Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Familiar Face

Default Need Your Opinions on Indonesian Port Stops

We will be on the Volendam in March doing a 32 day cruise from AUK to SING. In my research I am surprised at the number of extremely negative reports about the Semarang, Padang Bai, and Tanjung/Jakarta stops.

Can anyone shed any positive light on these ports?

Specifically I am hearing a lot of stories of major hassles with local vendors, lots of petty crime, etc.

Based on what I have read, I'm getting a little concerned. We have cruised a lot over the years and I have no patience for people grabbing me, or hassling me to do whatever it is they are trying sell, legal or otherwise. For example, we don't even get off at Ocho Rios anymore because it simply isn't worth the aggravation. I am starting the conjur up visions of Ocho Rios....

Many thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Talking Indonesia

Hey, Ken ...

We will be on that cruise, at least the Sydney to Singapore portion.

It seems to me that reports of pushy vendors and petty crime are endemic on these boards and in reviews of everyplace from Barcelona to Cartagena. I have not really seen all that many about Indonesia, but then fewer people visit those ports.

We plan to travel either with the ship's excursions or with reputable guides, to stay in the normal tourist areas, and take the usual precautions like wearing a money belt and leaving jewellery on the ship. The only time we would deal with a vendor would be for a small trinket for a small amount of cash, and simply say a firm NO other times.

This worked in Africa, this worked in the Baltic, this worked in South America, this worked in Egypt and Morocco, this worked in London and Paris, I don't see that it will be any problem in Indonesia either! Actually after traveling all over the world the place my wife got her purse stolen was in New York City!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Familiar Face

Mike:

I have booked ship's tours for Borobudur by Motorcoach in Semarang and Bogor Highland & Countryside in Tanjung Priok. On good referrals, I booked a private tour in Bali as well.

We did the first leg of this cruise on the Volendam AUK-SYD 2 years ago and it was excellent. The second leg SYD-SING will be all new to us.

Many thanks,

Ken
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Talking Meet on Board

Hey Ken!

I couldn't find a Meet on Board thread for this cruise so I made one:

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mee...ml#post1339907

Come on over and we can discuss it!

Going to be a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html