Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateShark View Post
Rev. Neal, good to see you again. You mentioned that you were happy enough with your port stops in Hawaii to actually go back. Since we are taking a cruise to HI, and knowing that the Arizona and a Luau are "must do's", would you recommend anything else not to be missed on Oahu, Kaui, Hawaii or Lanai?
Don't miss the North Shore on Oahu or the Iolani Palace in Honolulu. Don't miss the Na Pali Coast and the Waimea Canyon on Kaua'i. Don't miss the Painted Church, the City of Refuge, or the Akaka Falls on Hawaii. Don't miss whale watching in Maui.

Enjoy the Hawaii cruise. It's a fabulous cruise, among my favorite itineraries because i really love the sea days.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNeal View Post
Don't miss the North Shore on Oahu or the Iolani Palace in Honolulu. Don't miss the Na Pali Coast and the Waimea Canyon on Kaua'i. Don't miss the Painted Church, the City of Refuge, or the Akaka Falls on Hawaii. Don't miss whale watching in Maui.

Enjoy the Hawaii cruise. It's a fabulous cruise, among my favorite itineraries because i really love the sea days.
The Pacific Aviation Museum at Pearl Harbor is also excellent. It is nearby the USS Missouri.
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Admiral

I am trying to convince my wife to do a Hawaii vacation from and back to California .She hates sea days and I love them .
Old January 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Looks like I have a wonderful opportunity to days chock full of port activities! Thanks to you both for wonderful suggestions. The hard part will be having to be in multiple places at the same time if the excursions overlap - my solution if that happens would be to book the cruise again if I run out of time (and money)

I'm looking forward to the sea days also Rev. Neal. It's the best thing to de-stress from your job or life. Unfortunately, they make you get off the ship at the end of the trip which is a major disappointment.
Old January 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I am trying to convince my wife to do a Hawaii vacation from and back to California .She hates sea days and I love them .
Maybe if you take her on lots of excursions on the islands, she'll appreciate the rest on the trip back to the mainland. This will be my first time having this many sea days in a row. So we'll see how I handle it. The longest time I've had was two sea days which I enjoyed.
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateShark View Post
Looks like I have a wonderful opportunity to days chock full of port activities! Thanks to you both for wonderful suggestions. The hard part will be having to be in multiple places at the same time if the excursions overlap - my solution if that happens would be to book the cruise again if I run out of time (and money)

I'm looking forward to the sea days also Rev. Neal. It's the best thing to de-stress from your job or life. Unfortunately, they make you get off the ship at the end of the trip which is a major disappointment.
If you would like to see photos from my latest cruise to Hawaii, you can here:

RevNeal's 2010 Hawaii Cruise

I visited most of the places I mentioned in my prior posting.
And, yes, the sad and most difficult part of any cruise is disembarking the ship! One of these days I look forward to taking the World Cruise ... 100+ days aboard ship. I'll have to retire before I can take such a voyage -- about 30 years from now, assuming I retire in my mid-70s -- and it will take me that long to save up for a World cruise anyway!!!!

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Hawaii ! Oh yes...what a great place to visit. While I have not had the pleasure of a Hawaiian cruise I have visited there via airplane & rental car.
Actually it was a business trip both times...darn those business trips !
The Big Island has Hawaiian Volcano National Park and that off the beaten path charm. Oahu and Honolulu are everything that it is advertised to be.
Pearl Harbour is most touching and so are the volcanic rocks while snorkeling...ouch !

An around the world cruise is #1 on my bucket list. Believe me, if I could I would disappear for a few months. Leave in January, send you a postcard from India, and show back up in April.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Familiar Face

A world cruise...now you're talkin! I spend way too much time daydreaming about taking a world cruise, and someday I hope to spend way too much money taking a real world cruise.
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Henry:

We did the 15-day round trip San Diego/Hawaii on the Zaandam in October 2008. I thought my husband might not like it, but he LOVED it. The sea days were great, we had great weather and we truly relaxed. Since then, we've been on two 10-day trips which we like better than 7 days.

We are currently booked for a TA next October on the Nieue Amsterdam from Venice to FLL.
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks Rev. Neal! Can't wait to look at your travelog/pictures of Hawaii today now that I have some free time. Take care.
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by usha View Post
A world cruise...now you're talkin! I spend way too much time daydreaming about taking a world cruise, and someday I hope to spend way too much money taking a real world cruise.
A couple of years ago we had a long discussion on that other cruise board about how much to budget and how to fund a world cruise. To do the world cruise with the least amount of pain one must have at least twice the cruise fare in terms of reserve funds.

The world cruise in an outside E-Category outside cabin (amidships) is:

$26,665.92 per-person, or $53,331.84 for two.

If I'm going to make the world cruise on my own (which is more likely, given my situation) the single supplement is very reasonable at slightly less than 150%, so:

$39,545.92 for one. That includes cruise fare, Government taxes and fees.

In addition to this, one must estimate an amount for onboard expenses during the cruise. HAL's website says that the onboard account pre-authorization for cruises longer than 25 days is $30 per day. This means the pre-authorization will be $3390 per-person. While that's probably close to one's onboard expenses on such a long cruise, I would feel safer estimating $5000 per-person. Beyond this, one should estimate at least $10,000 per-person for shore excursions (I would arrange or buy most of these prior to the cruise) and another $10,000 per-person for cash for expenses, etc. And, of course, one should have made arrangements for one's expenses back home -- utilities, etc -- but those probably can be handled through normal funding.

The final estimate comes to:

$40,000 for the cruise
$5000 for onboard expenses
$10,000 for shore excursions
$10,000 for other cash needs

Total: $65,000 for one person doing the world cruise solo. It'll be more for two people.

How to fund something like this?
Here's how I'm doing it. I paid off my current car in 2009. When I accomplished that I shifted my monthly payments over to making deposits into a money market account that is broadly invested and which makes a significant return. I have made 18 deposits and intend make at least 18 more, because I plan on waiting until mid-2012 to buy a new car (my current car only has 64,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition and I love it). By the time I'm ready to purchase a new car I will have piled up at least $20,000 in principle and interest earned. While paying for my next car I will allow the investment to build on its own. Once my next car is paid off I'll repeat the process. I estimate that, with simply a couple of such cycles of deposits, and then allowing the investments to pile up interest over the subsequent 15-20 years, I'll be able to afford a world cruise by the time I retire from full-time ministry when I'm in my mid-70s. There is NO WAY I'll be able to do the world cruise before I retire, hence I'll have the time to allow the investments to earn sufficient interest.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Familiar Face

Rev, I'm thinkin maybe a little visit from the prize patrol would take care of my world cruise funding concerns...
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Rev, I'm thinkin maybe a little visit from the prize patrol would take care of my world cruise funding concerns...
<sigh>
It would certainly help!
But, I tend to be the kind of guy who just sits down and figures out how to actually make it possible with the least amount of pain. Since the undertaking demands a significant amount of money in order to "do it right," I've decided to make it possible by this method. Other people have other ways of paying for it.

Who knows, maybe I'll be made a Bishop over the next 30 or so years? If that happens, then my income will increase sufficiently to make it much easier for me to save up the needed funds. But, I don't anticipate that; nor would I really want to be a bishop ... I much prefer just serving as the pastor of a church.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up Make it Happen

We just attended an Installation of Officers for our local Bethel of Job's Daughters, a youth organization.

I thought that the incoming Honored Queen has a wonderful motto. She is a 17 year old High School Junior, and here is the message she sent to all the girls, and to all of us:

"Hope, Dream, Imagine --

And Then Make It Happen!"

Coming from a young lady of that age I think this is a wonderful sentiment! The first part is great, but the second part is the real message.

So, Rev Neal, congratulations for taking the steps to make it happen!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
A couple of years ago we had a long discussion on that other cruise board about how much to budget and how to fund a world cruise. To do the world cruise with the least amount of pain one must have at least twice the cruise fare in terms of reserve funds.

The world cruise in an outside E-Category outside cabin (amidships) is:

$26,665.92 per-person, or $53,331.84 for two.

If I'm going to make the world cruise on my own (which is more likely, given my situation) the single supplement is very reasonable at slightly less than 150%, so:

$39,545.92 for one. That includes cruise fare, Government taxes and fees.

In addition to this, one must estimate an amount for onboard expenses during the cruise. HAL's website says that the onboard account pre-authorization for cruises longer than 25 days is $30 per day. This means the pre-authorization will be $3390 per-person. While that's probably close to one's onboard expenses on such a long cruise, I would feel safer estimating $5000 per-person. Beyond this, one should estimate at least $10,000 per-person for shore excursions (I would arrange or buy most of these prior to the cruise) and another $10,000 per-person for cash for expenses, etc. And, of course, one should have made arrangements for one's expenses back home -- utilities, etc -- but those probably can be handled through normal funding.

