Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Default Canetto Restaurant

The Canetto is the free restaurant on the HAL Veendam . If one dines there is one expected to tip the waiter at the end of the meal ?
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Technically, their tip is the same as those who work in the MDR, it comes out of the daily gratuity/day/person. Having said that, we ate there every night except one on our 4/4/12 voyage on Noordam and we did tip the wait staff, the manager, and the beverage server nightly.

Hope that helps.

PS Try the veal and the pasta with the putanesca sauce, along with the garlic bread. They are all to die for! Enjoy and mangia!
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Admiral

My wife wanted to try the restaurant on our next cruise but I looked at sample menu's and the only thing that I eat is meatballs and spaghetti and I haven't ordered that in a restaurant since I was in my teens.
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Henry, we never ate that in the 6 days we ate there. I fell in love with the veal, and the chicken was good as well. I do not eat fish but my husband raved about it. I was able to order the puttanesca sauce over pasta without the cod so you might ask them to leave off certain things from the dish if you do not care for it. They were extremely accommodating to us and to other friends who ate there. The antipasta was to die for, and so was the bread, and so was the pasta, and so was the veal and so was the ......Get the message? Go, speak with them before time, and enjoy!
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Thats great but I don't eat any of that .
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Question Food on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Thats great but I don't eat any of that .
So what DO you eat in the Main Dining Room or the buffet?

I know the menu offers steak and baked potato every night -- but for me much of the pleasure is having different things. I even had kippered herring for breakfast one morning ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Default I don't eat steak or herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
So what DO you eat in the Main Dining Room or the buffet?

I know the menu offers steak and baked potato every night -- but for me much of the pleasure is having different things. I even had kippered herring for breakfast one morning ...
We always eat in the Main Dining Room .My wife eats everything .

I will have shrimp , scallops and whatever is on the vegetarian menu at dinner time .

Lunch -cheeseburger

Breakfast -omelette

If I go to a restaurant for dinner off the ship I might have Veal Parmijan (sp) ,diced chicken with cashews and occasionally (once or twice a year) brisket .
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Default Canaletto Restaurant

Henry

I viewed the Canaletto restaurant as MDR Italian style.

I did not tip the waiter at end of meal.

Annie
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Henry, here is a copy of the menu at Canaletto's.
Canaletto Menu

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:
Our chef’s selection of antipasti, cucumber and olives WE HAD THIS EVERY NIGHT; A BIG SELECTION OF THINGS TO CHOOSE FROM HERE

Insalata Canaletto – Seasonal greens and tomato, cucumber and olives THIS WAS OK

Minestrone – A flavorful tomato broth consisting of white beans, pasta shells, fresh vegetables and thyme THIS SOUP WAS SO DELICIOUS; HAD THIS ALMOST EVERY NIGHT

Zuppe Di Pesce – Assorted seafood simmered with vegetables, tomatoes, flat parsley and saffron MY HUSBAND HAD THIS A FEW TIMES AND ENJOYED IT

PASTA, CARNE, PESCE e POLLO
Penne Alla Vodka – A deliciously light combination of our Pomodoro sauce, cream and vodka DID NOT TRY

Linguini Frutti Di Mare – Linguini pasta and clams, mussels, shrimps and scallops tossed in garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes MY HUSBAND HAD THIS MOST NIGHTS; HE SAID IT WAS TO DIE FOR

Baked Meat Lasagna Pomodoro – Baked with meat and tomato sauce and gratinated with four cheese sauce.

Veal Milanese – Breaded veal scaloppini with porcini mushrooms, spaghetti and vegetables I HAD THIS BUT SUBSTITUTED THE PASTA WITH PUTANESCA SAUCE FOR THE REST

Chicken Marsala Scaloppini – Tender Scallops of chicken breast glazed with Marsala wine. Served with linguini pasta tossed with tomato and roasted garlic HAD THIS TWO NIGHTS; WAS NOT TOO BAD

Cod Putanesca – Marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil, quickly sautéed and coated with a flavorful herbed tomato concassee with kalamata olives, capers and chopped parsley, served with grilled cheese polenta and balsamic glace I DO NOT EAT FISH BUT I LOVE THE SAUCE SO THEY MADE IT FOR ME OVER PASTA WITHOUT THE COD

Spaghetti with Meatballs – The classic way to eat spaghetti; home made meatballs braised in a tomato and meat sauce served over olive oil tossed spaghetti I CAN GET THIS AT HOME AND DID NOT TRY

DOLCI
Trio of Tiramisu – Italy’s most famous dessert: presented in three flavored variations, espresso, lemon and Amaretto

Limoncello Crème – Refreshing crème topped with Tuscan lemon liqueur

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate – With walnut praline and ice-cream

Gelato – A refreshing and full-flavored selection: strawberry, mango, vanilla and lemo

We tried all of the desserts but tended to have regular ice cream (which they got for us and was not on the menu) at night.

As I said, I do not eat fish and only eat steak once in a blue moon, but I really went to town in this restaurant. As they do not have steak nor herring on the menu, you may find something else you can order...
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Talking Why cruising is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
We always eat in the Main Dining Room .My wife eats everything .

I will have shrimp , scallops and whatever is on the vegetarian menu at dinner time .

Lunch -cheeseburger

Breakfast -omelette

If I go to a restaurant for dinner off the ship I might have Veal Parmijan (sp) ,diced chicken with cashews and occasionally (once or twice a year) brisket .
Well, clearly you do not go on a cruise for adventuresome dining!

That is the great thing about cruising and why so many of us love it -- it offers so many different opportunities for so many different folks to do things their way.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Admiral

I go on cruises to relax ,experience "new" places ,meet "new " people and read a book by my favorite author .
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Captain

I read elsewhere that HAL has started charging $10 pp for Canaletto dinner on some of the ships. My understanding is this has only started on a few of the ships. The price includes a glass of house wine/beer from what I read.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Admiral

It is now $10 pp on all ships ,I believe .The wine is not an incentive to me as I do not drink.
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Captain

The Mariners discounts that apply to Pinnacle and Tamarind also apply to Canaletto.