Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Familiar Face

Default Oh Captain my captain? Half Moon Cay fun

I've already commented positively on my stay with Eurodam. Below is a minor complaint I've made to the management, via their website, a couple of days ago. Today I received a notice from the office of the president, asking for time to review the situation.

I'm certainly happy to have a response from such a perch, even if it's asking me to just wait a minute. I'll add in more as I get information from their offices.

My family enjoyed our stay pretty much universally, in cabins 7077, 7093 and 7125. I myself had travelled years before on Holland and many times since on your competitors. We were stunned, however, at what happened on your own island. I presume a member of your staff walked by us near the lockers. He was dressed in costume, a walking advertisement for Captain Morgan. When members of my party asked if they could have his picture taken with him, he first asked their ages. I can truly appreciate the legalities of having a corporate image photographed with a minor. But his defensiveness really was off-putting. He barked, nearly shouted in a really inappropriately angry tone, that any picture couldn't be taken. Again, I appreciat the situation but it wasn't as if any of our party was particularly insistant on this picture being taken. In retrospect I'd suggest that it might be best to constrain people dressed as liquor salespeople to areas where liquor is sold. Having him move about island is bound to create environments where only negative output will result. Thanks for a great vacation, and we hope to return one day, Alex and Cherie
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When I was there, I don't remember this..was he a cabana boy/waiter,just in a costume, or is there really a marketing connection? I am a bit confused here.

I look forward to hearing their response. Having someone dressed up, in what to kids, is simply a pirates costume, and getting such a brusk retort, is off putting to say the least

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Captain

What is it you request HAL does in regard to the letter you sent?
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:18 PM
First Mate

My guess someone looking for something free from the cruise line
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think the original poster has a legitimate comment to make. Never any reason for a crew member (even dressed as Captain Morgan) to be rude to a passenger.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Familiar Face

Default varied responses

Actually, I'm not looking for anything and if you read my letter to Holland it gives them what I am looking for: specifically a change in policy. Nothing more than that and certainly nothing punitive against the employee.

The employee was dressed as a Captain Morgan look-a-like, and was on his way to the "ship"/bar (those of you that have been to Half Moon know what I'm talking about).

As a former restauranteur I take seriously copyright infringements and damage to an icon like the pirate. But in this environment he shouldn't be walking around the larger grounds and if necessary Holland should be providing him with changing quarters to get in costume at the bar. It's really that simple.

If they would do that they might avoid the entire question of whether a guest is overreacting to his response.

Management's response will surely be posted here.
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Perhaps he was trying to be in character?

I loved HMC but I was very off-put the island staff. I'm sure most/all of therm are ship staff who take on additional work on HMC. The main thing that got me was how little the staff now of what was where on the island.

We had trouble finding club HAL. Had we paid attention to the directions that were in the Club HAl directions, we would have been fine. Instead we got off the island and started walking. We looked at teh board signs which had Club Hal identified as being in an area that it wasn't. We kept following the legend on the map and there was nothing where the map said it would be. We walked to the ship. We asked at leat 6 different staff members for directions to Club Hal ~ no one knew where it was. Some just pointed us off in the wrong direction. We had too much stuff in tow, plus two kids, and the sun was beating down. We were miserable.

To me, there is no excuse for the island staff to know know where everything is. And if they dont' know, they should say they dont know rather than just guessing and send you off in the wrong direction. I found many of the island workers to be rude and/or indifferent which was VERY different from my experience on the ship.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
To me, there is no excuse for the island staff to know know where everything is. And if they dont' know, they should say they dont know rather than just guessing and send you off in the wrong direction. I found many of the island workers to be rude and/or indifferent which was VERY different from my experience on the ship.
I really couldn't agree with you any more. You should send a notice to Holland on this, because in combination with my experience ... and given that we were there within one week of each other, from the same ship and undoubtedly there on the same day of the week ... it really might serve to change things.
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Captain

I have heard that Captain Morgan Rum and HAL have collaborated for the Pirate Bar at HMC so it isn't likely there is any 'copyright infringement', if, indeed, that are 'partners' in that setting.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:54 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Perhaps he was trying to be in character?