The final estimate comes to:

$40,000 for the cruise
$5000 for onboard expenses
$10,000 for shore excursions
$10,000 for other cash needs

Total: $65,000 for one person doing the world cruise solo. It'll be more for two people.

How to fund something like this?
Here's how I'm doing it. I paid off my current car in 2009. When I accomplished that I shifted my monthly payments over to making deposits into a money market account that is broadly invested and which makes a significant return. I have made 18 deposits and intend make at least 18 more, because I plan on waiting until mid-2012 to buy a new car (my current car only has 64,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition and I love it). By the time I'm ready to purchase a new car I will have piled up at least $20,000 in principle and interest earned. While paying for my next car I will allow the investment to build on its own. Once my next car is paid off I'll repeat the process. I estimate that, with simply a couple of such cycles of deposits, and then allowing the investments to pile up interest over the subsequent 15-20 years, I'll be able to afford a world cruise by the time I retire from full-time ministry when I'm in my mid-70s. There is NO WAY I'll be able to do the world cruise before I retire, hence I'll have the time to allow the investments to earn sufficient interest.
$65,000 !! ooops...never mind !
We can always dream...can't we ? ;-)

/ticker.png">
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
$65,000 !! ooops...never mind !
We can always dream...can't we ? ;-)
!
That's what I thought when I first came to realize all the additional costs that go with taking a World Cruise. Of course, one can do it "on the cheap" if one wants ... an inside cabin way down in the bowels of the ship, no expensive shore excursions, minimal spending money for shopping ashore, etc. If one does this, the figures reduce to the following:

MM category Inside Cabin:
-->Double Occupancy: $19,905.92 per-person
-->Single Supplement: $29,405.92 solo

Onboard expenses: $3920 (per-authorization) per-person
Shore Excursions: $4400 per-person ($100 per-port-day minus caribbean ports)
Spending Money: $2500 per-person

So, for a Solo in a Single supplement the estimate comes to $40,225.92
That's going cheaply, in the lowest level accommodation, estimating minimal onboard expenses (equal to the daily pre-authorization of $35 pp/pd), minimal shore excursions and minimal spending money. I wouldn't want to try to do the World Cruise on such a shoe-string, but I'm sure some people do. I'd rather have sufficient funds to do the kind of shore excursions I'm going to want to do and to have the cash reserves with me that I'll need to be able to buy what I want, etc.

Needless to say, I've put a lot of thought into this particular cruise because I KNOW I'm going to do it when I retire and I need to pile up enough money to "do it right." I'm just thankful that I'm not spoiled into needing a Suite for the World Cruise! A Suite on the World Cruise is tremendously expensive!

Suite Double Occupancy: $67,905.92 x 2 = $135,811.84 TOTAL fare for 2

I'm sure some people consider that kind of money to be "loose change," but not I. Even if I wanted to try and save up money for the World Cruise in a Suite, I don't think I'd spend it that way ... I'd rather do TWO world Cruises in an outside cabin than one world cruise in a suite.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Good luck to you Rev Neal...I hope you can pull it off someday.
If I had the time and money this is would be my cruise to top all cruises....MS Amsterdam World cruise 2012 .6 Jan to 28 April !! That is 37 ports of call, by my count. Of course one would require a room to oneself, which would add to the $19000 quoted price. Lots and lots of sea days...at least 60.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; Belem, Brazil; Recife, Brazil; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Montevideo, Uruguay; Pt. Stanley, Falkland Islands; Antarctic Sound, Antarctica; South Shetland Islands; Wilhelm Archipelago; Cape Horn; Ushuaia, Argentina; Punta Arenas, Chile; Chilean Fjords; Easter Island, Chile; Cruising Pitcairn Island; Papeete, French Polynesia; Pago Pago, American Samoa; Cross International Dateline; Easo, Lifou, New Caledonia; Sydney, Australia; Cairns, Australia; Great Barrier Reef Experience; Komodo Island, Indonesia; Lembar, Indonesia; Hong Kong, China; Nha Trang, Vietnam; Phu My, Vietnam; Singapore; Phuket, Thailand; Colombo, Sri Lanka; Mangalore, India; Marmagao (Goa), India; Mumbai (Bombay), India; Safaga, Egypt; Sharm el Sheik, Egypt; Enter Suez Canal at Suez; Daylight transit Suez Canal; Exit Suez Canal at Port Said; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Katakolon, Greece; Messina, Italy; Naples, Italy; Ajaccio, Corsica; Barcelona, Spain; Cadiz (Seville), Spain; Funchal (Madeira), Portugal .

