CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Mariner discount on pre-cruise purchase (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/390800-mariner-discount-pre-cruise-purchase.html)

jongbj July 23rd, 2012 01:15 PM

Mariner discount on pre-cruise purchase

Hi,

We're preparing ourselves for a wonderful Westerdam cruise in March of 2013. We know long wait, but heck, preparation is half the fun.

We do have a question however. As 3-star mariner we get a 25% discount on e.g. wine packages. We can also pre-order some of these packages now. How will the 25% discount be taken care of?

Thanks

Boudewijn

aerospace July 23rd, 2012 09:49 PM

I would call them they can probably charge you the discounted price over the phone.

sail7seas July 25th, 2012 09:10 PM

They will not give the discount over the phone.

You cannot get the discount on bookings/purchases you make prior to boarding the ship.

If you wish to pre-book for Pinnacle, you will have to pay the full price and the discount will be applied when you actually have your dinner in Pinnacle. We have never had any problem getting our Four Star Mariner Discount but I have read of a few people who did not see it automatically applied to their on board account.

I suggest you get a print out of your bill from Front Office or Concierge in Neptune Lounge if you are in a Deluxe Veranda Suite or Penthouse and verify the discount appears on your account.

I'll anticipate the next question someone might have and add:

If you make any purchases for excursions etc or dinner reservations, anything you pay in advance of boarding will be credited as 'bonus days' added to your Mariner Account same as though you made the purchase while aboard.

jongbj July 29th, 2012 04:46 AM

Hi

Thanks for your answer. That helped a lot. About the purchases adding to the cruise credit days, we did know that but thanks for verifying that for us.

We'll make the bookings ahead and get a preliminary bill a few days before the cruise ends.

Thanks

Boudewijn

sail7seas July 29th, 2012 11:43 PM

Perhaps someone reading here did not know about purchases made pre-cruise.

Happy to have been able to help.
Have a great cruise.

shantihhh August 22nd, 2012 03:02 PM

Good luck on that. My late husband I got our print out aboard the Noordam May/June last year and found bar errors! There was one gal at the front desk and when I waited in line, then asked her about the purchases that we did NOT make and our lost cleaning, she disappeared. Finally she told me I'd have to discuss it with HAL in Seattle. WHAT? I never got it resolved and was told oh you'll have to write blah-blah and I did nothing ever happened. My husband became ill and was in the hospital 11 times so I didn't constantly bird dog this.

Since we loved our cruises on the Westerdam and Ryndam I decided to give HAL one more chance! Noordam had many issues including not cleaning the room-not even by 10 PM and we were not in the room all day, dirty rags about the room several times, even top Housekeeping Officer became involved. Hoping the Prisendam is up to the standards that we became accustomed to on previous cruises, especially this time as I might not have patience for another Noordam expierence.

sail7seas September 2nd, 2012 01:50 PM

If I had the negative experiences you outline, I would not return.

We have sailed all the HAL ships except Prinsendam and can say nothing like that has ever happened
to us, thankfully.

I am sorry for your unfortunate episodes and hope your next cruise is better. If not........ I would find a different cruise line. :D

storybookcruises.com September 2nd, 2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shantihhh (Post 1443163)
Good luck on that. My late husband I got our print out aboard the Noordam May/June last year and found bar errors! There was one gal at the front desk and when I waited in line, then asked her about the purchases that we did NOT make and our lost cleaning, she disappeared. Finally she told me I'd have to discuss it with HAL in Seattle. WHAT? I never got it resolved and was told oh you'll have to write blah-blah and I did nothing ever happened. My husband became ill and was in the hospital 11 times so I didn't constantly bird dog this.

Since we loved our cruises on the Westerdam and Ryndam I decided to give HAL one more chance! Noordam had many issues including not cleaning the room-not even by 10 PM and we were not in the room all day, dirty rags about the room several times, even top Housekeeping Officer became involved. Hoping the Prisendam is up to the standards that we became accustomed to on previous cruises, especially this time as I might not have patience for another Noordam expierence.

We've been on 43 cruises and have sailed HAL quite a bit. Since we're seniors (62), they are more in tune with our lifestyle. But while we've only had a few minor problems with HAL, personally we prefer Celebrity, especially their new Solstice-class ships. They are absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to do a cruise on the new Reflection.

But as for your problem, you did the right thing taking it to the Purser's Office. It's always better to try and resolve it at the lowest possible level and then work your way up the chain while on the ship. Definitely want to document everything as you go along making notes of who you talked to and when. If the person at the counter was not able to take care of you, then politely request to talk to a supervisor. If you still don't get satisfaction, then request to speak to the hotel manager. If you still can't get any resolution, then make sure to turn everything over to your agent after the cruise. Of course, if you didn't use an agent, then you're on your own. But this is one of the main reasons why it's always best to use an agent as they have access to contacts you don't have and they are more than willing to use their skills to assist you. After all, they represent you and want your repeat business, whereas the cruise line represents themselves, so they'll be slow in responding and make it difficult hoping you'll eventually just give up.

Based on the information you provided, the Purser's Office should have handled this better and that reflects bad on their customer service skills. Unfortunately, sometimes one person can have a negative impact on your overall cruise experience.

Pete