Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Default Ship Opinion

This is a question to all avid HAL cruisers. What is your favorite HAL ship and what is it that makes it your favorite from the other HAL ships you cruised on. Looking at cruises for 2013 and wanted to learn more about HAL.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Admiral

My favorite is the Zuiderdam .Even though there are so many negative reviews on the dozen cruise boards on line ,I loved it .The food was great as was the service .
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:46 AM
First Mate

This is a hard one to answer; I think my favorite ship is whichever one I'm going to be on, next! Having said that, though, I like the size of the Veendam and Zaandam group of ships. They're big enough to give a real cruising experience and yet I have never felt crowded anywhere on them. In fact, I'm always surprised at how often I ride on an elevator completely alone. And they have self-service laundries, which are convenient although I don't normally use them unless something really needs a quick pressing. I've only been on the larger Eurodam once, and don't care for it's layout as much. The Tamarind restaurant is great, though.
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Talking Favorite

Well, I really don't know that we could be said to have a favorite. The Westerdam class ships (Noordam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam and Westerdam) are essentially twins and are large beautiful ships with all the bells and whistles. They mostly stay on the major itineraries, Alaska and the Caribbean. The smaller ships like Veendam, Maasdam and Volendam have a nice friendly feel and do some very interesting itineraries. We just returned from Indonesia on Volendam. Prinsendam is a small but lovely ship and does some really great itineraries. We cruised the Black Sea on her. All the ships have that wonderful HAL ambiance and service.

So basically I would say don't choose by ship, choose by itinerary.

For a lot of reports on different HAL ships check out our trip reports and pictures at Cruising with the Halls

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

My favourite so far is the Ryndam, I think it the perfect size. everything is near you. it has the perfect layout.
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi,

I like Zuiderdam just like Henry43.It has a very good service.

Thanks
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Captain

Noordam and Maasdam are our favorites. We are very attached to both.
Next would be Eurodam but we sail Nieuw Amsterdam soon and we expect to really like that ship, as well.

We have sailed all but two of the HAL ships, most multiple times. There are none we don't like but the ones I named are our favorites.
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:51 PM
First Mate

One more comment, since I know you also asked for info on other cruise lines. Reading on one of the other threads, I was astonished to see people saying how nice a suite was, because you got a bathtub instead of a dinky tubular shower and a sofa instead of a tub chair.

I think ALL of the HAL outside cabins, and most of the inside ones as well, have both a tub and a sofa. Certainly all but one that I've been in, and that was a lowest-passenger deck inside, many years ago.
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Admiral

In the suites they have a shower and a tub .
Old October 29th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Captain

Deluxe Veranda Suites on "S" and "R" Class ships have tub/shower combination.

Signature ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam), have tub/shower combination as well as a glass stall shower.
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default HAL favourite ship

We have sailed on Veendam several times and liked it very much- no negatives at all. The size and ambience is relaxing. We just returned from a trans=Pacific 25 day cruise on Zaandam which was outstanding. Much the same ship , just a tad bigger. For us the great difference was the open larger piano bar -great venue.
Our one cruise on Noordam was good but we found the ship felt much more crowded than the V and Z. Although it's newer, the cabin was smaller and the layout of the buffet did not accomodate the number of passengers well. It always felt crowded.
We have found the food and service to be equally good on all the ships.
Hope this helps.
Old February 18th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We have been on the Maasdam, Statendam, Ryndam, Eurodam and this Sept. the Noordam. Our 1st cruise experience was on the Maasdam back in 2002, and that was a truly incredible experience for us. The Eurodam is a much newer ship, but we still like the Maasdam the best. We will be looking forward to our 20 day Mediterranean cruise this Sept. on the Noordam.
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Familiar Face

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Well, I really don't know that we could be said to have a favorite. The Westerdam class ships (Noordam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam and Westerdam) are essentially twins and are large beautiful ships with all the bells and whistles. They mostly stay on the major itineraries, Alaska and the Caribbean. The smaller ships like Veendam, Maasdam and Volendam have a nice friendly feel and do some very interesting itineraries. We just returned from Indonesia on Volendam. Prinsendam is a small but lovely ship and does some really great itineraries. We cruised the Black Sea on her. All the ships have that wonderful HAL ambiance and service.

So basically I would say don't choose by ship, choose by itinerary.

For a lot of reports on different HAL ships check out our trip reports and pictures at Cruising with the Halls
Actually, these are 'Vista Class' ships!
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default PM ship

I think Sonia would not opt for PM ship- what are your opinion?

***Edited to remove commercial reference***

Last edited by Donna; March 6th, 2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: removed hyper link
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

I've been on all but one of the S-class ships, all of the R class ships, all of the Vistas, as well as the Eurodam and the Prinsendam (i.e., the only ships I'm now lacking are the Veendam and the current Signature-class Nieuw Amsterdam.) Of the ships I've cruised aboard, I adore the Prinsendam the most. It's really hard to beat her amazing size, her decor, her crew, and the deck lay-out. I would cruise on her a lot more than I have if she would do some shorter cruises (i.e., more cruises less than a month+ in length).

My favorite R-class ships is the Amsterdam. Her internal decor is just perfect, and I really prefer the R-class ship's internal deck configuration over that found on the other ships in the fleet. My favorite cabins on the R and S class ships are the inside Js, found on the Lower Promenade Deck. The value for the money in terms of cabin size and location, with their close proximity to the outside world, simply cannot be beaten.

My favorite Vista ship is the Noordam. Again, her decor is perfect, and I find I prefer many of the features that were first installed in her and which I enjoyed on her inaugural cruise (like the very first Explorations Cafe ... and, on the Noordam, it's located where it belongs and not up in the Crows Nest.

I think I prefer the Ryndam among the S-class ships, though the Maasdam will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm booked to cruise aboard the Veendam in January 2013, but I'm not certain I'm going to like the drastic changes that the Line made to her in an ill-begotten attempt to "improve her."

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Of all the HAL ships I've been on, I like the Vista Class the best. I always book one of the aft wraparound suites on the verandah deck for the huge balcony. IMO, they are the best cabins on any ship. I also really liked the elegance of the Amsterdam, but I really missed having the huge balcony. I was in a midship suite, but it just wasn't the same as a corner suite. I guess if I were pressed to name a favorite, it would be Zuiderdam. But, I find them all to be very nice and have great crews.

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam