Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
Beg to differ with you on the hotel comparison.... "Most hotels/motels" DO REQUIRE a c.card imprint for incidentals.....
I stay in hotels over 200 nights per year, your experiences may differ, I say no thank you, I will not need my credit card on file for incidentals. (I am in a hotel right now)
Old September 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Admiral

I think cruises are different to going to a sports event, you are on a cruise for maybe a couple of weeks & spending most of your time on the ship, they don't take cash so you have to charge everything, as you have to charge everything it makes sense to ensure the customer has sufficient funds come the end of the cruise. If you choose not to allow the hotel to take an "imprint" they you pay cash presumably, I have NEVER stayed in a hotel that did not require something if you were going to spend money there. I would be interested to know which cruise lines your 8 cruises were on that did not require any cash up front nor a CC "imprint".
Old September 24th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Beg to differ with you on the hotel comparison.... "Most hotels/motels" DO REQUIRE a c.card imprint for incidentals.....
Major chains also put a hold. Happened once, they didn't remove it at check out even when the bill was paid. Found out when we were buying theme park tickets and got rejected for insufficient funds. That was fun
Old September 25th, 2011, 01:48 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by commission1 View Post
Well I have been very fortunate and this is our 9th cruise, first with HAL. I never had a hold placed before. I went to the website to change my preference to cash, thinking I could out smart them, (then at the end of the cruise say oh i have no cash but here is my credit card) but then the website said I would have to bring 1680 in cash for deposit at the time of embarkation.

We all have our own pet peeves, I am not happy about this. We dont spend that much money on board anyway but this time I will not even buy the pictures.

You want to put a hold my account HAL, ok I wont spend any money on your cruise ship. I bet if we all did this, that hold policy will change pretty quick.

Actually what I am going to try to do when we get onboard at check in, is tell them we dont want any charging priviledges on our room keys, that way in theory a hold would not be necessary.
All the mass market cruise lines have been forced to institute this credit hold system.
We are not doing it to upset people, nor to make extra work for ourselves. We are doing it out of financial necessity.

The number of passengers who cannot pay their bill at the end of the cruise has been growing very rapidly. It seems that many people take a cruise, knowing very well that they cannot afford it. On the final day, they suddenly find themselves unable to cover their bill. The cruise line cannot legally hold them onboard until they pay. Once down the gangway, it becomes too expensive and time consuming to chase them down. Local police refuse to get involved.

The cruise lines took a mass market industry average - currently $60 per person per day as an average amount spent by you. That is the hold we place on your credit line. If you are an average cruiser, the credit hold and your final bill will be nearly identical.

With the US economy getting worse by the day, even the credit hold has not been very successful. There are too many deadbeats figuring ways to play the system, refusing to give method of payment, switching multiple bogus credit cards, "disappearing" for several days onboard, etc.
Currently - even with the credit hold system in place - we are seeing between 10% and 15% of American passengers unable to pay their bills at the end of the cruise. Instead, they sign a promissory note, claiming they will pay us "sometime in the future".
What do you think the odds are of that happening?

The bills will get paid. By you - in the form of higher cruise fares.

If you are not a deadbeat, you should actually be happy about this credit hold. In the end it costs you nothing more than what you spent onboard - and it keeps your future cruise fares down.
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Opinions

Quote:
I come from a culture where your word is your bond, period. I just paid for a 14 day cruise a few weeks before departure in full, I am good for it, 1680 is way over the top. You know, no use to rehash, it is what it is

Again other opinions may very, that is cool
Yes, everybody has their own opinions. That is indeed cool, and it is cool that we can express them on this board without anyone taking offense at seeing different opinions than their own. Thanks for expressing yours.

Sadly, the idea that your word is your bond has become very rare in the world today. Also sadly, the idea that you should be a good financial manager and use your credit card wisely is becoming more and more rare. Businesses have to protect themselves not only against dishonesty but also against financial mismanagement.

I was for a long time in a high end retail business. It was not at all unusual to sell something for say, $2000, and have the customer pull out 5 credit cards and say, "I have $300 available on this one, and $600 on this one, and $200 on this one ..."

This is why ALL cruise lines that I know of, and most hotels, and even gas stations, do indeed put a hold on cards. Next time you pump gas look for a little notice someplace on the pump.

Honestly, it seems that the OPs only problem with the situation is the amount the cruise line chooses to hold. He would be Ok with $700 but not with $1700? I actually imagine that the average on board bill for a couple for a week is closer to the latter figure. In any case, it is the way business is done these days. If you want to have an open on board account, then in one way or another you have to guarantee payment. Sadly telling the cruise line that "Your word is your bond" does not produce anything they can take to the bank.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
All the mass market cruise lines have been forced to institute this credit hold system.
We are not doing it to upset people, nor to make extra work for ourselves. We are doing it out of financial necessity.

The number of passengers who cannot pay their bill at the end of the cruise has been growing very rapidly. It seems that many people take a cruise, knowing very well that they cannot afford it. On the final day, they suddenly find themselves unable to cover their bill. The cruise line cannot legally hold them onboard until they pay. Once down the gangway, it becomes too expensive and time consuming to chase them down. Local police refuse to get involved.

The cruise lines took a mass market industry average - currently $60 per person per day as an average amount spent by you. That is the hold we place on your credit line. If you are an average cruiser, the credit hold and your final bill will be nearly identical.

With the US economy getting worse by the day, even the credit hold has not been very successful. There are too many deadbeats figuring ways to play the system, refusing to give method of payment, switching multiple bogus credit cards, "disappearing" for several days onboard, etc.
Currently - even with the credit hold system in place - we are seeing between 10% and 15% of American passengers unable to pay their bills at the end of the cruise. Instead, they sign a promissory note, claiming they will pay us "sometime in the future".
What do you think the odds are of that happening?

The bills will get paid. By you - in the form of higher cruise fares.

If you are not a deadbeat, you should actually be happy about this credit hold. In the end it costs you nothing more than what you spent onboard - and it keeps your future cruise fares down.
Just at thought which might minimise unpaid bills - invite guests to settle their a/cs on a weekly basis?

I have been asked to do that on business trips in India - no issue for me.

Annie
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Mike,
The op's cruise is also 14 days, so that would make the $700 double....Yes, it is high, but I wonder what the average 2 week expense for most cruisers?

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 25th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Mike,
The op's cruise is also 14 days, so that would make the $700 double....Yes, it is high, but I wonder what the average 2 week expense for most cruisers?
Of course, that's individual. Myself, I'm a cheapo, but gotta have a DOD for the thrill of it. Will only purchase those expensive pics if they come out good (and that's rare). Gotta have that ship souvenier (for me that's a coffee cup @$10) Next cruise will include a behind the Fun excursion (gotta try it) .
According to OP, he'll spend $0 thinking he'll punish Hal. Of course, Hal could care less! He's only 1 passenger.
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Cool

We usually spend about $40 person per day over and above the grayuity.
I always buy OBC to amount I think thay we will spent.

Most hotels now get a pre authorization ( Credit hold) on your credit to the expected amount of the room charge for the expected length of your stay,

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Familiar Face

I will spend nothing, only tips (FOR SERVICES THAT I USED ONLY) I will scan my final bill on here when I get back. Also at check in I will ask that our cards do not have charging privledges, that way maybe they wont put the hold on, but I doubt it there is a sinister reason for this hold i am positive they are making money off of it.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Familiar Face

[QUOTE=johnthed0g;1394086]I think cruises are different to going to a sports event, you are on a cruise for maybe a couple of weeks & spending most of your time on the ship, they don't take cash so you have to charge everything, as you have to charge everything it makes sense to ensure the customer has sufficient funds come the end of the cruise. If you choose not to allow the hotel to take an "imprint" they you pay cash presumably, I have NEVER stayed in a hotel that did not require something if you were going to spend money there.

I would be interested to know which cruise lines your 8 cruises were on that did not require any cash up front nor a CC "imprint".[/QUOTE]

I never said any of my cruises did not request a credit card. This topic is about the hold, now that has been made very clear (dont know how there still could be confusion about that)

Last cruise was transatlantic 14 days on Royal Caribbean in May 2011, Before that was 7 day Celebrity Carribbean dec 2010, before that 6 NCL (boy I thought NCL was great before I went on CEL and ROY) Now NCL is a last resort.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Cool

Quote:
I will spend nothing, only tips (FOR SERVICES THAT I USED ONLY) I will scan my final bill on here when I get back. Also at check in I will ask that our cards do not have charging privledges, that way maybe they wont put the hold on, but I doubt it there is a sinister reason for this hold i am positive they are making money off of it.
Thet aren't making any money of the hold . A "HOLD" is away that the
Credit Card company guarantees the cruise line that money will be avaiable
at the end of the cruise. Charge privileges aren't removal from your card.
Nobody on board takes or handles cash except the customer services desk.
So how are you going to pay for the gratuities anything else your going to buy?

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer View Post
Thet aren't making any money of the hold . A "HOLD" is away that the
Credit Card company guarantees the cruise line that money will be avaiable
at the end of the cruise. Charge privileges aren't removal from your card.
Nobody on board takes or handles cash except the customer services desk.
So how are you going to pay for the gratuities anything else your going to buy?
I am not going to buy anything, I already paid for an all inclusive I dont need to buy anything else, I will prepay gratuities, then tell them I dont want charging priviledges on the room keys. In theory if what HAL is saying is true then there would be no reason to place the hold, I dont want a 1680 hold on my account. Dont know why this would be a problem with HAL, but we will see. I will let everyone know
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Admiral

"All Inclusive" I have heard some UK ships do it but not HAL....
On the "Hold" thing do you think that they all do it but only HAL have actually said so?.....by the way never use a debit card, any "Hold" they put on that is YOUR money!!
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
On the "Hold" thing do you think that they all do it but only HAL have actually said so?.....by the way never use a debit card, any "Hold" they put on that is YOUR money!!
No this type of hold never occured before, maybe since may of 2011 all cruiselines changed their policies?, I dont know. (actually for the royal cruise they never even had our credit card number, we purchased through a travel agent site, boarded the vessel in a port which was not the embarkation port, our keys were ready and brought to us before we boarded the ship in Saint Maarten, they took our pictures as we boarded the ship)

I mean all inclusve through the cruise fare, I have paid for food, shelter, entertainment. We will bring some wine onboard, we wont go to specialty restaurants, nor buy excursions, nor buy alochol onboard. So everything that we need is paid for.

