Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Lightbulb Have a great new year

May 2011 be a great year for everyone.
The Maasdam to Canada/New England and the Fantasy to Bermuda....that's what I can look forward to.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Talking Looking forward to 2011

2011 is scheduled to be a great year for us!

The Volendam to Indonesia in the Spring ...

Ah, but what in the Fall? Soooo many choices on the table ... planning is half the fun ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
2011 is scheduled to be a great year for us!

The Volendam to Indonesia in the Spring ...

Ah, but what in the Fall? Soooo many choices on the table ... planning is half the fun ...
That's right planning IS half the fun !

/ticker.png">
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

For me 2011's cruise schedule has been totally revamped due to work concerns. I was going to be on the Volendam from New Zealand to Singapore, but that got cancelled. Now I'm on the Noordam from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale in October. I'd love to find something short for this side of the summer ... but I don't think I'll manage that unless money improves or a Chaplaincy on a ship opens up.

I was supposed to be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in January 2012, but it looks like that's now going to be cancelled due to work-related engagements that will probably take priority (assuming things work out on the calendar the way we hope).

I don't like changes to my cruise schedule. I need to be on the water. As of right now, it's been 5 months since I had deck under my feet, and it's starting to look like it's going to be another 10 months before I'll be able to "set sail" again. Pesky thing ... work. Income from it makes cruising possible. I love what I do. But ... other people's plans DO sometimes get in the way.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
Captain

Greg,

Nice to see you posting.
You've been missed here and 'there'.

Sorry to hear your cruise schedule has been interrupted but hopefully things will work themselves out.

Wishes for a Happy, Healthy New Year.
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Admiral

Oh I understand your problem RevNeal. It's called cruise addiction !
I have the same problem. I'm just not myself if I can't go on a ship.
As for canceling a cruise due to work issues....that's happened to me as well and it's no fun. Your Rome cruise sounds interesting !

/ticker.png">
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
Greg,

Nice to see you posting.
You've been missed here and 'there'.

Sorry to hear your cruise schedule has been interrupted but hopefully things will work themselves out.

Wishes for a Happy, Healthy New Year.
Thank you so much, Judy.
There are reasons why I've not been posting "over there." I can still post, I just haven't wanted to ... and for what I consider to be good reasons. To put it simply, I just haven't seen anything worth replying to, nor do I feel any desire to contribute to a site whose administration singles me out and penalizes me and threatens me with a permanent suspension for so-called (but nowhere defined by TOS) "nuisance posts" on threads that were manifestly non-serious and where everybody else is joking around, too. Since they don't seem to want me "over there," I see no reason to post "over there" and thereby contribute to their site traffic by virtue of being a popular poster.

Does that make any sense?

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
Oh I understand your problem RevNeal. It's called cruise addiction !
I have the same problem. I'm just not myself if I can't go on a ship.
As for canceling a cruise due to work issues....that's happened to me as well and it's no fun. Your Rome cruise sounds interesting !
The Rome - Ft. Lauderdale cruise is a fantastic cruise itinerary. I did it aboard the Rotterdam in 2009 and enjoyed it immensely. I'm doing it again in order to cruise with some friends. When I did it in 2009 I wasn't feeling very well and I missed several ports, so doing it again is even more worth it. Plus, I LOVE sea days, and one gets a lot of them on crossings!

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNeal View Post
Thank you so much, Judy.
There are reasons why I've not been posting "over there." I can still post, I just haven't wanted to ... and for what I consider to be good reasons. To put it simply, I just haven't seen anything worth replying to, nor do I feel any desire to contribute to a site whose administration singles me out and penalizes me and threatens me with a permanent suspension for so-called (but nowhere defined by TOS) "nuisance posts" on threads that were manifestly non-serious and where everybody else is joking around, too. Since they don't seem to want me "over there," I see no reason to post "over there" and thereby contribute to their site traffic by virtue of being a popular poster.

I am one who misses your posts on the other site. I was glad to see your post here because I want you to know that it was not me who made the post about you on that blog from h***. Someone is using my name to post. I do not contribute to that blog.
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I am one who misses your posts on the other site. I was glad to see your post here because I want you to know that it was not me who made the post about you on that blog from h***. Someone is using my name to post. I do not contribute to that blog.
Howdy, Sapper! And thanks!
I've not seen any posts purporting to be from you on "that blog." Don't worry about it.

I'm giving serous thought to posting over here much more often. It's quieter over here, but that could easily change. Indeed, I may decide to make 2011 my year for posting on CruiseMates.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Comparatively speaking CruiseMates is a much nicer group. I've encountered very few flammers here.... thankfully.
I love to cruise, I love to talk cruising, I love to help- others talk cruising, but sometimes I do express an opinion. However most here seem aware that I'm full of nonsense and don't take me seriously.

