Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Default Excursion Questions for Eurodam - Grand Turk and St. Thomas

Our kids are too young to spend money on excrusions, they just want to make sandcastles on the beach ... so our excursions are pretty-much pre-determined.

For St. Thomas, I've been to both Trunk Bay and Magen's Bay before and I'm not sure which we'll go to. On our last cruise, we heard about a young boy (cruise passenger) being shot being caugth in gang wars. I've yet to google and verify any details. If you have any info to share, please do. Is either beach in a particularly safer area? For Magen's Bay, we can do the Beach Getaway, which woudl run about $86.00. Would anyone recommend taking a taxi as opposed to the cruise excursion? There are four of us - 2 adults and 2 kids under 4. In Cozumel, earlier this year, we took a cab ride which was safe and cost effective. I'm just not sure about doing this on St. Thomas.

For Grand Turk - pretty much same question. I've never been before. Is a nice beach within a quick cab ride?

Thanks,
Queen.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In Grand Turk, you dock right at the pier,and walk to the beach or pool. The pool is within the gated area, with shops, & Margarittaville. This is good for you, because,if the kids get antsy, you can just walk right back on the ship...

Their was a shooting in St Thomas of a kid on a ships excursion bus...Off hand I forget the beach area..I will search, and give you a link, if you want to check it out..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Hey Trip,
thanks for the quick reply. Good to know the beach is close by.

I found a link to the story
More Caribbean Crime - Carnival Passenger Killed In St. Thomas : Cruise Law News

It appears that Magen's Bay is further north of Koki where the shooting occured and (duh) Trunk Bay is on St. John.

I know it is an isolate incident that could easily occur in my home town ... but one still wants to be cautious in taking their young children into an area where a problem has occured.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I absolutely agree with you, being aware is key, anywhere...Turks is really perfect your your needs...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator