Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
drama...drama...drama...... let this thread R.I.P.
To all posters.......DRUM ROLL!!!!
Let's agree to NOT post any more, just grit our teeth and keep our fingers OFF the keyboard!!

I know someone will try to resurrect it, but let's NOT participate!
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
To all posters.......DRUM ROLL!!!!
Let's agree to NOT post any more, just grit our teeth and keep our fingers OFF the keyboard!!

I know someone will try to resurrect it, but let's NOT participate!
I just clicked into this thread and find it interesting. As I was reading, everything I was planning on posting got posted by others. Can't think of additional twists, but maybe others can.

If you are bored w/this thread than don't write or click on, others may still find it interesting. Do you think this is more boring than the....."today is Wednesday", "today is Thursday", "2 word games", etc.

You don't have to read everything, try being more choosy w/ what you click onto, as I do.

O F C'er
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
OMG, is this thread going to stop

This guy is on his OWN AGENDA, plans to beat the system somehow while spending nothing. Nothing WE say, makes any sense to him. Don't know if it's stubbornness (I have an ex like that) or naiive.
I agree, the hold is large, but maybe it's been large before and he didn't know it if he has unlimited credit!
Many of these posts where somebody starts out with an agenda can nevertheless be informative and worthwhile. Although some people on this thread are trying to address the OP and somehow convince him that his rant is misplaced, others are providing information of all sorts of interesting types about cruise ship practices.

I say let her rip!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Familiar Face

The original post was about an unreasonable hold that is going to be placed on my account.

I am shocked by some of the off topic inferences, sexist comments, etc. My wife does whatever she wants, I certainly would never even think I could ever tell anyone what to do in relationship, nor would I want to (however it does say something about the mindset of the poster who made the inference)

To some this panama cruise, or any cruise is a trip of a lifetime, they have to scrimp and save, unneccesary holds do not help some fellow cruisers.

As stated Royal and Celebrity do not place holds, so folks who posted to such are way off base. To verify I called Royal (spoke to Sophia), called Celebrity (spoke to Melissa)

We are truly blessed in the last 5 years, well this will be our ninth cruise, in addition in the last five years we have been to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Denali, Parks in Utah, Volcano's National park, Hawaii twice, Venice, Athens, Ireland, Santorini, Madrid, etc.. all on separate trips, those trips were also in the last five years. We are able to do this because of the way we handle our disposable income. I will say, yes we do spend much less, probably a third to a half of what others spend. (PM for the amount we paid for this HAL cruise) Yes what a horrible penny pinching existence we lead.

I now understand that this hold is a HAL issue, not gonna say I will never travel with them again, I just go for the best over value, but will pay a little more to a cruiseline that does not place a hold, because that adds value to the overall experience. I certainly am not going to pay for any service I do not receive. Now perhaps I will open a new thread for that, I am not sure if even one poster will agree with my position on that topic. Remember I will only pay for services that I receive.

Last edited by commission1; September 30th, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Check out questions for booked guests

Hi,

I'm booked on a cruise on Holland America leaving Dec. 31 for the Eastern Carribean.

I was taken about about the hold on the credit card, but if you are a booked guest somewhere on their Holland America.com site there is a place where you can ask a question.

So I asked them to explain it to me....game them my e-mail and (they say it won't be an immediate answer) and in a couple of days had a nice long e-mail explaing it all. At the end of the cruise they charge you credit card for only what you actually spent on the cruise. I'm certainly not planning to spend $60.00 a day!

I would certainly suggest you find the "questions for booked guests" and have them explain it.

Have a fun cruise!

Betsy Roy
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Find the "questions for booked guests" and ask them to explain the hold on your credit card. It took a few days to hear back, but I got a good long explanation about it all.

Betsy Roy
Cruising to Eastern Carribean on Holland America on Dec. 31
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Question Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Roy View Post
Hi,

I'm booked on a cruise on Holland America leaving Dec. 31 for the Eastern Carribean.

I was taken about about the hold on the credit card, but if you are a booked guest somewhere on their Holland America.com site there is a place where you can ask a question.

So I asked them to explain it to me....game them my e-mail and (they say it won't be an immediate answer) and in a couple of days had a nice long e-mail explaing it all. At the end of the cruise they charge you credit card for only what you actually spent on the cruise. I'm certainly not planning to spend $60.00 a day!

I would certainly suggest you find the "questions for booked guests" and have them explain it.

Have a fun cruise!

Betsy Roy
OMG so it shows up again ...

I don't believe that the OP was under the impression that they were actually charging his credit card. I am pretty sure he understood the concept of a "hold" and that was what he objected to.

Certainly at the end of the cruise they only charge what you actually ran up on your bill. BUT for the duration of the "hold" you do not have access to your credit in that amount and that was his problem. I think.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html