Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Beginner

Default Best Side of ship

Can anyone tell me what the best side of the Eurodam is for the Eastern Carribean cruises.
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Admiral

There is really no good or bad side on a cruise ship . Most days are in port and your at sea in the dark . Only on sea days will there be a difference .
When heading towards Mexico cabins on the left (facing the bow from the stern) will be sunny and heading back to Fort Lauderdale the other side is in the sun. When I cruise I consider most to be good . The only exception is inside cabins on the lowest deck near the bow. Myself & DW usually spent most of the time on deck anyway.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Admiral

If you think about it it wholly depends on which direction the ship is travelling in in relation to the sun, docking in port is dependent on which way round it docks.
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Admiral

I agree with the other posters - there is no good or bad side.

I gather if you are on the Eurodam you are sailing FLL to Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, HMC so sailing south from Fort Lauderdale the sun will be on the port side (left) in the morning and starboard (right) in the afternoon. Coming back the sun will be on the starboard side in the morning.

For no reason at all we usually choose a cabin on the port side of the ship. Just a habit I guess.

When are you going on the Eurodam?

Enjoy your cruise - Eurodam is a beautiful ship.
Old October 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yep: It really makes no difference. In port you may dock on the port side or the starboard side. While at sea you "may" have a view of the islands and land going one direction and a sea view when you go the other direction.

Book a cabin that is most convenient for you. If you need to be close to the elevator then book one there. The best location can be on decks where you have cabins above you and below you. These are the most quiet.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Beginner

Just planning now for going on the 18th of December. Looking forward to it if it will work out. Any advice about cabins--we are torn between a suite or a regular balcony cabin. Usually we do suites, but most of them at this stage are just guaranteed, with no specific deck or cabin. Little reluctant to try a guarantee rather than knowing exactly where we will be. Any ideas or thoughts on this?
Old October 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you want a suite then book a suite guarantee. On Eurodam almost every suite location is a decent one. Unless you have a problem with an aft facing or fully forward suite.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl View Post
Just planning now for going on the 18th of December. Looking forward to it if it will work out. Any advice about cabins--we are torn between a suite or a regular balcony cabin. Usually we do suites, but most of them at this stage are just guaranteed, with no specific deck or cabin. Little reluctant to try a guarantee rather than knowing exactly where we will be. Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Better book quickly because we are booked on the 12/11 cruise and when we booked early last May there were very few Deluxe Suites available.

Your cruise is the Christmas cruise so no doubt that is why it's filled up so quickly.

Two months today we leave for FLL - YIPPEE!! Can't wait.
Old October 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed on the Eurodam on 01/30/10 and had a guaranteed stateroom. We wound up getting the last verandah on the starboard side. We did a lot of walking to the forward part of the ship but the dining rooms were very accessible. It really doesn't matter which side of the ship you are located.
Old October 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Many ports have views from your cabin of, dockside blgs, machinery, etc..best views will be from the top deck...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 11th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to phantomcat

Actually, the point is quite moot as you are not likely to visit Mexico on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. As the name suggests, you'll be traveling East going and West returning. The only difference, perhaps, is if you have a desire to gaze upon a distant Cuba, as it will likely be in view, upon the horizon, for the several hours it takes to pass that rock.
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Depending the first port of call they might go strait thru the Bahamas into the atlantic then to south east to San juan etc.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Admiral

We go from FLL out into the Atlantic to Grand Turk to Puerto Rico & St. Thomas; back out into the Atlantic to HMC, so we are no where near Cuba.

In the past when we have cruised past Cuba, you really can't see anything except maybe the outline of an island as it's too far away. A couple of times in the past, Russian jets have flown over the ship checking us out.
Old October 14th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Admiral

The best side of the ship is the side that you are on!!!
Old October 16th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
The best side of the ship is the side that you are on!!!
I like your thinking--that is one true statement.
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Familiar Face

Default Posh

Back when India was controlled by the British, POSH was the "in thing" on the long cruises to and from India.

POSH meant "Port outbound, Starboard inbound" to be out of the sun.

PapaBear
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Now POSH means Spice
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:45 PM
First Mate

The best side of the ship?

The INSIDE!