/ticker.png">
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The Rome - Ft. Lauderdale cruise is a fantastic cruise itinerary. I did it aboard the Rotterdam in 2009 and enjoyed it immensely. I'm doing it again in order to cruise with some friends. When I did it in 2009 I wasn't feeling very well and I missed several ports, so doing it again is even more worth it. Plus, I LOVE sea days, and one gets a lot of them on crossings!
No doubt you are into history, particularly religious history. Rome and the Mediterranean would be the best place for that, I suppose.
I've never sailed a European itinerary on a cruise, but sure enjoyed the land based travel over there. To me there is nowhere that can compare to the historical depth of Europe. Someday, when I get more time & $$$ , I'll need to do a European cruise.

/ticker.png">
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Thank you so much, Judy.

Hi Greg,
Yes. What you say does make sense and I'm sorry to hear it. As you wrote, you are a popular poster and are missed.

My best wishes to you and yours for a very Happy, Healthy New Year.
I'll enjoy 'seeing' you here.

psst..... Hope by some lucky happenstance, there's a cruise in your near future.
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Hi Greg,
Yes. What you say does make sense and I'm sorry to hear it. As you wrote, you are a popular poster and are missed.

My best wishes to you and yours for a very Happy, Healthy New Year.
I'll enjoy 'seeing' you here.

psst..... Hope by some lucky happenstance, there's a cruise in your near future.
Thanks, Judy.
I'm not going to say that I won't ever post over on the "other" site again. I may. I'm just tired of wondering if the my next innocuous post might result in sudden-death because somebody else, or some "host," dislikes me or has an agenda against me.

And thank you regarding a "near future" cruise! I'm giving thought to a possible New England cruise in May. The prices are good. Now I have to find out if my schedule will allow it. Right now I don't know.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Comparatively speaking CruiseMates is a much nicer group. I've encountered very few flammers here.... thankfully.
I love to cruise, I love to talk cruising, I love to help- others talk cruising, but sometimes I do express an opinion. However most here seem aware that I'm full of nonsense and don't take me seriously.
That is good to know! And, like you, I love to cruise, I love to talk cruising, and I love to help others talk cruising. And, like you, I think not taking ourselves too seriously is VERY important, too. Thanks for the welcome!

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
No doubt you are into history, particularly religious history. Rome and the Mediterranean would be the best place for that, I suppose.
I've never sailed a European itinerary on a cruise, but sure enjoyed the land based travel over there. To me there is nowhere that can compare to the historical depth of Europe. Someday, when I get more time & $$$ , I'll need to do a European cruise.
I've loved my cruises in Europe. I adore the Baltic and Norway. I also enjoy the Mediterranean. Both are GREAT cruise locations. They are very much port intensive cruises, which is why doing a cruise that includes a crossing is a very good way to get both Europe AND sea days. I knock myself out the first week touring the ports we're hitting in Europe, then I relax and enjoy the ship for a week while crossing the Atlantic. It's a great combination.

My dream European cruise is the round trip out of New York to Northern Europe (i.e., "The Voyage of the Vikings."). It's hard to get the time to do that itinerary, but I'm going to do it some day.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Talking Over There, Over There ...

Quote:
...nor do I feel any desire to contribute to a site whose administration singles me out and penalizes me and threatens me with a permanent suspension ... Since they don't seem to want me "over there," I see no reason to post "over there" and thereby contribute to their site traffic by virtue of being a popular poster.

, positively makes sense, Rev! Since I have done exactly the same thing. I got tired of a favored individual being allowed to insult me personally and being threatened with suspension when I responded with facts.

This is a nice friendly site and I have high hopes the administrators are a bit more fair.

I plan to have a GREAT New Year on a GREAT new site!

See you around!

Old January 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

This is a much nicer site. No snarkiness here. I like it.
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
<snip>

My dream European cruise is the round trip out of New York to Northern Europe (i.e., "The Voyage of the Vikings."). It's hard to get the time to do that itinerary, but I'm going to do it some day.

We're booked for the second half of the Viking this year. We are cruising the 18 days from Amsterdam back to Boston.
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
We're booked for the second half of the Viking this year. We are cruising the 18 days from Amsterdam back to Boston.
I did the one-way from Europe to New York back in 1999 aboard the Maasdam. It was wonderful. It was during that cruise that I first gave thought to doing both halves. Some day, maybe I'll be able to.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse View Post
This is a much nicer site. No snarkiness here. I like it.
Hello, suse.
Let's hope it remains that way.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Hello, suse.
Let's hope it remains that way.
It does, over here.
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I've loved my cruises in Europe. I adore the Baltic and Norway. I also enjoy the Mediterranean. Both are GREAT cruise locations. They are very much port intensive cruises, which is why doing a cruise that includes a crossing is a very good way to get both Europe AND sea days. I knock myself out the first week touring the ports we're hitting in Europe, then I relax and enjoy the ship for a week while crossing the Atlantic. It's a great combination.