I loved HMC but I was very off-put the island staff. I'm sure most/all of therm are ship staff who take on additional work on HMC. The main thing that got me was how little the staff now of what was where on the island.

We had trouble finding club HAL. Had we paid attention to the directions that were in the Club HAl directions, we would have been fine. Instead we got off the island and started walking. We looked at teh board signs which had Club Hal identified as being in an area that it wasn't. We kept following the legend on the map and there was nothing where the map said it would be. We walked to the ship. We asked at leat 6 different staff members for directions to Club Hal ~ no one knew where it was. Some just pointed us off in the wrong direction. We had too much stuff in tow, plus two kids, and the sun was beating down. We were miserable.

Even though you are sure that most or all of the staff on HMC are ship staff - they are not.

These people are employed by a management company that oversees the island for HAL. Some of them are Bahamian residents who commute to HMC from one of the larger islands in the Bahamas. The remainder are not even from the Bahamas. They commute via boat from some distance away.

The fellow dressed as Captain Morgan does not work for HAL and does not work for the management of HMC. He is employed by a large international liquor distribution company that financed and built the Captain Morgan on the Rocks Bar on HMC.
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This marketing conception was not in play when I was there, glad my memory is not that bad.

Even if the "Captain" does not work for HAL, he does represent them in his job,and consequently, in my opinion should be held to the same standards as one who is employed directly.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; April 14th, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This marketing conception was not in play when I was there, glad my memory is not that bad.

Even if the "Captain" does not work for HAL, he does represent them in his job,and consequently, in my opinion should be held to the same standards ao one who is employed directly.
Trip,
I couldn't agree with you more.
One could also argue that travel agents who sell you the cruise, the people who meet cruise passengers at the airport, drive the transfer buses to the pier, handle the bags on the pier, check you in at the pier, handle port security, perform Customs and Immigration checks, and conduct tours in ports also do not work directly for the cruise lines - but should still be held to the same high standards.

Unfortunately, all too often, these people also fail to measure up.
In far too many situations, when working with a second or third party vendor connected to a cruise line, the experience is not the best. The cruise lines do not have enough control over these people to ensure that the standards will be met.
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Trip,
One could also argue that travel agents who sell you the cruise, the people who meet cruise passengers at the airport, drive the transfer buses to the pier, handle the bags on the pier, check you in at the pier, handle port security, perform Customs and Immigration checks, and conduct tours in ports also do not work directly for the cruise lines - but should still be held to the same high standards.

Unfortunately, all too often, these people also fail to measure up.
In far too many situations, when working with a second or third party vendor connected to a cruise line, the experience is not the best. The cruise lines do not have enough control over these people to ensure that the standards will be met.
Holy crap. Are you trying to draw a line between a baggage handler at an airport to Mr. Morgan? There is a world of difference here.

Mr. Morgan works on an island owned specifically by HMC and is there, even at arm's length, at their bidding. The agreement between HMC and the bar management offers HMC considerably sway in how personnel deal with HMC's clientele.

The cruise line has complete control over what happens at HMC. In point of fact, by stating that it is a "private island" they are giving the full weight of Holland America that they control everything on that island.
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Captain

Can we pass on the 'crap' language? Thanks.

You want professional behavior so let's all abide.

I haven't researched and certainly won't bother but I'm not sure if Carnival Corporation or HAL (owned by Carnival Corporation) owns HMC. You do know that Carnival ships also call there but never when a HAL ship is at the Island.

Many of the island workers come over from Eleuthra to work the island when ships are in.

There are also permanent caretakers who live on the island, particularly to take care of the horses.

I think this is a big deal about a little thing.
You certainly could have found any number of supervisory HAL personnel to speak with if the situation was so distressing. Did you try to do anything about this at the time? If not, why not? If not, what is the point now? Nothing can be done to get your photo at this point. The reason to speak up at the time of an incident is to have it corrected. Or is it just to 'file a complaint'. I always feel I address the issue while on the ship so there is a chance of making it better. Once I'm home, all they can offer is money or discount. I don't want anything other than my cruise to be the best possible. But that's just me and DH..... not everyone feels that way.

Hope you enjoy Captain Morgan more next time you may encounter him.
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askabry View Post
Holy crap. Are you trying to draw a line between a baggage handler at an airport to Mr. Morgan? There is a world of difference here.

Mr. Morgan works on an island owned specifically by HMC and is there, even at arm's length, at their bidding. The agreement between HMC and the bar management offers HMC considerably sway in how personnel deal with HMC's clientele.

The cruise line has complete control over what happens at HMC. In point of fact, by stating that it is a "private island" they are giving the full weight of Holland America that they control everything on that island.
You need to do a bit more homework - and re-read my post.
I never mentioned baggage handlers at the airport.
I mentioned the baggage handlers at the PIER.

Half Moon Cay is neither owned by HAL nor Carnival Corporation.
It is leased by Carnival Corporation from the Bahamian Government.
HAL is a subsidiary of a tenant occupant.
HMC is managed by a facility management company based in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
You say that "the agreement between HMC and the bar management offers HMC considerably (sic) sway in how personnel deal with HMC's clientele."

Have you seen the contract between the Michigan-based management company and Carnival Corp?
Have you seen the contract between DIAGEO (the European-based liquor distributor that built the bar and hired the Captain Morgan actor) and Carnival Corporation?
I sincerely doubt it.
HAL doesn't have any contracts with any of them, by the way. They are paid by Carnival Corp.

You say that "the cruise line has complete control over what happens at HMC".
Not quite.
The Bahamian Government has complete control over what happens at HMC. It's their country.
A Carnival Corporation Vice President oversees the general activities of the management company there, and occasionally speaks to HAL on what goes on there.

The baggage handler at the pier works for a union hired by the port authority.
The union is paid directly by the cruise line (HAL in this case).
The travel agent selling you the cruise is paid a commision directly by HAL.
The check-in staff work for HAL shore operations and are paid by HAL.
The bus driver from the airport to the pier works for HAL shore operations and is paid by HAL.

Last edited by Bruce Chafkin1; April 16th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I really couldn't agree with you any more. You should send a notice to Holland on this, because in combination with my experience ... and given that we were there within one week of each other, from the same ship and undoubtedly there on the same day of the week ... it really might serve to change things.
It's a distant memory now! I did briefly comment on this in my comment card.

Quote:
Even though you are sure that most or all of the staff on HMC are ship staff - they are not.

These people are employed by a management company that oversees the island for HAL. Some of them are Bahamian residents who commute to HMC from one of the larger islands in the Bahamas. The remainder are not even from the Bahamas. They commute via boat from some distance away.

Very interesting! I stand corrected then.

Quote:
Trip,
I think that is a stretch. HAL takes us to what they profess to be their private island. I would demand high standards of HAL's own booking centres. But travel agents are independant re-sellers and don't need to be held to anyone's standards but their own. Like any company, they live and die by their own sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
I haven't researched and certainly won't bother but I'm not sure if Carnival Corporation or HAL (owned by Carnival Corporation) owns HMC. You do know that Carnival ships also call there but never when a HAL ship is at the Island.

So does Carnival stop at the same island? I assumed that part of the island was branded for HAL and part of the island was branded for Carnival; which would not preclude both ships beign docked at the same time. When Carnivals docks there; do they change over all the signage from HAL to Carnival? Just curious.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Admiral

"So does Carnival stop at the same island? I assumed that part of the island was branded for HAL and part of the island was branded for Carnival; which would not preclude both ships beign docked at the same time. When Carnivals docks there; do they change over all the signage from HAL to Carnival? Just curious."

No part of the island is not branded for HAL and part for Carnival.

Carnival ships only stop at HMC when HAL ships are not there -usually in the summer months. You might find the odd Carnival ship at HMC in the winter months but not when a HAL ship is there. Sometimes you will find 2 HAL ships at the island but definitely not a Carnival & HAL ship together.

HAL ships are either in Alaska, Europe or other parts of the world in summer.

I have no idea whether they change over all signage from HAL to Carnival.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
You need to do a bit more homework - and re-read my post.
I never mentioned baggage handlers at the airport.
I mentioned the baggage handlers at the PIER.

Fair enough.

Half Moon Cay is neither owned by HAL nor Carnival Corporation.
It is leased by Carnival Corporation from the Bahamian Government.
HAL is a subsidiary of a tenant occupant.
HMC is managed by a facility management company based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. what is your point here?You say that "the agreement between HMC and the bar management offers HMC considerably (sic) sway in how personnel deal with HMC's clientele." I should have used the HAL instead of HMC, it was a typo."

Have you seen the contract between the Michigan-based management company and Carnival Corp? Shall I presume from this that you have? And if you have not, why the inferred superior air? I am making some assumptions, based on what I have seen in my past. Have you seen the contract between DIAGEO (the European-based liquor distributor that built the bar and hired the Captain Morgan actor) and Carnival Corporation?
I sincerely doubt it. As I doubt you have seen them. I most certainly can tell you that I have seen how trademarks are protected in the hospitality industry. HAL doesn't have any contracts with any of them, by the way. They are paid by Carnival Corp.

Are you kidding here? Carnival owns Holland. What difference does it make who writes the check!

You say that "the cruise line has complete control over what happens at HMC".
Not quite.
The Bahamian Government has complete control over what happens at HMC. It's their country. For real? You are honestly are going to say that the Bahamian government has control - interest in the least? - over the manner in which employees handle guests at a resort? Good treatment of guests benefits Holland America, and by benefitting Holland America, benefits Carnival. Poor treatement does the opposite and the cruise lines - wherever their staff interact with clients, have at the least either the control over that interaction or reasonable best interests to control that interaction.
A Carnival Corporation Vice President oversees the general activities of the management company there, and occasionally speaks to HAL on what goes on there.

A curious passage. You know the frequency of their conversations with their subsidiary companies, and what they might discuss? .
as per above. Trying to splice ownership of who owns the island, talk about HAL vs CCL, and what not is simply obfuscating the point here. As you yourself say, all the people should be held to the same high standards as the waiter in the Rembrandt room. The point of this entire thread is predicated on the thought that they cruise lines have the power (or should assert such power as they have) in this arena.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
First Mate

[/QUOTE]I think that is a stretch. HAL takes us to what they profess to be their private island. I would demand high standards of HAL's own booking centres. But travel agents are independant re-sellers and don't need to be held to anyone's standards but their own. Like any company, they live and die by their own sword.
So does Carnival stop at the same island? I assumed that part of the island was branded for HAL and part of the island was branded for Carnival; which would not preclude both ships beign docked at the same time. When Carnivals docks there; do they change over all the signage from HAL to Carnival? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

DIAGEO, who built the Captain Morgan Bar - and employs the Captain Morgan Actor - is also an independent re-seller. Does that mean they and their employees also do not need to be held to anyone's standards but their own?

You should never ASSUME anything. Assuming usually gets uninformed people into trouble.
HMC is not branded for one company or another. No signs are changed when different ships call there.
There is never an occasion when ships from HAL and Carnival visit simultaneously at HMC.
More Carnival ships than HAL ships call there every year.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
Can we pass on the 'crap' language? Thanks.

You want professional behavior so let's all abide. Apologies that my surprise at Bruces' post was found to be "unprofessional". .

Many of the island workers come over from Eleuthra to work the island when ships are in.

There are also permanent caretakers who live on the island, particularly to take care of the horses.

I think this is a big deal about a little thing.
You certainly could have found any number of supervisory HAL personnel to speak with if the situation was so distressing. Did you try to do anything about this at the time? If not, why not? If not, what is the point now? Nothing can be done to get your photo at this point. The reason to speak up at the time of an incident is to have it corrected. Or is it just to 'file a complaint'. I always feel I address the issue while on the ship so there is a chance of making it better. Once I'm home, all they can offer is money or discount. I don't want anything other than my cruise to be the best possible. But that's just me and DH..... not everyone feels that way.

Hope you enjoy Captain Morgan more next time you may encounter him.
You want "professional behavior" and finish with a snide comment about Captain Morgan? Amazing.

