Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs down Veedam to Bermuda-May2, 2011

Everyone we talked to was incensed that they would cut 1/7 of our trip and not refund 1/7 of fare; instead $150 per person on-board credit, which is used mostly on booze for most people which cost H-A 20 cents on the dollar to offset $1 in credit.

Internet connection on board was very slow (and expensive). There were many screw-ups by H-A. We had a larger room with big balcony, but the people next to us were smokers and every time we went out, we would get all the smoke in cabin and room. Many other deficiencies, particularly the loading and unloading. We got to NYC at 12:40—boarding supposed to begin at noon. They say computers are down (total BS). 1,600 people wait to check in almost 3 hours in a disgusting terminal. They give us cookies and water, but run out of cookies. Tell us we will get more when crew is released from fire drill with coast Guard. Never came. Still not ready to board-total chaos-elevators taken up with luggage-couldn’t get to cabin. Air conditioning on our deck (the most expensive) did not work properly the whole voyage (5 degrees hotter than anywhere else on ship. Since leaving 3 hours late they up speed to where ship is rocking a lot and many people sick in cabin till Wednesday landfall. Someone said stabilizers not working.

Disembarking only slightly better- people milling in corridors, stairwell. Luggage had already been delivered to pier-another 2 hour holdup.

Drink service very slow-you go to an empty bar and drink would arrive 15 minutes later. Most annoying was the outdoor area on top deck (the pool was other side where the very few kids played) was the playing of a huge TV screen with non-stop Rave-type music video from the 1980’s (I suppose). There was no one under 50 on that side of top deck.
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Admiral

I expect to be on the Veendam in July .I hope that conditions are better.
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Unhappy One post wonder

One post.

Drive by basher.

NO COOKIES??? OMG that would ruin the whole trip for me too.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
One post.

Drive by basher.

NO COOKIES??? OMG that would ruin the whole trip for me too.
Lighten up, Mike. Maybe he just found the site or maybe that was his first cruise. I tend to like their cookies much better than their regular desserts so I would be upset as well.

Hope his next cruise is better. (Glad no one said to let him eat cake!)
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Admiral

MM needs to try some TM
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Captain

Oh my......

Welcome to Cruise Mates.
Happy you found us. Shame you didn't find us before your cruise.

Hopefully you'll remember some wonderful things about your cruise to offset the list of 'not so good'. Was it all really THAT bad?
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Sorry you didn't like your cruise!! we are taking the same cruise in 13 days . Hopefully it will go better for us!!
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
Sorry you didn't like your cruise!! we are taking the same cruise in 13 days . Hopefully it will go better for us!!
I'm sure that you'll have a great time. I understand that "Indy" the wonder dog is now on the Veendam. She and her master put on a terrific show. Don't miss it!
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom View Post
I'm sure that you'll have a great time. I understand that "Indy" the wonder dog is now on the Veendam. She and her master put on a terrific show. Don't miss it!
Ok, I give up. In all of my cruises on board HAL Dam ships, I've never encountered nor heard of Indy, the wonder dog. Pray tell who/what/why she is.

Shame I'm booked on an NCL and three Celebrity ships for my next voyages; I would have liked to see why she is a wonder! Thanks for the info.
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2katz3fsh View Post
Ok, I give up. In all of my cruises on board HAL Dam ships, I've never encountered nor heard of Indy, the wonder dog. Pray tell who/what/why she is.

Shame I'm booked on an NCL and three Celebrity ships for my next voyages; I would have liked to see why she is a wonder! Thanks for the info.

I've also never heard of Indy the wonder dog in all my years of cruising with HAL.

Skipper's Mom - is this who you mean?

Hi, I?m Indy the Magic Dog
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
I've also never heard of Indy the wonder dog in all my years of cruising with HAL.

Skipper's Mom - is this who you mean?

Hi, I?m Indy the Magic Dog
Yes, that's Indy. We saw her on the Zuiderdam last November with her human magician father, but she's really the star of the show. What a cutie and very relaxed with all the cruise guests. She also was featured on an Animal Planet episode.

I have 2 Maltese and they don't even earn their keep like Indy does.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Talking Indy the wonder dog?

