CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   HAL Noordam 12/7/12 - Our 44th Cruise! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/393461-hal-noordam-12-7-12-our-44th-cruise.html)

storybookcruises.com December 6th, 2012 03:33 PM

HAL Noordam 12/7/12 - Our 44th Cruise!

We came down to Jacksonville to see our daughter depart for another 6-month deployment. This time she's going to Okinawa, but it's always tough to see her leave her 4-year old son and husband behind for such a long period. We're so proud of her service in the Navy, as we are of all our servicemen and women. It takes a special type of person to serve their country and their families need our love and support while their loved ones are away doing their duty.

So, we decided since we've come this far that we might as well just go on a cruise. We got a guarantee oceanview cabin for a good price on the Holland America Noordam doing a nice 10-night cruise to the Southern Caribbean. We really needed a cruise and this one matched our needs very nicely. Looking forward to a great cruise and I'll be sure and tell you all about it when we get back.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or need any information about this specific ship and/or itinerary so I can be sure to check it out for you while we're gone.

Pete

Chuck Palm December 7th, 2012 05:39 PM

David and I were on the noordam a few years back and liked her very much. In fact she is our favorite ship to date. The only caviat was that we were able to swing a rear facing corner suite due to some quick sale promotion. Wow! What a cabin! We both said we would gladly live the rest of our lives in that wonderful cabin!

Have fun!:D

sail7seas December 7th, 2012 07:30 PM

Noordam is a fabulous ship.
IMO, she is the best in HAL's fleet. They really got it right with her.
Have a great cruise.

How your DD has a safe deployment and is home soon with you and her family.

OldFartCruiser December 7th, 2012 10:22 PM

Pete,
Have a great cruise.

O F C'er

storybookcruises.com December 17th, 2012 10:50 PM

We just got back tonight and the cruise was wonderful!!!

The food was great, the staff was very good, the ship was very nice, and the weather cooperated. Overall, we could not have asked for a better experience.

The only two glitches was had was in the beginning - we were suppose to fly from Jacksonville to Tampa, then to Ft. Lauderdale, but the weather did not cooperate, so we had to rent a car and drive the 300 miles. No big deal, only cost us about an extra $90 with the car and gas.

The other glitch was the weather in Semana, Dominican Republic caused the water to be a little rough, so they couldn't do the tenders. Again, no big deal for us as it was not a port we really were interested in seeing anyway.

I'm working on a cruise review and will post it when I get it done.

But as I said, overall, it was absolutely wonderful and we have no complaints to share.

Plus, they did not take my 1/2 gallon of tequila out of my suitcase, so I was a happy camper about that. And they also added a few happy hours every day where you buy one drink and the second one is $1!!!

Half Moon Cay was awesome, as always! Our favorite private island!! The only thing I hated to see was the building of those two-story bungalows. But we just walked down the beach beyond Bungalow #14 and enjoyed a very uncrowded beach, albeit there were two ships in port that day - ours and the Nieuw Amsterdam. So it was a bit more crowded than we would like to see. But we were still the last two people off the beach!!!

More to come.

Pete

luv2cruzz July 12th, 2013 05:10 PM

I'm so happy to hear that (and a little jealous). I just got hooked on cruising about 4 years ago and cruise every year with my mom. She can't go anymore, so hence my landing on this site. I'm hoping to find a partner or two because I want to catch you all! LOL! I enjoy reading your experiences, gives me some direction on what cruises to choose. Here's to you! And to me, hopefully!