Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Beginner

Default Noordam

I just came ashore in Fort Lauderdale, Florida yesterday morning after a ten day cruise on the Noordam.
First let me say, the ship’s crew and the service was impeccable! However, the ship is in my opinion unhealthy! I make that statement as I currently have respatory problems from living in a cabin where the air conditioning ducts need cleaning. (Cabin 4096 Upper promenade) there were times that the room smelled like sewage (as did other parts of the ship specifically deck two and three amidships).There were times the air in the cabin just stunk! I did not report it as I know from experience that it could not be fixed with a “band aid” ors a bottle of wine. It will require treatment in a dry-dock to clean the ducts of mold and residue. I know is an expensive procedure. However, it may cost in revenue from people who do not wish to cruise and breathe such polluted air. I have barely avoided bronchitis and possible other infections by just cautiously washing my mouth and throat with large quantities of Listerine. I was on the Noordam from 23 November 2010 to 3 December 2010. I could not wait to great off and would have preferred to sleep on the deck as to breathing the air.
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Question Air quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardd2662 View Post
I just came ashore in Fort Lauderdale, Florida yesterday morning after a ten day cruise on the Noordam.
...However, the ship is in my opinion unhealthy! I make that statement as I currently have respatory problems from living in a cabin where the air conditioning ducts need cleaning. ...there were times that the room smelled like sewage (as did other parts of the ship specifically deck two and three amidships).There were times the air in the cabin just stunk! I did not report it as I know from experience that it could not be fixed with a “band aid” ors a bottle of wine. It will require treatment in a dry-dock to clean the ducts of mold and residue....
Wow. Sorry you had a bad experience.

I know some people are more sensitive to odors and air quality than others. However we have never found any HAL ship to have any problem of this type. They have normally been impeccably clean and the cabins thoroughly deodorized.

It is a bit strange that you complain to such a large extent on this board but said nothing while on board the ship. ( one of those sentences demonstrating the vagaries of the English language ...) I know they use powerful industrial strength deodorizers between cruises and surely they could have at least shot some of that in to your cabin. Maybe it would have been a "band aid" but it would have been YOUR band aid instead of you taking on the responsibility of deciding the ship needed to go in dry dock and nothing else would do.

Now personally I expect my cabin to be top notch and if there is the least little thing that needs attention I bring it to the notice of the cabin steward promptly and that usually settles it. If not a call to the Head Housekeeper surely will.

Hopefully your next cruise on HAL will be much more pleasant.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to profln71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardd2662 View Post
First let me say, the ship’s crew and the service was impeccable! However, the ship is in my opinion unhealthy! I make that statement as I currently have respatory problems from living in a cabin where the air conditioning ducts need cleaning. (Cabin 4096 Upper promenade) there were times that the room smelled like sewage (as did other parts of the ship specifically deck two and three amidships).There were times the air in the cabin just stunk! I did not report it as I know from experience that it could not be fixed with a “band aid” ors a bottle of wine. It will require treatment in a dry-dock to clean the ducts of mold and residue. I know is an expensive procedure. However, it may cost in revenue from people who do not wish to cruise and breathe such polluted air. I have barely avoided bronchitis and possible other infections by just cautiously washing my mouth and throat with large quantities of Listerine. I was on the Noordam from 23 November 2010 to 3 December 2010. I could not wait to great off and would have preferred to sleep on the deck as to breathing the air.
Hi Richard , I can certainly sympathize with you as I was on the MS Noordam for a 14-day holiday Caribbean cruise . The first week was just awful as I was assigned to a smoker's stateroom . My eyes were watery and I got a scratchy throat just from inhaling the cigarette smoke that permeated every fiber in the stateroom ( curtains , mattress , carpet and even the shower curtain ) . The stewards made several attempts to sanitize the smoky stench and it decreased a bit after the first week . I even contacted the Hotel manager on board ( and also reported it in writing ) , but Mr. Deering did not reply. I will certainly request a non-smoking stateroom for any and all future bookings ! Lane