Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Familiar Face

Default HAL Alaska 7 day Int. passage: suggest when, which ship?

I'm looking at what HAL calls the 7 Day Interior Passage (in 2013 it is called 7 Day Roundtrip Vancouver) for next year. I would be traveling alone and other than a committment I cannot miss on May 7, I am flexible.

Based on your experience:

- when would you recommend going? Cold doesn't bother me.
- which ship would you recommend? The Volendam and Zuiderdam make a lot of trips, so it will likely be one of these. These are different class ships, with Zuiderdam at 1900 passengers and Volendam at 1400, if I read it properly.

Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach1 View Post
I'm looking at what HAL calls the 7 Day Interior Passage (in 2013 it is called 7 Day Roundtrip Vancouver) for next year. I would be traveling alone and other than a committment I cannot miss on May 7, I am flexible.

Based on your experience:

- when would you recommend going? Cold doesn't bother me.
- which ship would you recommend? The Volendam and Zuiderdam make a lot of trips, so it will likely be one of these. These are different class ships, with Zuiderdam at 1900 passengers and Volendam at 1400, if I read it properly.

Thanks very much!
The best is late June to late July , this when the weather is usually the best. You might want to consider the Amsterdam as well , it's doing only 7 day round trips from Vancouver.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Talking Alaska on HAL!

We love Alaska! HAL is a great line to cruise to Alaska. Five of our eight cruises to Alaska have been on HAL, including both Volendam and Zuiderdam. We have cruised Alaska at all times of year from May to September!

Check out my page in the link below for several reviews of Alaska cruising with pictures. Maybe they will help you choose. And maybe they will just confuse you!

Honestly, you pretty much can't go wrong with the choices you list, or with Amsterdam too. The key point for a first time cruise to Alaska is Glacier Bay and they all include that.

Why don't you post this on the Alaska board too, not everybody reads both boards.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Captain

Even though you might not mind the cold, would you mind the rain? Would you be getting a balcony? We've gone 3 times the 2nd week in August (with covered balcony). and other than one really hard rain in Juneau on one of our trips, the weather was really good. Our HAL trip was the Zaandam and we loved that ship. I'm a "Must go to Glacier Bay" person. I haven't looked up the itineraries you mention but you might want to consider that. We prefer the smaller ships too. Less crowds and we don't need water slides and mini-golf courses some of the other lines have. Whatever your choice I'm sure you won't be disappointed.