thought it was sweet,and also, ingenious, because, this man, who would not be tipped, by most, now got many tips.

The old saying, ya gotta have a gimmick, works in Hunky Dory's case and in this "tray man's" case...people remember them.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The old saying, ya gotta have a gimmick, works in Hunky Dory's case and in this "tray man's" case...people remember them.
Trip, I really have to agree with this! When we first started cruising we were "taken" by crew who had a "sob story ". We've learned better now... .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Before prepaid tips,and a couple of days before your cruise ended, it was amazing how many times the waiters told of hardship at home, and, really played the tip me, and rate me high card. Not they they don't deserve every penny they get from the passengers, in most cases, but the overkill was intense.

Now it's a whole different ball game....I must say in 2 instances, I did remove part of the tip for a dr waiter and a room steward,and deservedly so.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
Passenger

Our waiter on the Oostderdam ( transatlantic Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale Oct. 2009 ) was named Hunky Dory. Excellent waiter, funny. He even helped us play a practical joke on our fellow dinner companions.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:09 AM
Passenger

Also on the same above cruise, there was a male cocktail server named Boozey. He was a real funny character, allways had funny jokes and a haunting belly laugh one could hear throughout the room. On Halloween night, he dressed up as Elvis with the slick back hair and humongous fake side burns. That was a great cruise between Hunky Dory and Boozey.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

On one of our cruises, there was a bartender who used the name "Marlon by night, Brando by day." He would tell jokes, show visual tricks, and had us all in stitches every night. I can still remember one of them: poke a pencil through a paper napkin. Ask the person how to remove the pencil so that the hole no longer remains. Trick: pull the pencil all the way down (and out) of the napkin. No hole!
As you can imagine, by the end of the night (and alot more drinks), we were all doing tricks, although I imagine that some were not as they seemed, according to the eyes of the beholder (which were by that time closed or going around and around).