CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Holland America Does the Impossible (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/380996-holland-america-does-impossible.html)

Paul Motter March 7th, 2011 01:25 PM

Holland America Does the Impossible

Holland America Does the Impossible

For decades the standard time for staterooms to be accessible on embarkation day has been 1:30 p.m. But Holland just implemented a new procedure that makes your stateroom ready for you the moment you embark - starting at 11:30 A.M. They have eliminated the wait and the crowds in the Lido Restaurant on embarkation day. Good job!

How did they accomplish this little but important miracle of time compression? If you want to know how you can read it in CruiseMates: Holland America Staterooms Open at 11:30

I have never understood, personally, why so many people want to arrive at the cruise ship as early as possible on embarkation day. But I know many people like to arrive at the terminal at the earliest possible moment - as early as 10:30 in some cases. For the most part this only means standing in a line to wait for the check-in process to start - usually at 11:00. After you checked in you still have to wait for the ship to say it is ready to receive the new passengers - usually about noon. To top it off, once you get onboard the only worthwhile place to go is the Lido Buffet restaurant, toting your carryon luggage with you. There you sit and eat until 1:30 p.m. when they finally give you access to the staterooms.

But Holland America has solved this problem with its new "Stateroom Direct Service" policy. Every Holland America ship now gives every embarking passenger immediate access to their staterooms - as early as 11:30 a.m.

This is quite an accomplishment and Holland America deserves a lot of credit for identifying and eventually solving a very significant inconvenience that has plagued cruise passengers and crewmembers for decades. The only downside to this for Holland America is the inevitability that other cruise lines will soon "copy" (or maybe steal is a better word) their ideas.

Lakers Fan March 7th, 2011 03:59 PM

On my HAL cruise 2 months ago ,my friends and I were on line at 11:30 to board .There were hundreds ahead of us .We desired to board early so that we could attend the 12 noon mariners lunch .Our cabins were available immediately .

ruthlessboss March 7th, 2011 04:18 PM

Great system, but how do they get those last few die hards out of their room?

CA Cruiser March 7th, 2011 04:44 PM

Our cabins on the Golden Princess last November for our 2 week r/t Hawaii cruise were available at 11:30 am also. We were able to drop off our carry on and enjoy our lunch without dragging it around. On our recent Disney cruise, the cabins weren't available until 2 pm!! Many parents/families came prepared because the pool was full of kids enjoying the sun and fun.

Queen of Oakville March 7th, 2011 07:14 PM

Good to know this has started already! We board in 11 days.

Lakers Fan March 7th, 2011 08:58 PM

Where is your cruise to ?

Queen of Oakville March 8th, 2011 12:27 PM

Me? Eurodam Western (San Juan, Turks, St. Maarten, HMC)

earl March 8th, 2011 05:21 PM

Thats good news!. earlier the better

Skipper's Mom March 13th, 2011 12:22 PM

Just returned from my Ryndam cruise this morning. On embarkation day, cabins were ready when we boarded at 11:30 a.m. which was great to be able to drop off carry-on luggage and then head to dining room for Mariners Luncheon. Today, we got off at 9:00 a.m. and the ship was just about empty. The cabin stewards do a great job getting ready for the next onslaught on passengers. Kudos to HAL.

Lakers Fan March 13th, 2011 01:05 PM

We are 90% certain that we will be doing our third HAL cruise soon .

bmiers March 13th, 2011 02:55 PM

Hooray!!!

This is a great idea, I hope it spreads to other kines!

DeeDee March 13th, 2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmiers (Post 1359155)
This is a great idea, I hope it spreads to other kines!

:confused: Did you mean to say "other kinds of ships/cruise lines"?

Nice pics of the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam. What ship were you on?