Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Was I visited by a good upgrade fairy?

Hi,All:

Just got our room assignment for the March 13th Nieuw Amsterdam sailing to the Western Caribbean: Went from a VH to VA7126.

Is this a good place to be on the ship?

Many thanks and happy sailing to all!

:eek:
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Admiral

No idea! But we've got 21 days til our sailing, and I'm wondering if/when we'll get anything. I'm holding off on printing my e-docs just in case!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I went to look at the deck plans..saw your cabin, but not any that said VH. You are close to aft, and, not that far from the elevators...How many decks did you go up? Sometimes an upgrade to one, is not, to another..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 27th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
No idea! But we've got 21 days til our sailing, and I'm wondering if/when we'll get anything. I'm holding off on printing my e-docs just in case!

You don't have to hold off printing your docs in case you might get an upgrade. I'd do them now and you only have to print the first page - the other stuff is not necessary.
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Talking Upgrade Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowfish View Post
Hi,All:

Just got our room assignment for the March 13th Nieuw Amsterdam sailing to the Western Caribbean: Went from a VH to VA7126.

Is this a good place to be on the ship?

Many thanks and happy sailing to all!

:eek:
Where the Fairy Dust lands is always an interesting question. An upgrade from VH to VA is worth quite a bit on brochure prices, so you got a good deal on the plain basis of cost.

Now whether the particular cabin you got assigned is good for you, and whether it is better than what you might have had, is more problematical. What are your criteria for cabin assignment? Do you want to be midships, near the restaurant, on a higher deck, what??

The people who booked a particular cabin and had their TA mark it "do not upgrade" will be situated exactly where they decided they want to be. In most instances, those will be the midships cabins that are considered "more desirable." Consequently, the cabins that are available for a free upgrade are those that NOBODY PICKED! Does this mean they are the less desirable cabins? Not necessarily. But are they right for you? Only you know that one.

Personally, I like the cabins near the elevator. The noise and people congregating there never bothers me. Those who are sensitive to sound and bustle might disagree. I also like the elevator near the main show lounge, because I figure that is where I will be late at night on the way up to go to bed. But those are due to our cruising style. Others have other preferences.

So -- you booked a guarantee, and you got a nice upgrade "run of ship." You saved some money over what it would have cost you to buy a VA. Revel in the Fairy Dust in your hair and enjoy!!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Received our guaranteed cabin assignment today, Verandah Deck, Cat. B on the Ryndam. This is a nice location on the starboard side to the rear of the mid-section of the ship near the aft elevators. Last year on Eurodam, we were the last cabin on the deck and felt like we walked MILES in every direction. I can live with this location. MIL and I are ready and excited about our next cruise.
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thumbs up

Ok, here's the deal. Going from a VH to a VA is an awesome upgrade. Congratulations. It's a big deal.
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Familiar Face

DW and I are also on the NA cruise leaving on the 13th, and we also went from a VH to a VA on Deck 8. I figured this was a pretty big upgrade, and I'm glad to get confirmation of that.

As for the location of the VH cabins, there are only four of them, and they're all the way forward on Deck 4. That's bad enough, but they also don't have plexiglass balcony railings; they're made of solid steel.

So, here's my question. Who will end up getting those crappy cabins, the folks who book VH first, or the ones who book VH last? And I have to wonder how full the ship will be if they have a bunch of VA's to give away.
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Late bookers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISurfTooMuch View Post
DW and I are also on the NA cruise leaving on the 13th, and we also went from a VH to a VA on Deck 8. I figured this was a pretty big upgrade, and I'm glad to get confirmation of that.

As for the location of the VH cabins, there are only four of them, and they're all the way forward on Deck 4. That's bad enough, but they also don't have plexiglass balcony railings; they're made of solid steel.

So, here's my question. Who will end up getting those crappy cabins, the folks who book VH first, or the ones who book VH last? And I have to wonder how full the ship will be if they have a bunch of VA's to give away.
Most likely people who booked late, and most likely at a discount.

One of the purposes of the upgrade process is to make the most saleable (i.e. cheapest) cabins in a category available, in order to advertise them and fill the ship.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I saw this thread and I wanted to discuss a situation that came up yesterday. We are sailing on the Amsterdam in August and I noticed that the price for our N cabin had been reduced from what we had paid in April. So I called HAL and they immediately upgraded us to an L cabin, which is just a little bigger.

Here's my thoughts. The price for the N cabin that we originally purchased is now being offered for $100 less than what we originally paid for it and a category NN is $200 less than what we paid. However, we have been upgraded to an L which prices out $300 more than what we paid.

Would it be snobbish to call HAL and explain the situation and request shipboard credit? We are first time cruisers who are excited about our trip to Alaska, but we also want to get the most bang for our buck. How should we handle this?
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Lucky to get anything, if it was P&O UK they just say hard luck, people I know have actually cancelled, lost the deposit & re booked because it was cheaper AND they got a balcony instead of inside...US cruise lines seem more honourable somehow.
Sometimes upgrades are a better grade but a worse position.
They used to upgrade those who booked cheaper cabins early, but now they seem to say ''you booked it you put up with it'', we shall sell the better cabins off cheap because they will sell easy.
Old June 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueHombre View Post
I saw this thread and I wanted to discuss a situation that came up yesterday. We are sailing on the Amsterdam in August and I noticed that the price for our N cabin had been reduced from what we had paid in April. So I called HAL and they immediately upgraded us to an L cabin, which is just a little bigger.

Here's my thoughts. The price for the N cabin that we originally purchased is now being offered for $100 less than what we originally paid for it and a category NN is $200 less than what we paid. However, we have been upgraded to an L which prices out $300 more than what we paid.

Would it be snobbish to call HAL and explain the situation and request shipboard credit? We are first time cruisers who are excited about our trip to Alaska, but we also want to get the most bang for our buck. How should we handle this?
Why would you expect to get anything, like a shipboard credit? They have upgraded you to a more expensive cabin and have charged you nothing. I'm confused.
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom View Post
Received our guaranteed cabin assignment today, Verandah Deck, Cat. B on the Ryndam. This is a nice location on the starboard side to the rear of the mid-section of the ship near the aft elevators. Last year on Eurodam, we were the last cabin on the deck and felt like we walked MILES in every direction. I can live with this location. MIL and I are ready and excited about our next cruise.

Ryndam is a much smaller ship than Eurodam. You will be amazed the difference walking bow to stern on Ryndam vs how far is was to walk forward to aft on Eurodam.

Ryndam is a lovely ship..... but then again so is Eurodam. We've had great cruises on both.

Enjoy.
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
Why would you expect to get anything, like a shipboard credit? They have upgraded you to a more expensive cabin and have charged you nothing. I'm confused.
Yeah, it's the greedy part of me coming out. You are right.
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Captain

Remember........

There are people who actually book and pay for those cabins. Some folks 'cough up' the fare.
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
First Mate

Default Upgrade

Did a guarantee for the Mediterrean Tapestry cruise in July....hope I fare as well as you did!

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11