/ticker.png">
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Question World Cruise

You know, many many years ago, we picked up on the tail end of a world cruise. The Matson Monterey had been around the world and we joined her in Hawaii to cruise back to the mainland. (Yes, US flagged ship!)

Our table mates were overjoyed to meet us. They said that after 70 some days, the principal social event on the ship was going up to breakfast to see who had demanded to be moved because they had a big fight with their tablemates!

Most of those world cruises are on small ships. How long does it take to have some point of disagreement with each of 600 or so people? A one week cruise is usually long enough to get to know the loud obnoxious drunks, the pushy line cutters, the ones who talk through the show and the constant complainers. Another week marks out the whiners, the compulsive gamblers, the shoppers who hold up every excursion, and the chair hogs at the pool. What more could we learn with another eight weeks to study the foibles of the other passengers?

Come to think of it, perhaps the perfect place for a retired pastor!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
You know, many many years ago, we picked up on the tail end of a world cruise. The Matson Monterey had been around the world and we joined her in Hawaii to cruise back to the mainland. (Yes, US flagged ship!)

Our table mates were overjoyed to meet us. They said that after 70 some days, the principal social event on the ship was going up to breakfast to see who had demanded to be moved because they had a big fight with their tablemates!

Most of those world cruises are on small ships. How long does it take to have some point of disagreement with each of 600 or so people? A one week cruise is usually long enough to get to know the loud obnoxious drunks, the pushy line cutters, the ones who talk through the show and the constant complainers. Another week marks out the whiners, the compulsive gamblers, the shoppers who hold up every excursion, and the chair hogs at the pool. What more could we learn with another eight weeks to study the foibles of the other passengers?

HAL is currently running the World Cruise on the Amsterdam -- an R-class ship with about 1400 passengers ... probably a little less on the World Cruise. I've know people who have done one or more world cruises on HAL and they usually say that it's a wonderful experience and that that the passenger-compliment is large enough that while you get to know pretty much everybody over the 100+ days of the voyage, it's also possible to avoid people who have rubbed you the wrong way. I can believe it.

I've also talked with clergy who have served on the HAL world cruise. There's a fellow that does it pretty regularly, and is very much in demand for that cruise. I would LOVE to, and who knows ... perhaps I'll get it some day? But, having served as Protestant Guest Minister aboard HAL ships in the past, I'd rather do the World Cruise at least once without any formal chaplain duties. That doesn't mean I wouldn't help out, preside at the Eucharist a few times, or even preach a sermon or two if asked. But, I so enjoy cruising when I'm completely off-duty that I'd rather not be roped into pastoral duties for 117 days.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post

Oh my ! That's a relevant thought . I hadn't really given much thought to that, but you are so correct. If that guy talks forever during week one, just think how annoying he must get by week 6. If that lady's gripping gets old by day 5 of a cruise, what WOULD she say by day 15 ?
Come to think about it....if I ever do around the world....I'll request open seating so as to mix it up. One may go insane otherwise.

/ticker.png">
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Familiar Face

World Cruise note to self:
OPEN SEATING, MOST DEFINITELY OPEN SEATING! :eke:
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Smile

Yeah, sounds good. I could sort of go on a cruise 365 you know what I mean? Not sure about all those numbers (dollars) being talked about here but I am sure that must be kinda fun to think about, don't ya think? Well, when the creek don't rise and the Good Lord's willing, well there you have it.
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
World Cruise note to self:
OPEN SEATING, MOST DEFINITELY OPEN SEATING! :eke:
I think ... I'm not certain about this, but I think ... that with each Segment of the World Cruise they reshuffle the folks in fixed seating that would like to move around some. I know that on some of the other grand voyages they do that at certain points -- like the mid-way point on the Voyage of the Vikings -- and so I would imagine they do that, too, on the World Cruise. So, even those with Fixed Seating won't be stuck with lemmings the whole time.

