CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   ship's excursions in Canada/New England (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/377711-ships-excursions-canada-new-england.html)

Thoth October 26th, 2010 06:37 AM

ship's excursions in Canada/New England

:) Next year I'm going to Quebec, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, and Bar Harbour, so now I'm more or less window shopping at ship sponsored shore trips.
While I've visited Halifax ( Peggy's Cove & the fort), those other ports are new to me. :eek:
From my understanding, Quebec city is great for walking tours. The castle/hotel, Saint Anne church, Montmorecy falls, and Orleans island are tend to be offered on bus tours.
Charlottetown promotes the Ann of Green Gables story, it seems.
From Sydney, I plan to see the Cabot Trail/Cape Breton National Park area.
From Bar Harbour, I hope to see plenty of Acadia National Park....of course.

any advice...any insights ? Thanks ! :cool:

DeeDee October 26th, 2010 11:10 AM

I think Sapper gave you some very good suggestions on that "other" board.

The year we did the Canada/NE cruise was on the old Westerdam (1995) and unfortunately we could not tender, because of rough seas, to the port where we were to pick up the tour for the Cabot Trail, so the ship went on to Sydney and we did the tour to Bras d'Or and the Alexander Graham Bell home. It was very interesting and the scenery was beautiful. The Fort at Louisberg is also very interesting (just saw it on TV the other day).

You have to take a whole day to actually see the Cabot Trail - DD had driven the trail with a friend the previous year and loved it, but on a ship's tour you would only be able to do part of it and as stated it could be very foggy and you'd see nothing.

Can't help with the other ports.

sail7seas October 31st, 2010 04:15 PM

The only tender port on Boston to Montreal itinerary (barring unusual circumstance) is Bar Harbor. We do this cruise back-to-back every summer and it's one of the best HAL short cruises IMO

We never tire of it and have written reams about it and Maasdam. I think you've seen some of it 'over there'.

You don't mention 'seeing' Montreal. Hope you have planned time to see something of this fabulous city.

Thoth November 2nd, 2010 03:43 AM

Thanks DeeDee.... thanks Sail7seas !
Yeah.... sure I wish to see Montreal but the air/hotel package itinerary doesn't seem to offer a chance.
Hopefully I will see some of the Cabot Trail. HAL offers tours to the area. How good they are? That's a different story !:confused:

sail7seas November 2nd, 2010 05:15 PM

Any chance you could stay one or two days post cruise? HAL has hotel program in Montreal if you don't want to book on your own..... or you might be able to get a better price booking yourself. The ship docks right in Old Montreal so not a long taxi ride to any number of hotels. You would have to arrange your own transportation to the airport but that is easily accomplished.

IMO, Montreal is really worth it. In the past, we have taken long weekend trips there and even in freezing cold February, enjoyed it. :)

DeeDee November 2nd, 2010 08:06 PM

Sail said "Any chance you could stay one or two days post cruise? HAL has hotel program in Montreal if you don't want to book on your own..... or you might be able to get a better price booking yourself. "

You are much better off booking a hotel on your own as HAL charges per person whereas the rate at the hotels is per room.

Montreal is wonderful and so much to see & do. We used to visit often when DS and family lived there.

Thoth November 3rd, 2010 02:15 AM

No no, I'm not going to change my package deal.
I like the flights HAL has selected. :cool:
Doing too much on my own such as flights and hotels would be way too much hassle.:rolleyes:

Lakers Fan November 3rd, 2010 10:39 AM

Just a thought

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1325223)
:) Next year I'm going to Quebec, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, and Bar Harbour, so now I'm more or less window shopping at ship sponsored shore trips.
While I've visited Halifax ( Peggy's Cove & the fort), those other ports are new to me. :eek:
From my understanding, Quebec city is great for walking tours. The castle/hotel, Saint Anne church, Montmorecy falls, and Orleans island are tend to be offered on bus tours.
Charlottetown promotes the Ann of Green Gables story, it seems.
From Sydney, I plan to see the Cabot Trail/Cape Breton National Park area.
From Bar Harbour, I hope to see plenty of Acadia National Park....of course.

any advice...any insights ? Thanks ! :cool:

Check out the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City .Its a hotel but very interesting to walk through and around.
The Cabot Trail and Arcadia National Park are fantastic .

sail7seas November 3rd, 2010 10:00 PM

The view from the ship up the hills to Chateau Frontenac is magical. It's a beautiful sight and well worth seeing for a bit of a 'look about'. We always have port side cabin and are thrilled when we wake to find the ship has docked port to the dock. They don't always dock that way so we never know for sure in advance.