Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default Savings on airfare for transatlantic cruises

My wife and I tinkered with the idea of a repositioning cruise with Celebrity and hit a brick wall with airfare. Nonstop flights from NYC to Rome were running more than the cost of the cruise ($2000). (Naturally you can select layovers in Germany for less).

But then I looked at booking a hotel in combination with the nonstop, roundtrip flight. Bingo. As little as $857. What about the return flight?

Don't take it. Naturally, you can consider trying to make some sort of arrangement with the airline for credits once you are there - but you've already saved money on the upfront cost. And gotten a night's sleep in a hotel in Rome.

Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I booked air today from HAL. The price at $689 pp one-way. That is considerably less than what I found online. This from Tampa/Philadelphia/Venice.
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Captain

Keep in mind the airline can charge you the full one way fare if you don't use the return ticket. It doesn't happen often but your credit card could be charged the additional amount. They understand the 'game' some folks play to get a decent one way fare.
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askabry View Post
My wife and I tinkered with the idea of a repositioning cruise with Celebrity and hit a brick wall with airfare. Nonstop flights from NYC to Rome were running more than the cost of the cruise ($2000). (Naturally you can select layovers in Germany for less).

But then I looked at booking a hotel in combination with the nonstop, roundtrip flight. Bingo. As little as $857. What about the return flight?

Don't take it. Naturally, you can consider trying to make some sort of arrangement with the airline for credits once you are there - but you've already saved money on the upfront cost. And gotten a night's sleep in a hotel in Rome.

Just a thought.
Do a Rome to NYC transatlantic in the fall with the other half of the ticket.
O F C'er
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
Keep in mind the airline can charge you the full one way fare if you don't use the return ticket. It doesn't happen often but your credit card could be charged the additional amount. They understand the 'game' some folks play to get a decent one way fare.
Really? Wow. Did not know that at all! Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:05 AM
Familiar Face

Default One-way flights

Try Aer Lingus. This Irish airline almost always has reasonable one-way fares. You would book JFK to DUB, then DUB to FCO. If you need to stay overnight, there are several good hotels at the Dublin airport. AL used to also have flights from Chicago to Dublin, but I do not know if they still do.

Also check such web sites as KAYAK for accurate fare and airline information.

Bob