CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   I'm just curious....spa question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/378484-im-just-curious-spa-question.html)

2katz3fsh December 3rd, 2010 04:33 PM

I'm just curious....spa question

I've taken a few different types of massage on various cruise ships and what stands out is that on a few of them, different massage therapists have rubbed me (almost raw) adjacent to my shoulder blades, claiming there was "lactic acid build up" which they were massaging away. It has happenend on at least two different ships, different therapists. I know that Steiner rules the roost on cruise ship spas, but do you think that Steiner (kinda) advises them to do/say this in that location (as well as other things in other locations) because then they get to try to sell you products which are made to get rid of this? I know that this is not lactic acid buildup there but I am not going to get into an argument with them over it. I incidently know that whatever type of treatment I am going to have will not interfere with my health issues, so do not even bother to put those down on the questionairre (because they may just say that this cream/lotion/liquid will take care of arthritis, is good for cellulite, rosemary water good for muscle stress, etc...). I want to see just how good they are sometimes.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else and what did they say/suggest? Just curious...:confused:

Queen of Oakville December 9th, 2010 03:41 PM

I've had a few massages on cruiseships .... I've never been told that, AND I am very tight in my shoulder blades.

I usually tell them a the onset not to be offended but I'm not interested in any product recomemedations.

LepaJessi June 13th, 2012 05:24 PM

I have worked for spas on cruise ships and have also worked with the above mentioned product...

Yes...It could be that the therapists you have had in the past have a specific way that they like to sell. Depending on the ship; pressure to "sell" can be high. So you may have been a victim of that!

And the product you speak of..."Musclease Active Body Concentrate". Hehe...Actually a great product! No...it's not going to get rid of your muscle tension forever...but in my opinion- it does help. There's Rosemary and Pine essential oils in it which are soothing for muscle tension and increase circulation. And it's organic.

Most people have had the same experience as you...but hopefully still had a relaxing effective massage!

LepaJessi
lepajessi.com

Fieldmouse June 15th, 2012 04:53 PM

We've had massages on multiple ships, some not as good but others excellent.

On one of the last we had on RCCL, I had a torn rotator cuff...sooooo painful, I couldn't really rest. I decided to get a massage...the therapist was excellent. After the massage, (and as they usually do) the therapist recommend a 'gel' to help reduced the inflammation and maybe doing that would decrease some of the pain. It was expensive (of course) and I hesitated, but finally bought some. Wonders of wonders....IT WORKED! Before we left the ship I bought two more jars. I was soooo surprised....