Indy the wonder dog is great --

But guess what the original poster is a wonder too -- has completely vanished.

Like I said, drive by basher.

Better to talk about the dog than the original bashing.

Hooray for Indy!

Old May 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Why can't kiddies play nice and not throw sand in the sandbox?

It's a shame that verbal abuse and bullying on a public board causes new (and former) people to turn away and go elsewhere, giving them a negative view of this website and its posters. He may have provided valuable information on cruising, given time and experience. Perhaps he might even try another cruise line and enjoy his next cruise, but then again, we may never know.

As I said before, lighten up, Mike. Karma may come back and get you in the least inopportune time and place.

Chocolate chip cookies, anyone?
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Captain

It always feels like they have an 'axe to grind' when they appear, dump their complaints and then disappear.

Until proven different, that's a drive by........

IMO
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
It always feels like they have an 'axe to grind' when they appear, dump their complaints and then disappear.

Until proven different, that's a drive by........

IMO
Yes, but could it also be that they do come here, voice their complaints either to inform us or to seek our help and get turned off by comments left by regulars. Some would then ask themselves was it worth it? It is only a cruise website, for heavens sake, nothing which will solve the world's problems nor humanity, and vow to never come back because of the nastiness and then we'd all lose out on some really good info and possible friendships.

That's just IMHO and two cents worth.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Default "Drive By Basher"

You know, I didn't say anything nasty, nor anything that should have driven anybody away from this forum.

I simply pointed out a typical symptomatic "drive by bashing," in which someone hops on a board to post a litany of complaints and then does not stay around to discuss them. NO COOKIES???

IF the OP has the intention of opening up a discussion (which is what this board is all about) then he simply has to return and reply to comments made and provide valuable information in a give and take situation.

One post full of complaints does not constitute a discussion, nor does it tally up to any valuable information unless we can judge the poster's attitude and the true nature of the complaints by follow up posts.

If the OP is still around, I invite him to provide more information (like what does he mean by 1/7 of the cruise missed?) and also talk about the good things he found on the cruise, and participate in the give and take which this board encourages. THEN it will be a valuable cruise review and we can all learn something from it.

But I continue to stand in disdain of "Drive By Bashers" and ignore their posts as worthless.

But since the OP appears to be long gone, let's open up the discussion anyhow and review his ONE AND ONLY post:

Quote:
Everyone we talked to was incensed that they would cut 1/7 of our trip and not refund 1/7 of fare; instead $150 per person on-board credit, which is used mostly on booze for most people which cost H-A 20 cents on the dollar to offset $1 in credit.
Not quite clear what he means here, but I suspect the ship missed a port. This is a fairly common occurrence as the Captain's judgement of the safety of the ship is vital. $150 per person OBC is a fairly good compensation. I have seen less offered. Of course, everybody gripes, but that is the way it works.

Quote:
Internet connection on board was very slow (and expensive).
Yep, undoubtedly true. But not new or unusual.

Quote:
There were many screw-ups by H-A. We had a larger room with big balcony, but the people next to us were smokers and every time we went out, we would get all the smoke in cabin and room.
Not a screw up by HAL, but a very common problem many cruisers are unhappy with. Unfortunately it is still the policy on most cruise lines.

Quote:
Many other deficiencies, particularly the loading and unloading. We got to NYC at 12:40—boarding supposed to begin at noon. They say computers are down (total BS). 1,600 people wait to check in almost 3 hours in a disgusting terminal. They give us cookies and water, but run out of cookies. Tell us we will get more when crew is released from fire drill with coast Guard. Never came. Still not ready to board-total chaos-elevators taken up with luggage-couldn’t get to cabin.
Not fun, but it happens. It happened to us a year or so ago on a Travel Agent Fam (familiarization) trip on NCL. Hundreds and hundreds of people waiting on the floor for several hours, and all of them Travel Agents!! Now if you want some fine and fancy complaining that was it! We didn't get COOKIES either! There are always some elevators being used for luggage and elevators at embarkation are always crowded. Not a "screw-up by HAL," just a fairly common occurrence.

