Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I'm just curious....spa question

I've taken a few different types of massage on various cruise ships and what stands out is that on a few of them, different massage therapists have rubbed me (almost raw) adjacent to my shoulder blades, claiming there was "lactic acid build up" which they were massaging away. It has happenend on at least two different ships, different therapists. I know that Steiner rules the roost on cruise ship spas, but do you think that Steiner (kinda) advises them to do/say this in that location (as well as other things in other locations) because then they get to try to sell you products which are made to get rid of this? I know that this is not lactic acid buildup there but I am not going to get into an argument with them over it. I incidently know that whatever type of treatment I am going to have will not interfere with my health issues, so do not even bother to put those down on the questionairre (because they may just say that this cream/lotion/liquid will take care of arthritis, is good for cellulite, rosemary water good for muscle stress, etc...). I want to see just how good they are sometimes.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else and what did they say/suggest? Just curious...
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Admiral

I've had a few massages on cruiseships .... I've never been told that, AND I am very tight in my shoulder blades.

I usually tell them a the onset not to be offended but I'm not interested in any product recomemedations.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Familiar Face

I have worked for spas on cruise ships and have also worked with the above mentioned product...

Yes...It could be that the therapists you have had in the past have a specific way that they like to sell. Depending on the ship; pressure to "sell" can be high. So you may have been a victim of that!

And the product you speak of..."Musclease Active Body Concentrate". Hehe...Actually a great product! No...it's not going to get rid of your muscle tension forever...but in my opinion- it does help. There's Rosemary and Pine essential oils in it which are soothing for muscle tension and increase circulation. And it's organic.

Most people have had the same experience as you...but hopefully still had a relaxing effective massage!

LepaJessi
lepajessi.com

Ships worked on:

Silver Seas Shadow
Celebrity Millennium
Caribbean Princess
Celebrity Summit

http://www.lepajessi.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/lepajessi
http://www.lepajessi.com (Under Construction)
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Admiral

We've had massages on multiple ships, some not as good but others excellent.

On one of the last we had on RCCL, I had a torn rotator cuff...sooooo painful, I couldn't really rest. I decided to get a massage...the therapist was excellent. After the massage, (and as they usually do) the therapist recommend a 'gel' to help reduced the inflammation and maybe doing that would decrease some of the pain. It was expensive (of course) and I hesitated, but finally bought some. Wonders of wonders....IT WORKED! Before we left the ship I bought two more jars. I was soooo surprised....