Last edited by commission1; September 27th, 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Well, each to their own I suppose, I can't imagine going on a cruise & spending nothing at all on the ship, we tend to average out at about 100 a day for two of us & we have a bloody good time too.
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Well, each to their own I suppose, I can't imagine going on a cruise & spending nothing at all on the ship, we tend to average out at about 100 a day for two of us & we have a bloody good time too.
I agree JTD.

Annie
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've been cruising with HAL since 2008 and they have always asked for a credit card either when filling out cruise docs online and then at embarkation. I also remember this same procedure on Carnival, RCCL and NCL since at least 2002. I've never considered it a problem. I cannot imagine going on a cruise and not spending anything on extras. Seems like a spartan way to enjoy a vacation. To each his own, I suppose.
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Admiral

I too have always been asked for credit card info prior to cruising, then again before boarding the ship, they will ask to see credit card...It has been like this it seems forever, never cruised without them asking for this info. They have to have some way to ensure that your onboard expenses will be covered..

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Notification

Quote:
No this type of hold never occured before, maybe since may of 2011 all cruiselines changed their policies?
I think that what has changed is the policy of notifying customers of the hold being placed! I am pretty sure they have been doing it all along. They are just being more upfront about telling you about it!

I would say that your plan to prepay gratuities and then ask that your card not be activated for charges is probably going to add half an hour to an hour to your check in time while the temporary part time staff at the check-in try to figure out whether they can do that.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Admiral

OMG, is this thread going to stop

This guy is on his OWN AGENDA, plans to beat the system somehow while spending nothing. Nothing WE say, makes any sense to him. Don't know if it's stubbornness (I have an ex like that) or naiive.
I agree, the hold is large, but maybe it's been large before and he didn't know it if he has unlimited credit!
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Or possibly, he doesn't have enough credit to cover the hold? That is a large amount, and I think the previous poster is right, they have been doing it all along and we just didn't know it At the end of the cruise, you get a printout of your onboard charges, and that amount gets charged to your card..

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
OMG, is this thread going to stop

This guy is on his OWN AGENDA, plans to beat the system somehow while spending nothing. Nothing WE say, makes any sense to him. Don't know if it's stubbornness (I have an ex like that) or naiive.
I agree, the hold is large, but maybe it's been large before and he didn't know it if he has unlimited credit!
Ruth I agree but Donna may be correct - his credit limit may not permit such a large hold. As MercedMike says, I am sure HAL are just beiing upfront.

That all said and done, I would not like to be his other half - imagine going on vacation for 2 weeks and spending zilch. I have seen it done but it would not be my kind of vacation. BTW I can be Scrooge or splurge with the best of them.

If he has the insurance 'cancel for any reason' - IMHO he should cancel rather being miserable penny pinching for 2 weeks - it is meant to be a vacation. Or get an additional cc which is used only for vacation expenses.

Annie
Old September 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Ruth I agree but Donna may be correct - his credit limit may not permit such a large hold. As MercedMike says, I am sure HAL are just beiing upfront.

That all said and done, I would not like to be his other half - imagine going on vacation for 2 weeks and spending zilch. I have seen it done but it would not be my kind of vacation. BTW I can be Scrooge or splurge with the best of them.

If he has the insurance 'cancel for any reason' - IMHO he should cancel rather being miserable penny pinching for 2 weeks - it is meant to be a vacation. Or get an additional cc which is used only for vacation expenses.

Annie
Thought about "the other half" too, poor thing. "But dear, I want a drink" "No, I said we aren't spending any money", "But, dear, I'd like....." "no, not spending any money"......
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thought about "the other half" too, poor thing. "But dear, I want a drink" "No, I said we aren't spending any money", "But, dear, I'd like....." "no, not spending any money"......
Of course other half may have own credit card I should not have assumed they are financially dependent upon OP.

Annie
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Of course other half may have own credit card I should not have assumed they are financially dependent upon OP.

Annie
True. But if she's secure, and wants charges, won't she have the hold put on that card?
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Doesn't sound the type to allow "the little woman" financial independence..."YOU WANT A WHAT??!!"
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
True. But if she's secure, and wants charges, won't she have the hold put on that card?
Yeah - but if she is financially savvy and has a degree of independence - she'll realise that and that probably won't be an issue for her- OP may not even be a 2nd cardholder on that account.

I hope she is savvy enough to have her own secret stash of dosh - most Scotswomen do BTW

Remember OP must have some hidden talents to compensate - I hope.

Annie
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

drama...drama...drama...... let this thread R.I.P.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
drama...drama...drama...... let this thread R.I.P.
I agree - I was just trying to inject some humour.

Annie