Quote:
Air conditioning on our deck (the most expensive) did not work properly the whole voyage (5 degrees hotter than anywhere else on ship.
Now that would bother me! I like my cabin COLD. The poster does not note whether he brought this to the attention of housekeeping and what response he got.

Quote:
Since leaving 3 hours late they up speed to where ship is rocking a lot and many people sick in cabin till Wednesday landfall. Someone said stabilizers not working.
What, a ship rocked and people got seasick? Never heard of such a thing at sea in all my born days! (OK, that was a nasty remark. Because it is such a stupid complaint.) Rough seas are part of the equation of cruising, an act of God not a "screwup by HAL." And then "somebody said" the stabilizers were not working. If I went by all the stuff "somebody said" on board a ship my head would be spinning by now.

Quote:
Disembarking only slightly better- people milling in corridors, stairwell. Luggage had already been delivered to pier-another 2 hour holdup.
Standard situation. Despite repeated announcements not to sit in the stairway it happens every trip. 2 hours to disembark is pretty good in my experience.

Quote:
Drink service very slow-you go to an empty bar and drink would arrive 15 minutes later.
Bar service is strange -- sometimes it is prompt, sometimes slow. Same thing happens ashore. So?

Quote:
Most annoying was the outdoor area on top deck (the pool was other side where the very few kids played) was the playing of a huge TV screen with non-stop Rave-type music video from the 1980’s (I suppose). There was no one under 50 on that side of top deck.
Well, now that was the "most annoying" thing on the cruise? If that really was the "most annoying," then it seems to me you actually had a pretty good cruise. (Giant TV on HAL? Don't remember that...)

Ok, if the OP was trying to inform us or ask questions, there is the chance. Come on back and respond to what I said. It appears to me that he was pretty uninformed about what to expect, got ticked off by the delay at embarkation and then was in a mood to find fault with every little incident on the ship.

Bet he doesn't respond...

Old May 18th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I guess, Mike, that I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt that they will continue to post here, explaining their problems or adding new info to help the rest of us out. Everyone here is a newby at one time or another and we all vocalize differently, especially initially. Hopefully, this poster will come back (although I'm not betting with you, just in case!) and explain a little more about his particular situation.

Yes, I have had problems on some of my cruises as well, and the ones which were major ones were taken up before I even left the ship. I had cruises not going to a particular port and I don't recall ever being reimbursed for that day missed. In fact, I was happy as a pig in sheet because it meant it was another sea day and not liking that port anyway, I was thrilled so I did not care about missing the port nor not being reimbursed.

Yes, I have waited for bar service, but just where was I going anyway? Did I have a schedule to adhere to? Heck no, I was on vacation. The slower the drinks came, the more sober I was (to enjoy more drinks...).

Large TV screens? Never seen one on any ship and I've stayed in expensive cabins. Who really watches TV on a cruise anyway, except when you are unpacking or dressing for dinner?

Outside too noisy? Consult your deck plans before you make cabin arrangements. Make sure you're not sleeping on top of a noisy public room, nor underneath one.

Smoking people next door? Well, I've had them as well as I am sure many of us have. They may complain about us throwing confetti when we leave--it's their cruise as well as ours and they are outside...

Sea sick? Alot of times I get sea sick. I just look at it this way: when I lose some part of my meals, it means I can eat twice as much, or lose weight by doing so. Works for me!

AC not working or working too hard: Hub got Klebsiella pneumonia from one on board the Leeward. Not a nice illness, but he survived. Lesson learned: do not sleep directly under the ac vent which is turned up high.

Run out of cookies: yep, it happens, but look at the number of times this has happened as opposed to all of the food which is available when you get on board. You can make up for it there.

I like your reasoning and dissection of the original poster's thoughts. Your comments, for the most part, were spot on and most of us who cruise have experienced them some time or another.

Having said that, want to join me up in the Lido at 12:30 for some macadamian nut or oatmeal raisin cookies? I'll treat for the drinks...
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Mike needs to do some TM ,it works wonders.
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Talking I'll be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2katz3fsh View Post

Having said that, want to join me up in the Lido at 12:30 for some macadamian nut or oatmeal raisin cookies? I'll treat for the drinks...
Great offer. I prefer peanut butter cookies, though.

That is, providing the air conditioner is working, and the big TV is quiet, and there aren't people sitting on the stairs, and the bar service is fast, and nobody is smoking outside the lounge! The OBC we get for missing the last port might cover the cost of the drinks!

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Question TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Mike needs to do some TM ,it works wonders.
So -- I make a post which doesn't address everything in the OP, and I need to do TM.

I make a post which DOES address everything in the OP, and I need to do TM.

Buddhist quotation: "If the 'I' ceases to exist, who will sweep the temple floor?"

'Scuse me, I am too busy to post, I am meditating ..... OMMMMMMMMMMM

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Great offer. I prefer peanut butter cookies, though.

That is, providing the air conditioner is working, and the big TV is quiet, and there aren't people sitting on the stairs, and the bar service is fast, and nobody is smoking outside the lounge! The OBC we get for missing the last port might cover the cost of the drinks!

You are too funny! Regardless of whose paying, belly up to the bar boy, and let's line them up! Salute/Cheers/A votre Sante/To Your Health!!!!
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Default TM

Quote:
So -- I make a post which doesn't address everything in the OP, and I need to do TM.

I make a post which DOES address everything in the OP, and I need to do TM.

Buddhist quotation: "If the 'I' ceases to exist, who will sweep the temple floor?"

'Scuse me, I am too busy to post, I am meditating .....

OMMMMMMMMMMM
TM is wonderful.I did it for many years .In fact I plan to resume doing it.
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Henry and Mike: talking about TM and Buddha reminded me of an old joke.
What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor?
Make me one with everything!

(sorry if you did not like it, but did it make you hungry?)
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Admiral

I vividly recall the Mahareshi coming to NY and everyone seemingly was trying TM along with brownies .
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Probably the brownies made them feel much better than the TM as there were secret ingredients! Hm, I think I'd stick with my hot dogs instead. Ohmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Admiral

The brownies were delicious
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just want to say one thing...

We don't have any rules that say you have to be positive all the time, nor do we have a minimum number of required posts.

Now, I thought like the poster sounded a bit misinformed about the cruise industry. In fact if there was a Coast Guard required fire drill the morning they were embarking that is NOT Holland America's fault. That is something the government requires for the safety of people like the OP.

However, Holland America did just start publicly boasting that their guests can get in their staterooms by 12:00 noon, fully available. Sounds like they missed the mark on that day (although not their fault, it is understandable that a novice might complain).

Finally - disembarkation days are always not fun. There are always people in the hallways waiting to get off, etc.

So, basically the OP was complaining about things that HAL had little control over, or are normal on every cruise. Plus HAL gave some compensation, a $100 credit is a pretty decent one.

But I want to say to the people talking about "drive-by posters". His one post was at least about cruising, but the follow-up to it has been completely off-topic. Maybe he would have come back (maybe not), but if you found his post objectionable, think about all the other people looking for cruise information that had to waddle through all the off-topic banter that followed.

My point is that "drive-by" posting is not a crime. If you have objections to what he said about cruising state them, but don't call the OP names and completely dismiss his point of view solely based on the number of posts he leaves. He didn't break any rules.

Just a thought.

Old May 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Paul, I agree,the jump on this poster mentality, because this is his first post, is just not fair. For all we know they have been lurkers for years,and had a bad experience, then he came here to vent. Who hasn't at one time or another, but his vent was his first post...so what...

This attitude could scare away others from sharing information that could possibly help someone else....the bad and ugly, needs to be told, along with the good.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 31st, 2011, 05:35 AM
Admiral

I love cruising and generally I am a fan of the cruise industry.

But I respect other people opinions. If this person was not happy with his cruise he has the right to tell us about it.

Not all comments about cruises are going to be positive.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Question What about drive by boosters?

HMMMM ---

Do you look kindly on somebody who jumps on the board, makes one single post boosting a particular tour guide, and then never returns? Or do you suspect the post is not very believable?

Credibility is a valid issue in Judge Judy's courtroom. On this board we can only judge credibility by what we see and read.

Sauce for the goose ...