Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Default Violence in Mexico

We have some retired friends who've lived in Mazatlan Mexico as expats for over 5 years...two weeks ago while walking down the street they ran right into a shoot-out. Everyone was ducking for cover. They later learned it was drug related and six people were killed and several by-standers were seriously injured. They also emailed me that there has been a big jump in violent crime, which is unusual...because up to this point most of the crime was what we would consider petty. We've visited Mazatlan many many times and have never felt threaten or nervous. But now the social/economic climate is very very different.
Our friends warned us that right now tourist are considered potential targets rather than potential customers. They wanted us to know what is going on so we could decide if we still intended to visit them the week of February 19th.
We were still considering it until yesterday...when.....

when yesterday, January 28th, I read in USA Today an article titled, 'Crime forces cruise lines to cancel stops in Mazatlan'. HAL, Princess and Disney have canceled all future port stops at Mazatlan. Of course RCL and Celebrity had already pulled out for other reasons I'm sure. But this latest lost is really going to impact the already fragile economic balance in that very poor city. I feel bad for the innocent venders who depend on the tourist trade. But from what my friends in Mazatlan say, it's not only not safe for tourist, but even for those who live there! We canceled our scheduled Mexican Rivera cruise which was scheduled to leave on Feb. 19th.

BTW: These cruiselines said they will be spending more time in Cabo...
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Captain

More than 35,000 people were shot and killed in America last year.
That's the biggest number on the world - by far.

California is the 15th most dangerous state (judged by crime statistics) in America.

Looking at the numbers, it is safer to get OFF a ship in Mexico than it is to get ON a ship in Los Angeles or San Francisco
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Welcome Newcomer

No kidding. We've got plenty of crime in our own back yards.
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Admiral

I would have no problem vacationing in San Diego ,San Francisco and many cities in between , but I absolutely refuse to set foot in Mexico
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Captain

I grew up in California, but I would never consider going back there - or anywhere else in the USA - for a vacation.

It's far too dangerous.
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I just returned from a week in Cabo San Lucas. I saw nothing that indicated that it was "less safe" than any other time I have visited Mexico. There are still the same street vendors and urchins who are pushing their wares but not overly aggressively.

We wandered throughout the town and area and at no time did we feel unsafe or threatened.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Default California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
I grew up in California, but I would never consider going back there - or anywhere else in the USA - for a vacation.

It's far too dangerous.
I have 10 cousins and several friends living in various cities in southern ,northern and in between .I've been to California 4 times and never had a problem .
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
More than 35,000 people were shot and killed in America last year.
That's the biggest number on the world - by far.

California is the 15th most dangerous state (judged by crime statistics) in America.

Looking at the numbers, it is safer to get OFF a ship in Mexico than it is to get ON a ship in Los Angeles or San Francisco
I have to disagree with your statistics. In 2010 there were 9,369 murders with firearms and a "total" number of murders were 16,204.

The U.S. is 24th in ranking of countries in murders with .042802 murders per 1000 people. Mexico is three times higher at .130213 murders per 1000 people. Regardless there are many dangerous areas in each country.

Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old January 30th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Captain

Mike,

Thanks for the link.
I found another one:

www.guncite.com/cnngunde.html
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I just returned from a week in Cabo San Lucas. I saw nothing that indicated that it was "less safe" than any other time I have visited Mexico. There are still the same street vendors and urchins who are pushing their wares but not overly aggressively.

We wandered throughout the town and area and at no time did we feel unsafe or threatened.

Take care,
Mike
The cruise ships will be spending MORE time in Cabo because there hasn't been a problem there...I was writing specifically only
about Mazatlan. As I mentioned, we've been to Mazatlan many many times to visit our friends...and have never felt threatened or unsafe. In fact we were there in December of 2009. BUT evidently there is a big change afoot. Since our friends live in Mazatlan I assume they are more aware of what's going on then I, a casual tourist. So when we were preparing to visit them in December 2010, and they felt concerned enough to warn us about what is happening in Mazatlan...we paid attention. I don't think they were doing this because they are alarmist or just didn't want us to visit (or maybe they did..hahaha) We believe they were acting out of genuine concern for our safety.
To be a victim of crime is terrible and stressful no matter where you are. But when it happens in a foreign country it can even feel worst. The differences in language and culture will heighten the feelings of stress, anxiety and worry. Not to mention the pure frustration of processing the paperwork involved in trying to get help!
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Fieldmouse:

I was specifically citing Cabo because the cruise lines have elected to go spend more time there instead of Mazatlan. At this time there was no perceivable difference in safety levels than I had previously encountered.

I will take the word of a resident over a casual tourist any day in regard to the overall safety of an area. A tourist, as I was, will only have anecdotal experience while a local's knowledge will be more in depth.

Perhaps we should change the title of the thread to "Violence in Mazatlan".

Take care,
Mike

Old February 1st, 2011, 12:58 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Someone needs to get their facts straight. As of today the only cruise line not to stop in Mazatlan is Disney. In my opinion this was a knee jerk decision. NCL, Carnival, Princess, and Holland America are all still scheduled to port in Mazatlan as usual. The safest ports of the journey for a 7 day Mx. Riviera cruise is the Mexico ports. It's much more dangerous in LA!
If they pulled out of every port with crime they couldn't sail anywhere in the world!
RCCL pulled out to go to Europe where they could make more money on cruise fare and excursions and save on all the fuel it takes to travel so far. That was announced over a year ago!
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Default "Violence in Mazatlan".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cruiser View Post
Someone needs to get their facts straight. As of today the only cruise line not to stop in Mazatlan is Disney. In my opinion this was a knee jerk decision. NCL, Carnival, Princess, and Holland America are all still scheduled to port in Mazatlan as usual. The safest ports of the journey for a 7 day Mx. Riviera cruise is the Mexico ports. It's much more dangerous in LA!
If they pulled out of every port with crime they couldn't sail anywhere in the world!
You might be right. I was only quoting USA Today...and of course sharing our friends warning who live in Mazatlan. You are also right about violence in L.A. too...but there is also a big difference between 'petty' robbery (taking your purse, switching merchandise, etc.) and a tourist being held at gunpoint by one robber, while another accomplice beats him AFTER stealing his cellphone and wallet just because they can (the gentleman had to be hospitalized)...or a woman being shoved to the ground and her jewelry being ripped off her neck...or two young women being held at gunpoint while their rented car is stolen....this in broad daylight on busy public streets.

I also agree with Mike M...Perhaps I should have had thread title as "Violence in Mazatlan" not Mexico.