Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default 1st cruise 8-28 HAL Veendam

Hey Everyone,
1st cruise on 8-28. Getting a little nervous about the service on the ship after reading a few negative posts. I wonder if I chose the wrong line. It was a last minute choice but I had read good things about Hal and the rep seemed so convincing. I am going to try to keep a positive attitude about it! Anyone have 1st time tips for me? What about sea sickness?? That scares me too. Anyone been on this ship recently? What about the Lanai cabins? Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Default Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeans View Post
Hey Everyone,
1st cruise on 8-28. Getting a little nervous about the service on the ship after reading a few negative posts. I wonder if I chose the wrong line. It was a last minute choice but I had read good things about Hal and the rep seemed so convincing. I am going to try to keep a positive attitude about it! Anyone have 1st time tips for me? What about sea sickness?? That scares me too. Anyone been on this ship recently? What about the Lanai cabins? Thanks for any info.
We have been on HAL in 2008 ,2010 and 2 weeks ago.On our last cruise we had a Lanai cabin and it was fantastic .In the future we will always try for a Lanai .
Everything was great on this HAL cruise .Minimal seasickness .

WE LOVE HAL
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up HAL is one of our favorites

HAL is one of our favorite lines. You have to remember that any ship and any line will have a few disgruntled passengers and they are very vocal. I remember one poster who criticized the whole dining room experience because the ketchup was in a bottle and not in a silver bowl.

I think you will have a wonderful cruise on HAL and find the dining room to be excellent. The dining stewards are Indonesian, and on rare occasions there will be a slight language problem or a bit of a lack of training. If you feel the service or food is ever lacking, just a word to the Headwaiter will always result in huge efforts to correct it.

Seasickness is a very personal thing. My DW gets seasick frequently, I never do. However, the Alaska cruises in the Inside Passage have a reputation for normally being pretty smooth and seasickness is much less common on them.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Hi kbeans, please don't read to much into previous cruise reports, every ship and every cruise will be different.

The reports are always from passengers experiences 'on the day' and of course we don't have the full picture - maybe they had had a large turnover of crew & had lots of trainees on board for our cruise, or maybe the change to other nationalities working on board wasn't as smooth as HAL had expected. Also HAL might not be too bothered with the British market, so you may find your cruise totally different.

I do strongly disagree with MercedMike's comments that "disgruntled passengers are very vocal", that is certainly not my experience from UK cruising, where we normally just winge & moan quietly amongst ourselves.
But when we see or hear a "discussion" to which we can contribute we feel it is only right to do so.

As for the entertainment, we have been brought up with the expectation that US entertainment was far more glitzy & high powered than UK entertaniment, so that may be our mis-perception and you will find the whole experience mind-blowing.

As for sea-sickness, we were at the very front of the ship (H302) and despite some heavy seas on the first day we didn't even realise that the ship was moving around until we looked out of the window.

Don't worry, you will have a great time. If you do have one bad experiecence, please don't dwell on it & expect repeat problems or you won't be able to enjoy all the great points about cruisng and the ports of call.

btw check out if the Veendam has Happy hours in the Crows Nest & central bar - buy a second drink of the same style for $1 plus the usual 15%

Remember to let us all know how you enjoyed yourselves & detail the highlights upon your return.

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Talking Thanks, my spirits are lifted!

I was starting to get nervous but all the replies I received got me up and hyped again! I am excited to take this venture, and I am keeping a positive attitude and looking forward to a well deserved vacation. Thanks again people. I will let you know how it goes and if I have anymore questions I will post them again.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Irene puts a damper on Veendam 8-28 NYC

Now this hurricane has affected the cruise. We are leaving the following day if permitted. We're allowed to board on Sunday, but honestly who wants to be on the ship during a hurricane,even if it is docked!I was so hyped and now:evil: I will stay at my apartment until Monday morning. Luckily I live in close proximity to the pier.