You are right on about sea days. I learned my lesson on a 7 day/6 port Southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan. TIRED ! I couldn't catch a break.
I almost booked a Mediterranean cruise once, but then looked closely and reached that realization...no sea days. There would be no way that I would fly to Europe to catch a ship, visit a port per day, then fly home. That's not a vacation, that's torture.
Those European cruises should still be there when I have the time to take my time.

/ticker.png">
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
You are right on about sea days. I learned my lesson on a 7 day/6 port Southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan. TIRED ! I couldn't catch a break.
I almost booked a Mediterranean cruise once, but then looked closely and reached that realization...no sea days. There would be no way that I would fly to Europe to catch a ship, visit a port per day, then fly home. That's not a vacation, that's torture.
Those European cruises should still be there when I have the time to take my time.
Port intensive cruises are a mixed blessing. I love seeing the ports, but I don't love not having sea days. Hence, on a crossing one gets the best of both worlds ... in this case, a western Mediterranean cruise departing from Rome ... with a port every day until one is read to strike out across the Atlantic for the "new world" and a week of glorious relaxation at sea!

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Default Port intense

The most port intense experience we have had was on the Holy Land cruise. It was a wonderful cruise, but we first had two days in the Holy Land followed immediately by two days in Egypt. It was absolutely wonderful, but those were four of the most hectic days we have ever spent! After departing Egypt we were very happy to have a sea day to collapse and recuperate!

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland.html

Old January 6th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
The most port intense experience we have had was on the Holy Land cruise. It was a wonderful cruise, but we first had two days in the Holy Land followed immediately by two days in Egypt. It was absolutely wonderful, but those were four of the most hectic days we have ever spent! After departing Egypt we were very happy to have a sea day to collapse and recuperate!

I would imagine that those Holy Land stops must have been so full your mind must have been scrambled and your body exhausted. Every time I've lead a land pilgrimage to Israel we're there for 7 days, 3 in Galilee-area and 4 in Jerusalem-area. We're constantly on the go go go, with no time to slow up, and are exhausted by the time we're done. I don't see how one sees much of anything on two short land-tours of Israel.

I am really wanting to do a land tour of Egypt some day, including a couple of days on a Nile river cruise. Finding the time to schedule such, however, can be tough between my Religious-related travel and my love of cruising.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Excellent Mike !
That looked like a fascinating trip.

/ticker.png">
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Talking Holy Land and Egypt

Quote:
I would imagine that those Holy Land stops must have been so full your mind must have been scrambled and your body exhausted. Every time I've lead a land pilgrimage to Israel we're there for 7 days, 3 in Galilee-area and 4 in Jerusalem-area. We're constantly on the go go go, with no time to slow up, and are exhausted by the time we're done. I don't see how one sees much of anything on two short land-tours of Israel.

I am really wanting to do a land tour of Egypt some day, including a couple of days on a Nile river cruise. Finding the time to schedule such, however, can be tough between my Religious-related travel and my love of cruising.
Of course, the difference between a two day port call and a 7 day or more tour is huge. It is truly amazing how many 5 star attractions can be crammed into two days, but if you want to see the 4 star, 3 star and 2 star attractions as well you need to take much longer.

My DW returned to Israel and Jordan for a longer tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. And I highly recommend the longer tour of Egypt and the Nile Cruise, we found it fascinating.

Check out our trip report and pictures at Review of Egypt Tour and Nile Cruise

However, it is comparing apples and oranges. As cruisers, most of what we see of the world will be in a short port call. And to be honest, usually that is enough.

Old January 7th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
However, it is comparing apples and oranges. As cruisers, most of what we see of the world will be in a short port call. And to be honest, usually that is enough.
In general I agree ... I look on the port stops as being "samples." On several occasions I've gone back to some place I've visited on a shore excursion. Hawaii, for instance.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Happy New Year Everyone!

Hi all....this is a lovely board!

Rev. Neal, good to see you again. You mentioned that you were happy enough with your port stops in Hawaii to actually go back. Since we are taking a cruise to HI, and knowing that the Arizona and a Luau are "must do's", would you recommend anything else not to be missed on Oahu, Kaui, Hawaii or Lanai?

Again, good to see some familiar faces