Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Familiar Face

Default Room amenities on the Westerdam?

I am set to go on the Westerdam April 1-8. I was on this ship 5 years ago and loved it. Since I'm getting a little blind in my older years though, I need to find out if they provide the 5X lighted makeup mirror in all rooms. Also is the hairdryer still provided and is it a strong one? My hair is super thick and curly and takes forever to dry. Also, I am traveling with 3 other gals in the same room and wonder what the bed configuration is. Our cabin # is 1108. We are all on a budget but would like to do a good shore excursion at each port. I would love input! I always appreciate getting any kind of tip from past cruisers so feel free! Thanks in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Yes they still have the lighted mirrors.
There is a hair dryer in the room, but I don't know if it would be strong enough for your hair - it's fine for me because I have short fine hair.

Your cabin will have twin beds, a sofa which is made into a bed at night and an upper bunk.

If you go to HAL's website www.hollandamerica.com go to "On Board Our Ships", "Deck plans" and then scroll down to Westerdam. There you will see the deck plans and if you click on your cabin # you will see what it looks like.

I really hope it's bigger than it looks because for 4 gals it's going to be cozy.

You don't say what ports you are visiting, so if you list those I am sure there will be someone to help you with excursions.

Have FUN!
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the info. I don't want to have to pack extra stuff if it's provided already. Thanks for the tip about the room. I didn't realize it would show you the room if you clicked on it. It will be a little cozy, but it's my daughter and my 2 sisters going with me so I'm not worried. It is the Southern Carribean itinerary with stops at Half Moon Cay, Oranjestad, Aruba and Willemstad, Curacao. I have been on a number of other cruises but have only visited the private island. I would love to know if there is a "must see" that we shouldn't miss. Thanks again!
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Talking Caribbean ports

Well, the sleeping arrangements are not going to be the problem. But for four gals, the bathroom really is! You are going to have to schedule it! The first two out of the bathroom need to get out to one of the public rooms while the second two get ready.

One big tip ... forget about showering in your cabin. The spa has big beautiful showers with big comfy towels in the changing rooms that are free. Work it out so your daily shower is up there!

Budget/good shore excursions makes a bit of compromise necessary. As you know Half Moon Cay is a place you can just enjoy without spending a lot of money.

Aruba is not, IMHO, all that thrilling. We did a tour to Hole in the Rock or whatever it is called, and the butterfly farm, OK but nothing exciting. The beaches looked wonderful if you want another beach day.

In Curacao I definitely recommend the Seaquarium! You can get a taxi there and it won't be all that expensive. I suggest splurging on the sea lion encounter, or the dolphin encounter.

You can check our trip report at
The Halls Southern Caribbean Cruise

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

In Aruba, take the local bus from the bus terminal across the street from the pier. You can get off at any beach you like and reboard the bus when you're done. The round trip fare for 2 was $5 in 2009. What a bargain! You can either stop at Eagle Beach (no restroom facilities) or go up to the hotel area and gain access to the beach from there. All beaches in Aruba are public. Be sure to take a towel and some bottled water. The water is wonderful!

You girls will have a great time.
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks so much for all the info! Makes me that much more anxious for departure day!
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks so much for the input. I was on this ship 5 years ago and I was sure they had laundry facilities, but I read somewhere since I booked this one that they don't. Do you know? Thanks!
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagal View Post
Thanks so much for the input. I was on this ship 5 years ago and I was sure they had laundry facilities, but I read somewhere since I booked this one that they don't. Do you know? Thanks!
No laundry facilities, but they do have laundry packages. We usually take a Deluxe Suite & get free laundry so I have no idea what the prices are but understand they are reasonable.

Check with your cabin steward and he will show you where the laundry bag is and what the individual and package prices are.
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
No laundry facilities, but they do have laundry packages. We usually take a Deluxe Suite & get free laundry so I have no idea what the prices are but understand they are reasonable.

Check with your cabin steward and he will show you where the laundry bag is and what the individual and package prices are.
There is usually a special deal for all you can fit into the laundry bag. I'm always amazed at how much I can cram in there. Everything comes back nicely pressed on hangers or folded in a basket. I don't give them anything that is delicate or needs special handling. I've never used the dry-cleaning service.
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Familiar Face

Again, thanks! I'm sure a few more questions will come up before departure day and I appreciate having a place to get the answers!
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

If any of you are light sleepers change your room now! My wife and I spent the last week in this cabin and there are 2 hours per day that it is quiet. 1-2 am and 4-5 am the rest of the time you'll hear dinner carts rolling over your head and pallets of food being dropped on the floor directly over your head.

This room is so noisy that you can't turn the TV up loud enough to drown out the noise, or put it this way you won't be able to hear the TV over the noise no matter how loud you make it.

Stay away from this room at all costs if you like sleep.

But if you complain they'll give you some earplugs from the engine room free of charge.