Take a moment, read my comments here and you'll realize (hopefully) that all I'm looking for is the cruise lines to improve. In fact, that is all I was looking for and STATED SO in my letter to the cruise lines. In fact, you asked this question earlier in the thread and I answered it above!

Inferring that I am after a discount, and taking the "high and mighty road" that all you want is making your cruise the best possible seems pretty much like a bull crap post to me. Sorry if that last line wasn't "professional".

Last edited by Askabry; April 18th, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
You want "professional behavior" and finish with a snide comment about Captain Morgan? Amazing.

Take a moment, read my comments here and you'll realize (hopefully) that all I'm looking for is the cruise lines to improve. In fact, that is all I was looking for and STATED SO in my letter to the cruise lines. In fact, you asked this question earlier in the thread and I answered it above!

Inferring that I am after a discount, and taking the "high and mighty road" that all you want is making your cruise the best possible seems pretty much like a bull crap post to me. Sorry if that last line wasn't "professional".
The faulty reasoning and somewhat less than polite language here is a perfect example of the rapidly declining quality of cruise passenger demanding that the cruise lines deliver more and better, while charging less for it.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
The faulty reasoning and somewhat less than polite language here is a perfect example of the rapidly declining quality of cruise passenger demanding that the cruise lines deliver more and better, while charging less for it.
Some people stand up for the service they pay for and attempt to improve - in a reasonable fashion - the cruise experience; others would prefer to shill for cruise lines under the guise of being noble and adopting superior attitudes - when in fact they are anything but.

Last edited by Askabry; April 18th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just my opinion, however, I have been to HMC on 3 separate occasions. I have not been impressed on any visit and, frankly, will spend my time on the ship rather than the beach. The hike to the clamshells and to the BBQ are not worth the effort, IMHO. The pool on the ship is more desirable and the service much better. Just sayin.....
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Familiar Face

True enough, S-Mom, on both counts; the bbq isn't to die for and on days like that you can dine nearly anywhere on board alone. So pleasant.

But I do love the sand and the clear water. So few beaches are that nice.
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
True enough, S-Mom, on both counts; the bbq isn't to die for and on days like that you can dine nearly anywhere on board alone. So pleasant.

But I do love the sand and the clear water. So few beaches are that nice.
I do agree on the beach, however, living in beautiful SW Florida, we have our share of wonderful beaches, so I am sort of spoiled!
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I thought I posted on this thread earlier and now it seems to have GONE WITH THE WIND so if it suddenly reappears, please do not continue reading as it is my comments originally posted.

These are my sentiments and are not meant to be offensive, so please do not be after reading them, please.

I come to Cruisemates.com to read about other peoples' experiences with cruises: past, present or yet to come. Some have great comments, have asked excellent questions, and have posted some suggestions which have helped me tremendously. Cruises should be full of fun, adventure, and relaxation. You can do as much or as little as you like on a cruise. It is your vacation, you've paid for it, and expectations are high for a great time.

When I read certain posts/threads here, I am amazed at comments made by some posters. I want to yell out to them, "Hey, people, we are not here to solve the problems of the world, cure cancer and AIDS, help Japan with their nuclear reactor problems, or handle any other such important issues. This is a site for cruising; get your priorities straight.

I personally do not find the word "crap" to be offensive. In fact, I'm extremely happy that the crapper was invented, for sure. It is, after all, a derivative of someone's last name. I can think of other more crass and harsh words, many of which I have used in my lifetime. The poster using it was probably expressing his displeasure concerning his experiences and wanted to warn/inform of us of them, should we be in the same situation.

Yes, perhaps he is unaware of HAL's employee payroll (as I am in some instances, and I am sure many others taking cruises during their lifetime), either in the airport, terminals (airport, cruise ship), off island, shore excursion, or whatever. Having said that, these are the people we use to get to our final destination and if they are not directly employees of HAL, they at least represent them, and are a stepping stone for our means reaching our ends (getting from the airport to cruise terminal to onboard). They represent HAL and so therefore, when we have an issue with them, we should go directly to the company which utilizes their services, or at least ask them how to reach the appropriate employer.

I, for one, knew that HMC was leased. I did not know that Carnival also uses that same island. I knew that some Bahamians worked there. I did not know that some lived there. For all of you providing that information, thank you, but I would not lose any sleep over not knowing the answers. They are simply not important in my life and I am not sure important in yours, either (except if you are one of them).

Don't yell, scream, point the finger, or be otherwise abusive to us not knowing this information, or just telling you of our bad experiences, in the hope of bringing them to your attention so that you don't have to go through what we have.

I have been called arrogant by one poster who misunderstood one of my posts, and have been told by another that they did not read all of my post because it was too hard to read and too lengthy and did not use paragraphs. I did not know we had to write a certain way on this site. Are there any other lists of rules and regulations which I might have missed? The point is, we will probably never ever meet each other in our real life, so why get upset? You have the option to pass over a thread or not to comment: use that option. I won't make a difference and it will not help the world's global warming and other such problems. Just what is your real priority--is it to get angry and abusive with someone who will never ever enter your realm anyway, or is it to make the world a better place?

I come from NYC and I was there on 9/11. Guess what? Some of my t's are no longer crossed, some of my i's are no longer dotted, and it really doesn't matter anyway. My priorities have changed and I now pick my battles. Getting angry or abusive with people only makes me a lower person, gets my blood pressure up, and makes me want to eat more pasta (which I would love to, but rationality overcomes irrationality in this case).

I am looking forward to more enjoyable happy posts over things which I've experienced and am happy to relive, or new facts to help me out in future cruises and case scenarios. Don't sweat this small stuff and play nice, ok?

If your intent is to call someone out in a public forum, I will repeat Mark Twain's words, "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"?

Thank you for listening to my humble opinions.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:02 PM
Familiar Face

nicely put, 2K3F.

This thread totally got out of hand. The idea was to post about how the cruise line might do something better and to simply create a thread on how reactive they are to complaints. Nothing more.

For what it's worth, Holland has yet to respond to my letter and we'll see what they say when they finally respond.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Smile

Quote:
nicely put, 2K3F.

This thread totally got out of hand. The idea was to post about how the cruise line might do something better and to simply create a thread on how reactive they are to complaints. Nothing more.

For what it's worth, Holland has yet to respond to my letter and we'll see what they say when they finally respond.
You have a personal message Askabry. Hope my sentiments/thoughts/suggestions help.
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
Some people stand up for the service they pay for and attempt to improve - in a reasonable fashion - the cruise experience; others would prefer to shill for cruise lines under the guise of being noble and adopting superior attitudes - when in fact they are anything but.

You really do toss words around rather freely.

There are no 'Shills' here.
Name calling is never a suitable way to make any respected point.
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default A response ... other posters and from Management

First of all, I'm going to respond to Sail7 ... who apparently never takes the time to read any of these posts. I can say this definitively, because you cast shots (no matter how softsell you wanted to do it) at me without reading my previous comments ... twice.

Now, you make this comment about "tossing names" ... while blithely either ignoring or simply not reading that my response was to Bruce when he referred to me as part of the "declining quality of cruise passengers". You are amazing in your consistency if nothing else.

Whenever you are ready, feel free to wake up and join the conversation. Perhaps considering a change from decaf might be in order. And please, if I'm hurting your feelings or sensibilities grow up or at least grow a pair.

But to put my last post on this thread .... I received a letter from the Special Advisor, Office of the President.

Among other comments,"We try to prevent problems and to remedy any difficulties as they arise. Your comments regarding the Captain Morgan spokesperson and lack of fresh flowers have been well noted. In light of this experience we have registered these complaints against this sailing and advised the appropriate management for their information, benefit and corrective action as necessary."

In light of things, this is probably the best response. If things change, it will be internal and not for the consumption of the client ... as it probably should be. A change in "complaints" against the sailing has it's own effect, from what I've been given to understand from employees.

At the end of the day, a comment when it happened might have had the best effect but sometimes you only realize things after time.

A warm sun and calm seas for all.
Closed Thread