Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Admiral

If I ask someone if they mind sharing a table & they say ''sorry but no thanks'' I simply respect their wishes & think nothing of it, consider they may have perfectly good reasons for wanting privacy. (OK they probably haven't!!)
I think the main reason for cruise people being nice is that to enjoy a cruise you must really enjoy mixing with other people.
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
If I ask someone if they mind sharing a table & they say ''sorry but no thanks'' I simply respect their wishes & think nothing of it, consider they may have perfectly good reasons for wanting privacy. (OK they probably haven't!!)
I think the main reason for cruise people being nice is that to enjoy a cruise you must really enjoy mixing with other people.
That's right ! If one doesn't like people then don't go on a cruise.
If a misanthrope must go on a ship, then they should stay in their room and take the room service meals on the veranda.
If one ventures into the *public* areas, then learn to be gregarious...I say.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
It is a concern that people are getting more rude. I associate etiquette with intelligence and I also associate diplomacy with intelligence.
One woulds think with all the higher technology, that people would be smarter....but they aren't. At least that don't seem to be getting any smarter.
Chair hogs are showing their lack of intellectual development.
I absolutely agree with you Thoth. But I'm really so thoroughly tired of allowing them to infringe in my personal space, I've become completely intolerant at times. Hence the back scratching with the longest finger....

I've raised 5 beautiful women with the most gracious manners.

I have a difficult time disregarding rude people. They should know their behavior is unacceptable.

Although, on vacation, especially a cruise where people aren't always moving with purpose on their way somewhere, you can often spot suspect mannerisms and dodge to the other side of the Lido deck before having to encounter them. You just have to remain somewhat vigil so as not to be surprised by them.

Old June 12th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Admiral

As I get older & form the opinion that I have seen & heard most things, most excuses, learnt there are few coincidences & found that if I meet someone & don't like them I turn out to be right, never how much I try to make allowances. Like people on these sites, those with the fanciful tales & exotic lives are almost all making it up. You probably heard the expression about cruises ...95% of the people are REALLY NICE but the other 5% are truly DREADFUL
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
It is a concern that people are getting more rude. I associate etiquette with intelligence and I also associate diplomacy with intelligence.
One woulds think with all the higher technology, that people would be smarter....but they aren't. At least that don't seem to be getting any smarter.
Chair hogs are showing their lack of intellectual development.
Uh Ohh ! Boy am I the hypocrite there !
I was speaking of how dumb some are and forgot to proof-read my own post. If I were as smart as I claim, then the post should read...
"one would think" not "woulds'
"At least THEY" not 'that'.
See I don't nothing...I mean anything.

/ticker.png">
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlingit Eagle View Post
I absolutely agree with you Thoth. But I'm really so thoroughly tired of allowing them to infringe in my personal space, I've become completely intolerant at times. Hence the back scratching with the longest finger....

I've raised 5 beautiful women with the most gracious manners.

I have a difficult time disregarding rude people. They should know their behavior is unacceptable.

Although, on vacation, especially a cruise where people aren't always moving with purpose on their way somewhere, you can often spot suspect mannerisms and dodge to the other side of the Lido deck before having to encounter them. You just have to remain somewhat vigil so as not to be surprised by them.
Oh don't feel bad. I too have my weak moments where someone will get under my skin. The way people drive !!. "get off my bumper...I'm going the posted speed limit ".
A major pet peeve is the touch which means "MOVE". In my world we say "excuse me please". Then again there are those who seem oblivious to an egress-way. I'll quietly zigzag around them.
No doubt your 5 daughters are all young ladies. That's great to hear.
Someday I fear I will become that old fogey who speaks ill of all younger people. :evil: I'm 47...not yet !

/ticker.png">
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
As I get older & form the opinion that I have seen & heard most things, most excuses, learnt there are few coincidences & found that if I meet someone & don't like them I turn out to be right, never how much I try to make allowances. Like people on these sites, those with the fanciful tales & exotic lives are almost all making it up. You probably heard the expression about cruises ...95% of the people are REALLY NICE but the other 5% are truly DREADFUL
Sometimes it seems that 5% gets most of the attention, and 95% tend to be over-looked.

/ticker.png">
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Oh don't feel bad. I too have my weak moments where someone will get under my skin. The way people drive !!. "get off my bumper...I'm going the posted speed limit ".
A major pet peeve is the touch which means "MOVE". In my world we say "excuse me please". Then again there are those who seem oblivious to an egress-way. I'll quietly zigzag around them.
No doubt your 5 daughters are all young ladies. That's great to hear.
Someday I fear I will become that old fogey who speaks ill of all younger people. :evil: I'm 47...not yet !
Thoth, I'm 47 also. I'm already the crabby old lady. Heaven help a whole lot of people if I'm ever issued a cane.!

Ohhh, the touch! Imagine being 5'3" and a woman. You not only get the touch, but they will put their hands on your shoulders while staring in the far distance over your head! Like you are a safety cone that can be rotated out of the way!!
Well, I don't know if they are young ladies when not with me. They are all over 20. I do know that they are impeccable in my presence.
It would be impossible to raise 5 girls all stepping stones and allow bad behaviors.

Old June 12th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlingit Eagle View Post
Thoth, I'm 47 also. I'm already the crabby old lady. Heaven help a whole lot of people if I'm ever issued a cane.!

Ohhh, the touch! Imagine being 5'3" and a woman. You not only get the touch, but they will put their hands on your shoulders while staring in the far distance over your head! Like you are a safety cone that can be rotated out of the way!!
Well, I don't know if they are young ladies when not with me. They are all over 20. I do know that they are impeccable in my presence.
It would be impossible to raise 5 girls all stepping stones and allow bad behaviors.
Getting a cane might be a great idea !
Ouch = my toes

/ticker.png">
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Familiar Face

Default Not all nice

Yes, for the most part, cruisers are nice people. I did encounter one person though who took the cake on being obnoxious.

We were two people behind a mother a daughter (both adults) in line waiting for the MDR to open on the first night of the cruise. Note: This was traditional dining so we all had assigned seats.

The daughter went to use the restroom. When she came back, she went and stood with her mother. The woman in back of them started screaming and yelling that she was butting in line and that both of them should go to the back. She even took her cane and hit the daughter over the shoulder with it. The daughter then told the woman not to ever touch her again. Did she listen, of course not, she again took her cane and struck the women. The daughter then lunged at her but her mother restrained her. The crew - they did nothing. We saw this obnoxious woman around the ship several times and always steered clear of her. I don't know what her problem was.