Personally, I would find the scramble for Open Seating, with the need to call and reserve a time every night, an unsatisfactory alternative. But, then, I prefer fixed seating anyway.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse View Post
Yeah, sounds good. I could sort of go on a cruise 365 you know what I mean? Not sure about all those numbers (dollars) being talked about here but I am sure that must be kinda fun to think about, don't ya think? Well, when the creek don't rise and the Good Lord's willing, well there you have it.
It is, indeed, fun to think about and plan for it. I know that the money will get used, one way or another, no matter what happens! I don't like the thought of having to wait a couple of decades before I get to make a World Cruise ... but, I really can't see an alternative. I can't afford it until I've saved up sufficient money, and then even after I have enough on hand to make the cruise I'll have to wait until retirement brings me the free time to be able to make such a journey.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Personally, I would find the scramble for Open Seating, with the need to call and reserve a time every night, an unsatisfactory alternative. But, then, I prefer fixed seating anyway.
You know, Rev, we couldn't get fixed dining for our last HAL b2b on Westerdam & we were assigned Open. We went in thinking we would hate it, but we actually loved it! We had a table for 2 every night, and usually spoke to the maitre d' for the next evening's table as we were leaving the diningroom. He was very accommodating, and couldn't have been a nicer guy. We had several different waiters & assistants, but all did a very good-to wonderful job. If we go on HAL again, we'll probably request Open seating.
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
You know, Rev, we couldn't get fixed dining for our last HAL b2b on Westerdam & we were assigned Open. We went in thinking we would hate it, but we actually loved it! We had a table for 2 every night, and usually spoke to the maitre d' for the next evening's table as we were leaving the diningroom. He was very accommodating, and couldn't have been a nicer guy. We had several different waiters & assistants, but all did a very good-to wonderful job. If we go on HAL again, we'll probably request Open seating.
We had much the same experience. Didn't want to mess around with the reservation system - so we just showed up every night. We always got our table for two, and it happened that we always had the same stewards. We were 100% satisfied with the way it worked. We felt like we were getting the best of both worlds, since we wandered in whenever we were ready.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
The only time I've had Open Seating was on a short cruise where we were supposed to have fixed but got bumped into open because we were lowly nothings on a "special" cruise (the first 3 days of the Eurodam Inaugural). It was an unmitigated disaster and very disappointing. Thankfully, it was also very short.

I'm not opposed to trying it in the future, and based upon reports I imagine it would work out ok, but I do prefer having fixed seating, the same waiters, the same table every night on a cruise. It's part of the routine I prefer. Since I usually cruise with family or friends, it works out well.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I liked the open seating on our last cruise, too. I'd make a reservation for two at the same table everynight and it worked out fine. So, we had the same servers and we really liked that.
No hassle to it really. Just went to see the man in the Lido in the morning and requested the table and you can do it for 2 nights in a row.
Nice table by the window, too.
There were a couple of times we didn't do that and it worked out fine. We liked our tablemates. It was fun.
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
I'm just tired of wondering if the my next innocuous post might result in sudden-death because somebody else, or some "host," dislikes me or has an agenda against me.
Happy New Year! And nice to see you posting somewhere. Like many others, I was wondering if you were alright or if you felt somehow driven away. In years of experience with bulletin boards, I've noticed that some people attract a noisy following bent on taking issue with virtually anything they write. Most of the time, it is undeserved. It borders on the surreal when these self-appointed critics stop reading what is actually written, responding to what they want to think was meant, and proceed to get themselves and others up in arms about something never said or implied. Voluminous complaints to board admins invariably follow even the most innocuous of posts. More often than not, it is because the targets are popular and their critics are jealous. Then again, some people just like controversy.

WRT: Around the world cruise: You and my brother have the same dream (and the same concern about financing it ;-) ). Unfortunately for my brother, my sister-in-law does not. Doing a world cruise sounds fun to me too, although there are a couple of destinations I admit I'd prefer by-passing altogether. (As the odds of me being disciplined enough to save the money to do one are somewhere between nil and none, worrying about those ports is a purely academic exercise.)

All the best to you in 2011, Greg!
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I am one who misses your posts on the other site. I was glad to see your post here because I want you to know that it was not me who made the post about you on that blog from h***. Someone is using my name to post. I do not contribute to that blog.
Thanks for clearing that up, sapper! Although I rarely visit that blog, when I did recently, I did wonder at finding "you" there. As I follow your posts elsewhere, it just didn't seem to me to be your "scene." I like to think I appreciate humor as much as the next person, but I'm not a big fan of the type that relies on unrelenting ridicule and put-downs. To each his/her own, I guess. I've read that professional comedians who specialize in such patter are often extremely sensitive in private and easily hurt if the shoe is applied to the other foot. Don't know if it is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Happy New Year to you! And may all your flight connections be easier and cheaper in 2011!