CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Alaskan Cruise 6/10/12 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/387874-alaskan-cruise-6-10-12-a.html)

rws February 22nd, 2012 03:01 PM

Alaskan Cruise 6/10/12

Hi All. New to the forum and new to cruising so I have a few questions. My wife and I are just retired and decided to spend some of the children’s inheritance and go on an Alaskan Cruise. This is something we have both wanted to do for some time and we went to a HA seminar on Alaskan cruises and signed up for a two week cruise/tour. We start the land portion on June 10th or 11th. Never having been there I wondered what kind of outerwear we should take. We are going to try and get by with carry-on luggage so I do not see the point in taking a huge coat and, in fact, the folks from HA said to NOT go buy a down parka! Too bulky for packing. We land in Fairbanks, do a gold mine tour, riverboat tour, a couple of days in Denali, on to Acnhorage, Seward, and back on the boat for a week. I have looked at some of the avg temps for the area(s) we will visit and I am thinking about taking a light “shell” type jacket and layering up underneath that with a sweatshirt and thermal undershirt if needed. Will that be enough?
Any recommendations on the amount of cash to carry? The travel agent recommended something like a Visa cash card. Are these widely accepted? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Russ

DeeDee February 22nd, 2012 05:11 PM

Russ

I am thinking about taking a light “shell” type jacket and layering up underneath that with a sweatshirt and thermal undershirt if needed. Will that be enough?

Sounds good to me. Don't forget good walking shoes and a pair of shorts/ t's or golf shirt(s). Could be very warm in June once you are on the ship and you'll want something to change into.

Have a wonderful time and ENJOY. I've been about 4 times, the last for my 75th birthday and God willing I'll be back for my 80th - this time with all the kids. :)

Donna February 22nd, 2012 05:33 PM

With all the layering you do while cruising in Alaska, I may re-think just using carry-on luggage...Besides some rain gear, good walking shoes and even some t-shirts and shorts.. There is also dress clothes for the cruise as well, best to pack outfits to mix and match to save from packing too much. I just find it almost impossible to be able to pack for this length of trip with just carry-on luggage. You may also pick up a few things along the way that you will want to bring home...

rws February 23rd, 2012 09:38 AM

Cruise

Thanks for the replies. Neither of us has flown in a while and after hearing of some of the complaints with luggage checking, we were going to steer clear of that if possible. I agree that it would be nice to have the extra clothing if needed.
Any suggestions on the cash/card question?
You all are great! Thanks for the info.
Russ

MercedMike February 23rd, 2012 09:47 AM

Alaska

You will love your Alaska cruise.

For ideas on clothing, check out our trip report and pictures at Alaska Cruiestour – The Cruise

You will see that a variety of clothing and layers are the best idea.

If you can fit all you need in carry-ons, good luck to you!

As far as cash, credit or debit cards are widely accepted everyplace you will be. Your needs for cash will be minimal. On board the ship, everything is charged to your account. Carry a small amount of cash and a lot of plastic, and hit the ATM if you need any more.

Have a GREAT cruise!