CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Bored to death on Nieuw Amsterdam? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/380436-bored-death-nieuw-amsterdam.html)

rainbowfish February 14th, 2011 05:50 AM

Bored to death on Nieuw Amsterdam?

Good Morning, Fellow Cruisers:

My boyfriend and I are hitting the high seas on the Nieuw Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and I'm a bit concerned about the activities on the ship.

I've been on HAL before (Zuiderdam in 08) and feel in love with this luxury line of ships. Thinking it would be good for my boyfriend who has never cruised before, I booked us for a Western Caribbean tour.

We're both fairly young (33 and 41) and while we wanted to avoid the spring break atmosphere of most cruise lines, we certainly hope to have fun on HAL.

We're fairly booked with excursions for Grand Cayman and Costa Maya, but looking at what's offered for fun on the ship (volleyball, basketball, bingo), we hope there's a bit more.

Anyone know what activities this ship offers? Many thanks and here's hoping to a great vacation in a few weeks :)

sergej February 14th, 2011 11:02 AM

As for Bingo - that great fun game you'll get every day on any US ship, or
at any old people's home of cource.
Enjoy.

sail7seas February 14th, 2011 01:49 PM

Saw your thread on the 'other board'. Don't worry. You'll have a great time. Surely you and your boyfriend will find lots to do together to enjoy.

DH and I are 'self entertainers' and don't look for lots of organized activities but there are plenty for those folks who want them.

Trip February 14th, 2011 03:03 PM

My two Hal cruises were extremely quiet at night, and, this really surprised me. We sailed the Zuiderdam, and the old Westerdam.

Kuki February 14th, 2011 03:16 PM

At your ages you'll definitely qualify for the "kid's programs" :)

There are the culinary classes that you could find interesting. Though not as abundant on some lines, HAL does have some pool games; pool volleyball, putting contests, hacksack tossing, etc.

There are also activities on the sports deck.

johnthed0g February 14th, 2011 04:12 PM

To be honest we have never found much to interest us during the day on ships, but we are quite happy sitting on deck, wandering about, sitting on the balcony, wife likes bingo....

Skipper's Mom February 14th, 2011 08:17 PM

There's always trivia...culinary arts...bingo....reading on your balcony....spa treatments...sitting around the pool...

Isn't the point of a vacation just relaxing and enjoying yourselves?

Have a great time!

Ryan N Olivia February 15th, 2011 12:22 AM

There is a pub crawl on the newer ships that is suppose to be a lot of fun.