Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default HAL Mess-up - Compensation Q

Booked back to back med cruises on Nieuw Amsterdam early this year. Large interior cabin on Navigation Deck . Paid Deposit but then HAL agent in Australia pressed wrong key and cancelled the booking instead of confriming.

My travel agent just found out and my booked cabin is no longer available.
They offered me an obstructed view cabin on Upper Promenade as compensation.

Question - Do you think this is fair and also they gave me on eday to confirm
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Familiar Face

Unhappy HAL- Compensation

Sorry I should have pointed out that the crusies are in May/June 2011.

The point that irks me is that I had been trying to register for the cruise with HAL to start organising shore excursions - and I could not register AND I had specifically booked a larger interior cabin.

Would have been just great if this error was not picked up until I made my final cruise payment.

I amj st about ready to cancel - and I would expect a full refund - and do a tour of Great Britain instead.
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Admiral

HAL didn't mess up - your travel agent did and he/she is the one to blame.

It's really up to you whether you want to cancel or not but remember to do it before final payment.
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Familiar Face

Smile HAL - Compensation

DeeDee

It was HAL'S Australian agent - Travel the World. My agent put the deposit through and did everything right but it was the girl in the HAL agent office who pressed the wrong button and cancelled.

All I really wanted to gauge was if people think what they have offered me is fair compensation for the mess up.

I'm not sure if it is and I am looking for something more but always want an outcome that is fair and reasonable. e.g. I am agreeable to pay a bit more to get an unobstructed view cabin. If others think their offer is fair then OK I am happy to accept that offer. I have not experienced something like this in all my travels before.

Regards
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Captain

What is the difference in the price of the two cabins?

Without knowing that it isn't possible to guess how generous HAL is being?

What are your damages? You still have your cruise and are still going so what did you lose except for a bit of anxiety for a few days? If I understand correctly. If I misunderstand, sorry.

No real damage so not really a need for lots of settlement.

Last edited by sail7seas; October 15th, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default HAL - Compensation

sail7seas

I take your points.
Diff in cabins = approx $AUD750-800 for both 12 day cruises.

HAL have an agent in Australia that handles their bookings, called 'Travel the World' - HAL bookings obviously go through them.
I note you say a few days anxiety - but I had wanted to register and start organising shore excursions for the last three months so that frustrated me that I couldn't - thought it was just a problem with their system. My travel agent told me that HAL had been having a few problems with registration for a while and he had tried without success also.

I had booked a larger interior cabin on the Navigation deck then was told six months down the track that my booking was cancelled in error. Would you like to be told six months after booking and making a deposit that the booking was cancelled?

Also I am going down four decks from where I wanted to be. OK I know I'm going to get some daylight in my compensation offer cabin but it is four decks lower.

If the compensation is fair then ok, I'll take what is offered.

I don't want to cancel, I just wondered about the offer

Thanks
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Captain

IMO, it doesn't matter what any of us think is what you should receive, it only matters how much you think your disappointment is worth.

I understand your displeasure and am sorry this happened to you. "Ship" happens in life.
HAL's Agent, your Agent, someone messed up. Okay, they have made it better.
Why did it take your TA so long to discover this error? Did you advise your TA you were having trouble booking excursions, that your reservation was not showing up? Did you let it 'ride' for too long without speaking up? Had you inquired about the problem earlier, that cabin might have still been available. I am not blaming you for the error but just mentioning this in the hopes we all can learn we need to take initiative if we think our reservation may have a glitch.

You still have the cruise you want and are in a more costly cabin.

Being lower on the ship is the preference of many people. They say the 'best ride' is in the middle..... half way up and in the center.

I hope you can move along and start looking forward to a fabulous cruise.

Last edited by sail7seas; October 17th, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Familiar Face

sail7seas

You raise valid points there about me advising my TA earlier about the problem. I just thought I would mention it when I was checking airfares - that's when he checked and found the problem.

Anyway I do want to do the cruise on that ship and it seems the offer is acceptable so I will again look forward to it and this week start organising shore excursions.

Yes it was a stuff up and I probably could have acted sooner but I didn't.
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Captain

I hope you have a great cruise.
You're going on a gorgeous ship with a fabulous crew and are sure to enjoy.

Travel safely and please come back here and tell us all about it when you return.
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Change your TA!

Your problem seems to be your TA.
1. A good TA would always double-check all the arrangements, and should have discovered the error bery quickly.
2. The TA probably is not part of HAL. An "Agent" is just that. Someone who independently represents the cruise line, and is paid the commission to do so.
3. Remember, you paid this agent to do his/her job, and the agent failed!
4. I used to do travel from all parts of world to Israel. Dealt with airlines, Israeli hotels, Arab bus companies, etc. Even Israeli airport security. You have to be on top of everything. As President Reagen said "Trust, but verify".
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Familiar Face

Default International arrangements

Along this line, in 2000, I arranged a Trans-Siberian train trip. This involved frequent flyer miles on KLM thru their Arab office in East Jerusalem. Israel to USA, USA to China, Russia back to Israel.

Next I arranged the train trip thru a Travel Agency in Melbourne, Australia. This included pickup at Beijing airport, lodging in Beijing, Ulan Batar, Mongolia, Siberia, Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia, and tranfer to St Petersburg airport.

Amazingly, EVERYTHING worked!! train tickets, lodging, day trips, not one glitch. The TA in Melbourne was excellent, amazing, wonderful, and they did their job.

I had a friend in a Liberty Travel agency in New Jersey. He told me that every morning, he reviewed the world. Storms, riots, unrest. He would then decide how he could assist his clients no matter where they were.

PapaBear
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Familiar Face

Smile HAL - Compensation

Well everyone - everything has worked out well. Would you believe last week the HAL agent advised they were able to give me our originally booked cabin with onboard credit and a dinner in the Pinnacle restaurant.

Our agent was able to get double the onboard credit offer as well as the dinner.

So I am now looking to enjoy this cruise. My agent said that a couple had just come back from a cruise on the ship and they said it was great.

Thank you HAL
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Tony - so glad that everything worked out for you and got your same cabin back plus the other amenities.

It's a beautiful ship and you'll have a wonderful time.

HAPPY CRUISING.
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:13 PM
Captain

Happy you are happy.
Have a great cruise.